Park In (Park Assist Pilot thing) - Parallel Parking

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
chingf0rd

Post by chingf0rd »

I've not used this much, but when parallel parking, I've managed to use it when approaching spaces on the left, and I'm certain that it worked the one time I've approached to get a space on the right too, but recently all I get it that it is 'scanning left' - any idea how this 'assist' works to get it to scan right?
MY19 FE / Crystal White / T5 / Polestar / Ordered Jan 2018 / Delivered June 2018

hdasmith

Post by hdasmith »

I would be surprised if it could intentionally park on the side of the road facing traffic. This is against the Highway Code - https://www.gov.uk/guidance/the-highway ... 238-to-252

I'm not looking to be holier than thou - pleads the 5th amendment ;-) - just trying to explain why it probably doesn't.
Inscription Pro | Pine Grey | Amber Leather | D3 FWD Manual
Ordered 11th May 2018
Delivered 6th November 2018
Rifleman

Post by Rifleman »

hdasmith wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:48 pm I would be surprised if it could intentionally park on the side of the road facing traffic. This is against the Highway Code - https://www.gov.uk/guidance/the-highway ... 238-to-252

I'm not looking to be holier than thou - pleads the 5th amendment ;-) - just trying to explain why it probably doesn't.
But perfectly legal when driving on the continent or in a car park. It should be able to do either.
XC40 | First Edition | 2.0 D4 AWD | Bursting Blue | 19" wheels | Ordered 11/03/18 | Delivered 19th October 2018.
Boomer

Post by Boomer »

chingf0rd wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:32 am I've not used this much, but when parallel parking, I've managed to use it when approaching spaces on the left, and I'm certain that it worked the one time I've approached to get a space on the right too, but recently all I get it that it is 'scanning left' - any idea how this 'assist' works to get it to scan right?
Page 389 of manual

PAP searches the area for parking, displays
instructions and guides the car in on its passenger
side. But if required the car can also
be parked on the driver's side of the street:
• Activate the direction indicator to the
driver's side - then the system searches
for a parking space on that side of the
car instead.
XC40 FE [MY18] | T5 AWD Auto | Crystal White | 20" | Lava | Apr 18
hdasmith

Post by hdasmith »

Rifleman wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:23 pm But perfectly legal when driving on the continent or in a car park. It should be able to do either.
Fair point, hadn’t occurred to me.
Inscription Pro | Pine Grey | Amber Leather | D3 FWD Manual
Ordered 11th May 2018
Delivered 6th November 2018
Boomer

Post by Boomer »

Rifleman wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:23 pm
hdasmith wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:48 pm I would be surprised if it could intentionally park on the side of the road facing traffic. This is against the Highway Code - https://www.gov.uk/guidance/the-highway ... 238-to-252

But perfectly legal when driving on the continent or in a car park. It should be able to do either.
Also perfectly legal in nominated parking areas/bays etc along roads.

Pretty sure that I've also read (and might need to go back to the Road Traffic Act) that it is only an advisory to "do not" park "against the traffic" direction during daylight hour, but is a "must not" during night time. It's all to do with lights, and specifically reflectors.
chingf0rd

Post by chingf0rd »

So the answer was to RTFM. Use the indicators! Thanks!
MY19 FE / Crystal White / T5 / Polestar / Ordered Jan 2018 / Delivered June 2018
pjm007

Post by pjm007 »

The system should suggest you use the indicator with a message in the central display. Maybe it only suggests if it can’t assume which side?
Two XC40s - so far! Inscription Pro T5 AWD Auto - Glacier Silver/Blond/21”, fully loaded, from Jan thro Sep 2021. Polestarred. :) Also one of the first FEs - a D4 AWD Auto - Bursting Blue/Charcoal/20" from Mar thro Aug 2018. Also Polestarred. :o
Boomer

Post by Boomer »

chingfOrd, as always you are welcome :D

There might though be a nuance to that which my dealer mentioned when I first picked up the car but have never tested since. He said that for PAP to work you needed to be within 2metres (more likely 1.5m) of the side area being scanned. So inferring that you needed to be quite a way over in the "right hand" lane - if you are scanning for a parking spot on the right.

That is going to be confusing for traffic around - driving in middle/right of the road, whilst indicating right!?!
chingf0rd

Post by chingf0rd »

Boomer wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:33 pm chingfOrd, as always you are welcome :D

That is going to be confusing for traffic around - driving in middle/right of the road, whilst indicating right!?!
We only have kerbside parking and the road is always rammed with parked cars on both sides but as it's residential, it's not crazy busy - hence the park on either left or right.