360 Camera

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
scottpcs

Post by scottpcs »

One thing that's very noticeable when using the 360 camera on my car is the rear / reversing camera looks consistently brighter / bluer than the others as per examples:

IMG_20180803_171308.jpg

IMG_20180806_204728.jpg

The tech at my dealer today reckoned that it looks normal and that under the workshop lights it looked the same as the other cameras. Personally, I beg to differ but said I'd see how I go on with it before my 3 month check.

I've seen variations on other cars with this system but none as pronounced as mine. Opinions please?
XC40 FE D4 AWD Auto - Crystal White ¦ Charcoal ¦ 20" AND Headlight Washers! ¦ Polestar

hdasmith

Post by hdasmith »

It seems to me there’s a problem with white balance on both front and back. That might be less noticeable under garage conditions with bright fluorescent lights. I don’t know if it would be a hardware problem or software configuration though. Cheap CMOS sensors often have this problem though.
Inscription Pro | Pine Grey | Amber Leather | D3 FWD Manual
Ordered 11th May 2018
Delivered 6th November 2018
scottpcs

Post by scottpcs »

hdasmith wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:55 am It seems to me there’s a problem with white balance on both front and back. That might be less noticeable under garage conditions with bright fluorescent lights. I don’t know if it would be a hardware problem or software configuration though. Cheap CMOS sensors often have this problem though.
Under certain conditions it can appear less noticeable but most of the time it's as obvious as you see in my examples.

I think both cameras could be adjusted through software but is the dealer able to do this I wonder? It didn't look anywhere near as bad on the XC90 I was loaned for a week which supposedly has the same system.

In any case the tech claims it looks normal to him but I intend to take it further.
XC40 FE D4 AWD Auto - Crystal White ¦ Charcoal ¦ 20" AND Headlight Washers! ¦ Polestar
kirsty_s2k

Post by kirsty_s2k »

That's odd - mine's definitely not like that. I've not noticed any difference in the colour on various cameras on mine.
Ex Owner. Sold Feb 2020
First Edition - Bursting Blue on 19" - D4 AWD Auto
(My other car is a 2002 Honda S2000 in Silverstone)
scottpcs

Post by scottpcs »

Car was in for the 3 month check today and to have a few niggles sorted. I raised the issue again with the service manager and when I went to pick my car up they'd replaced the rear camera - what a difference! It definitely looks normal now and I'm just glad I was vindicated.

I'll keep my eye on the front camera but the majority of the time it looks normal so we'll see. It certainly doesn't stand out in the same way that the rear camera did but if it ends up getting on my nerves I'll re-book the car in for it to be potentially replaced too but hopefully it won't need to be.
trjim2k5

Post by trjim2k5 »

Mine looks the same as your old camera! Good to know they replaced yours, will bring it up at the 3 month check.
XC40 | Inscription Pro | D3 FWD Auto | Denim Blue | Ordered 29/03/18 | Delivered 29/09/18
Deleted User 1286

Post by Deleted User 1286 »

Glad you got it sorted out. Does anyone know if we can activate the camera with voice controls? I wish there was a quicker way to turn on the camera than using the screen.

I often find it useful when driving foreword into a parking spot. Unfortunately, it only turns on when reversing which obviously makes sense, just wish there was a more convenient way to turn it on.
kirsty_s2k

Post by kirsty_s2k »

jagstyles wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:39 am Glad you got it sorted out. Does anyone know if we can activate the camera with voice controls? I wish there was a quicker way to turn on the camera than using the screen.

I often find it useful when driving foreword into a parking spot. Unfortunately, it only turns on when reversing which obviously makes sense, just wish there was a more convenient way to turn it on.

Yep - I find that - we have tiny car park at work, when I come in it's empty so I reverse park, but when I leave it's often rammed so I have to (note: I can drive in other cars without it) turn on camera to check.
It's amazing how quickly you rely on tech . . I find it odd to park hubby's car now without a 360 camera :p
Ex Owner. Sold Feb 2020
First Edition - Bursting Blue on 19" - D4 AWD Auto
(My other car is a 2002 Honda S2000 in Silverstone)
trjim2k5

Post by trjim2k5 »

If you put it in reverse, then straight back to drive and move forward slowly, the camera will stay on. Not the most elegant solution, but works for me! Would be nice to have a button for the camera though.
XC40 | Inscription Pro | D3 FWD Auto | Denim Blue | Ordered 29/03/18 | Delivered 29/09/18
melg4yng

Post by melg4yng »

Don't you just swipe the screen left and press the camera button? Unless mine is different.
Crystal White R-Design D4