Water leak!!

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
JulieG

Post by JulieG »

Recently while out for a drive, my daughter who was sitting in the passenger seat told me that she felt a drip. I didn't see anything and dismissed it. But then today, I went through a car wash and saw soap and water on my passenger side floor. This was not a few drops...more like 1/2 cup of water. The panel above it was wet with soap and water too. The glove box itself was not wet. I have only had the car for 2 months.

Moonlight

Post by Moonlight »

I purposely avoided the sunroof on my 2019 XC40 after having issues with another car - pulled away today, heard a slosh and found half a cup of water on my passenger side front matt too ..? similar issue to those I have read about - it’s come from behind the glove compartment - has anyone else had this recently - is there a fix...?

Cheers ML
WelshRobin

Post by WelshRobin »

Have you checked the drain at the bottom of the windscreen and under the back of the bonnet? The air handling intake is here too. My garden has an oak tree and the leaves fall on the windscreen and slide in large numbers into this vulnerable location.
Moonlight

Post by Moonlight »

I checked the drain holes on the passenger side and drivers side, both had a bit of grit around them but they didn’t seem blocked - I will now go and check the vents at the back of the bonnet too - thanks so much for the tip..!
NeilH

Post by NeilH »

BarryH wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:46 pm I got some things out of the lower storage area in the boot today only to find they were soaking wet. On lifting the storage liner there was at least half an inch of water sloshing about in the floor well. I think there will be a call to the dealer in the morning! I checked both the front and rear footwells for any sign of moisture but they are all ok. Our drive is fairly steep and weve had a lot of rain recently but you don't expect to find a swimming pool in your boot after some rain. Not impressed!
Hi BarryH,I’ve found the same problem.I’ve had the car a little over a month and had the first significant amount of rain today.What was the outcome with your problem please?
Moonlight

Post by Moonlight »

WelshRobin wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:24 pm Have you checked the drain at the bottom of the windscreen and under the back of the bonnet? The air handling intake is here too. My garden has an oak tree and the leaves fall on the windscreen and slide in large numbers into this vulnerable location.
Hi Robin

Double checked the drain hole on the passenger side, no blockage and water passed through ok - air intakes looked fine - I didn’t notice another drain on the drivers side or at the back of the bonnet - whereabouts is that..? There are a few other mesh areas on the drivers side assume water goes straight through those.. Also assuming if I don’t have a sunroof I don’t have rear drains - or if I do where are these to check..?

Thanks ML
Moonlight

Post by Moonlight »

NeilH wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:58 pm
BarryH wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:46 pm I got some things out of the lower storage area in the boot today only to find they were soaking wet. On lifting the storage liner there was at least half an inch of water sloshing about in the floor well. I think there will be a call to the dealer in the morning! I checked both the front and rear footwells for any sign of moisture but they are all ok. Our drive is fairly steep and weve had a lot of rain recently but you don't expect to find a swimming pool in your boot after some rain. Not impressed!
Hi BarryH,I’ve found the same problem.I’ve had the car a little over a month and had the first significant amount of rain today.What was the outcome with your problem please?
Have you got a sunroof on your car..? cheers ML
NeilH

Post by NeilH »

Yes,I have a sun roof fitted,could that be a cause of water in the lower storage area?
Moonlight

Post by Moonlight »

Hi All

I still have water coming into my passenger footwell - I have checked all drains are clear and I don’t have a sunroof.

Annoyingly it’s only happening when I leave the car for a day in the rain outside work - and not on the driveway for example. I’ve tried pouring water into the lower windscreen area that drains away fine.

So I think it’s a prolonged / angle issue.. I had wondered if I’m getting water building up in the heater channel at the base of the windscreen..?

Also water only appears as I drive away - I get a trickle that appears from behind the glove box, runs down the edge of the lower door pillar and onto the mat. One time I actually heard it slosh across the internal of the car before it appeared.

Has anyone experienced this issue or have any ideas..?

Thanks

ML
blastpipe

Post by blastpipe »

Sounds like a trip to the dealer is the best option here
T4 Auto AWD R Design March 2019