Factory Orange Peel Paintwork

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
bdalameda

Post by bdalameda »

My 2019 R-design with Crystal White Pearl is very nice looking. The clear coat Looks very thick and smooth without any noticeable orange peel at all. The black roof is equally smooth. Does Volvo build the XC40's in different locations? Perhaps the paintwork is better from one location over another.

Gavin G

Post by Gavin G »

Just found some information on page 31 of the Service Handbook.
It mentions "sophisticated factory processes tha create the superb finish on a Volvo - no compromises - are tolerated. It goes on to say about the pristine condition which Volvo are universally acclaimed.
I wonder if the dealers are passing complaints on Volvo or are they quite happy that they have got our cash.

To be fair, the bumpers have a nice finish. Whatever they do to the bumbers needs to be done to the rest of the body.
A shame as the car is otherwise nicely built.
Next step is the ombudsman....

If anyone else has an issue with the paintwork they should really let Volvo know. Being told that they are all like that and accepting it will never improve anything.
michael123

Post by michael123 »

bdalameda wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:11 pm My 2019 R-design with Crystal White Pearl is very nice looking. The clear coat Looks very thick and smooth without any noticeable orange peel at all. The black roof is equally smooth. Does Volvo build the XC40's in different locations? Perhaps the paintwork is better from one location over another.
Mine came from Belgium.
Gavin G

Post by Gavin G »

I'm fairly sure they all come from the same factory. I assume there is a different set up for eack colour.
The lighter colours sem best but I have seen good examples of black too. Really don't know why their QA people don't pock this up at the production line.
Thanks to everyone for taking the time to comment.
Gavin
drjamesr

Post by drjamesr »

“sophisticated factory processes tha create the superb finish on a Volvo“

It doesn’t seem likely that the factory robotics would produce such flaws. On the other hand, it used to be common in the car industry for any scrapes and knocks in transit during delivery to be touched up, inevitably of small areas and impossible to match a factory finish.
XC40 Inscription, D4 AWD, Pine Grey, black leather faced, 19” double spoke #924, Xenium, Intellisense surround, Winter/Htd wheel, Spare wheel