Lighting

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
XCOsmium

Post by XCOsmium »

They may possibly mean the lights flash when ABS is activated under heavy breaking? Not tried that yet but i don't see why they wouldn't as they work fine under normal breaking. I will try and get a video of the indicators and brake lights and post it if people what to try the upgrade to see if it's worth it. Not sure if you can attach videos though?? The indicator bulbs were £18.99 and brake lights £14.99 on Amazon.
D3 R-Design Pro, Osmium Grey

hdasmith

Post by hdasmith »

Ah, ok. I had seem something about flashing emergency brake kights, so you’re brobably right.

I do keep thinking it would be helpful as a following driver if the central light could be used to gauge weight of braking. Have a minimum number of lights that must be on, say half, and then the heavier the car brakes, the more of the central brake light illuminates. That way, the following driver can have an idea of “uh oh, a lorry’s just cut me up” vs. “oops, just a touch too quick”.
Inscription Pro | Pine Grey | Amber Leather | D3 FWD Manual
Ordered 11th May 2018
Delivered 6th November 2018
Rifleman

Post by Rifleman »

Just fitted a set of the LED bulbs as recommended by XCOsmium. Easy job and they seem to be working fine. Good job I did really as I found that the original passenger side rear brake lamp was blown! Cars only 1 week old :shock:
XC40 | First Edition | 2.0 D4 AWD | Bursting Blue | 19" wheels | Ordered 11/03/18 | Delivered 19th October 2018.
XCOsmium

Post by XCOsmium »

Hey Guys,

Just in case the videos werent picked up on the other thread..... here are the rear indicator and brake light videos should anyone be interested in the doing the conversion .

D3 R-Design Pro, Osmium Grey
varavital

Post by varavital »

I just fitted replacement led light bulbs for the indicators and the brake light. I went for bulbs of IPMtechology on Ebay. Took the brightes ones I could find for the indicators, 3400 lumen, which I shouldn't have done. On the led brakelights, no lumens were indicated.
Had to remove them both as the indicators were much to bright, almost blinding for someone who stood behind the car, on the other hand, the brakelights were less bright as the original ones.
Maybe I'll have a look at other ones.
Does somebody knows the lumens of the original bulbs?
The road is more important than the destination.
varavital

Post by varavital »

varavital wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:25 am Does somebody knows the lumens of the original bulbs?
For those interested:
Original PY21W indictor bulb: 280 lumen
Original H21W brake light bulb: 600 lumen
The road is more important than the destination.
TrevG

Post by TrevG »

Fitted the LED rear indicators and brake lamps today, the indicators are a vast improvement over the filament lamps with a slight improvement to the brake lights well worth the upgrade
XC40 R Design T4 Fusion Red, winter pack, electric tailgate,Sunroof, reversing camera, mud flaps ,boot liner, fitted rubber mats, and spare wheel
Ian333

Post by Ian333 »

TrevG wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:16 pm Fitted the LED rear indicators and brake lamps today, the indicators are a vast improvement over the filament lamps with a slight improvement to the brake lights well worth the upgrade
Trev,

Can you let us know exactly which bulbs you used please?

Thanks, Ian
Ordered T5 R-Design Pro with most of the bells and whistles in early May ‘18 and received delivery at end of Jan ‘19
Very Happy 😃... especially now it’s Polestarred
TrevG

Post by TrevG »

Brake lights
H21W LED CREE CanBus Bulbs Replacement For Sidelights, Reversing, Indicators, Brake lights front rear slim error-free design - Transform Your Ride (White)

Indicators

MCK Auto PY21W LED canbus amber car bulbs for indicators blinkers BAU15s 581 turn signal front rear orange - 1000 lumens brightest on the market to transform your ride (Amber)
Purchased from Amazon
XC40 R Design T4 Fusion Red, winter pack, electric tailgate,Sunroof, reversing camera, mud flaps ,boot liner, fitted rubber mats, and spare wheel
TrevG

Post by TrevG »

See XCOsmium post on page 1 for pictures of lamps in packages and fitted to vehicle, very simple to fit via access cover in boot