Water leak!!

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
Moonlight

Post by Moonlight »

Thought this had gone away but wishful thinking…

I’ve had a wet passenger mat twice this week which is the first time since earlier this year .. and I have no sunroof..

From what I can see the XC40 has a small drain on the drivers side and a slightly bigger drain hole on the passenger side just under the bonnet - from my experience in sudden heavy rain when the car is parked at a slight angle.. water appears to sit on the drivers side only to come sloshing over to the passenger side as you pull away - perhaps the drivers side drain can’t cope with the sudden amount of water or the drivers side drain has already been over loaded. I’ve actually heard water slosh across the car and then seen it pour down from the side of the passenger side into the footwell..

The car is kept outside, I keep it clean and try to keep the drains clear of leaves / debris…

Has anyone else experienced this…?

Moonlight

RonFleet

Post by RonFleet »

I haven't had water ingress but I did notice when washing the car in the summer that the drain holes below the windscreen were blocked, so make a habit now of checking them regularly.
Cheers,
Ron

XC40 B3 Plus Automatic
Fjord Blue
Greggspies

Post by Greggspies »

There should be no way water would get into the car from that point though. Unless there is an open seam in the metalwork.
MY22 T5 Recharge Inscription Pro in Denim Blue with Blond Interior
Moonlight

Post by Moonlight »

Greggspies wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 5:22 pm There should be no way water would get into the car from that point though. Unless there is an open seam in the metalwork.
You would hope so.. It’s odd as the drain hole under the speaker is quite evident and appears to be efficient but it’s hard to see where water is drained from on the drivers side..? Unless this side relies on various small holes in the facia around the heater intakes. This is my concern as if standing water can’t escape quick enough from here as you pull away that water may end up in the heater channel and then into the car..?

Thanks

Moonlight
Moonlight

Post by Moonlight »

RonFleet wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 5:14 pm I haven't had water ingress but I did notice when washing the car in the summer that the drain holes below the windscreen were blocked, so make a habit now of checking them regularly.
Hi Ron - Yes noted, can see the drain below the speaker - is there a similar drain on the drivers side I should be checking.?

Cheers

Moonlight
RonFleet

Post by RonFleet »

There are plastic gratings that get clogged, which I also ensure are kept clear.
Cheers,
Ron

XC40 B3 Plus Automatic
Fjord Blue
jmk473

Post by jmk473 »

Hi - recently I found a lot of water in the boot of my 2019 XC40 so came to this site to see if anyone else experienced the same thing, and looks like some of you have. We recently had a lot of rain in San Diego - 3 weeks of it being non stop. Curious if anyone found the reason why the water was pooling in their boot? I'd like to fix the problem if a solution has been identified. Thank you!

Picture2.jpg

Picture1.jpg

Timmos

Post by Timmos »

Typical fault on most cars where the bulkhead drainage hole gets blocked over time it overfills and makes the passenger floor mat wet.....in certain cars, it can cause major problems due to the 2nd ECU are located under the seat...
Andy40

Post by Andy40 »

jmk473 wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 11:53 pm Hi - recently I found a lot of water in the boot of my 2019 XC40 so came to this site to see if anyone else experienced the same thing, and looks like some of you have. We recently had a lot of rain in San Diego - 3 weeks of it being non stop. Curious if anyone found the reason why the water was pooling in their boot? I'd like to fix the problem if a solution has been identified. Thank you!
Could be coming past the boot seal at the higher point and tracking down, could be via one of the rear light fittings - perhaps it’s had a bulb change and the rear cluster hasn’t been sat back 100%.

Check to see if you can see any water track marks down any of the trim, pull the carpets back from the rear arches and see if you can see anything there.
Greggspies

Post by Greggspies »

Open the boot lid and look at the top around the hinges and the rubber parts that go through the metalwork.
MY22 T5 Recharge Inscription Pro in Denim Blue with Blond Interior