Infotainment system failure

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
johnd

Post by johnd »

There's part of me that's starting to think this sort of issue is almost inevitable with modern computer-controlled systems. There's much to like about them and reliability is excellent, say 99.99%. But that's not 100.000% of course. I expect that I'll have to get used to the very occasional glitch, at least as long as eg it resets itself or at least after ignition off for a period.

I suspect the main problem is that system fault-logging hasn't properly caught up with the added complexity of modern car electronics. What's the betting that no error code has been logged or, even if it has, that it doesn't give much clue as to the underlying cause of the issue.

niteshade

Post by niteshade »

johnd wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 6:37 pm There's part of me that's starting to think this sort of issue is almost inevitable with modern computer-controlled systems. There's much to like about them and reliability is excellent, say 99.99%. But that's not 100.000% of course. I expect that I'll have to get used to the very occasional glitch, at least as long as eg it resets itself or at least after ignition off for a period.

I suspect the main problem is that system fault-logging hasn't properly caught up with the added complexity of modern car electronics. What's the betting that no error code has been logged or, even if it has, that it doesn't give much clue as to the underlying cause of the issue.
True, I guess we have to get used to these random glitches.
However as long as the system reboots after a few minutes it's not too bad.. :roll:

Something similar happened a couple of months ago though it was restricted to the drivers display. The navigation map blacked out and the popup menu wouldn't appear. Again this resolved but not after a few minutes but the next time i restarted the car.

When i mentioned this incident to the garage during the first oil change service, they confirmed that it had been logged by the car.
D3 R-Design / Bursting Blue
Stevie01

Post by Stevie01 »

My centre screen went completely black tonight when I was on the navigation screen. The radio still worked as did the navigation in the instruments. Drove the car home (about 15 minutes) and it never came back to life. Annoying, and will be booking it in to get it looked after.
T5 AWD R Design Pro / Bursting Blue. 20" / Tech Pack / Lifestyle Pack and Harman Kardon
aj05

Post by aj05 »

Not had the screen black out when driving but occasionally the system is reluctant to boot up when first getting in. The loading message just sits there except for the navigation app which nearly always loads then after a minuet or so the system reboots and so far every time this has happened it loads correctly. I asked dealer to check this on 3mnth service but car not logged any errors. when this happens you can still start and drive the car with out any problems a friend of mine is a software engineer and thinks it just cant find a parameter it needs to boot in one of the loading apps and this stops the rest loading. Im not sure but it seems to happen if the car has not been used for a couple of days
reko

Post by reko »

This morning my infotainment system blacked out, while its not the first time - it happens so sporadically i thought nothing of it... However right after it came back to life (under 30 seconds), luckily while i was at a stop light the engine cut out - stalled. That had never happened before. :!: :?: I was at an incline so if i had taken my foot off the break it would have rolled (so i was in neutral). I started the car and was relieved that it restarted, the radio went on right away the infotainment a little slower. when the light changed i found myself in park bc the car somehow reset at some point when i restarted.

I called the dealership once i got into work and taking it in tomorrow morning to be checked out.
Michaelxc40

Post by Michaelxc40 »

Yesterday whilst driving on the motorway there was a high pitch electronic screeching sound came through the speakers, this was followed by the centre screen going blank then the main driver screen going blank. I left the motorway at the next junction, switched off the engine, re started all seemed ok, then about 10 mins later the same thing happened again. This time i got out, locked the car then re started. Luckily no issues today, will monitor and report if it happens again.
T5 First edition Crystal White
gtest

Post by gtest »

My infotainment screen went black, music stopped. Even the driverdisplay went black. The system rebooted but after 30 sec it went out again.
After that no more problems, only the internet connection stayed down.
After a engine restart all well.
This is the first time in more than 2 years I had that problem.
The car was given all it updates a few months ago.
Anybody found a solution?
Xc40 T4 R-d (Nov 2018)
RonFleet

Post by RonFleet »

There's been a thread about these reboots (on this forum and another) and one idea is that DAB is causing the problem. I have had my car since last August and the screen rebooted itself on so many occasions I was getting seriously fed up. Then someone suggested switching the radio to FM before switching the car off and putting it back to DAB while driving and it's not rebooted since...could be coincidence, of course. One person posting (might have been on a different Volvo forum) said that his dealer told him it was a known bug and a fix would be released in June.
Cheers,
Ron

XC40 B3 Plus Automatic
Fjord Blue
gtest

Post by gtest »

RonFleet wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 9:26 am There's been a thread about these reboots (on this forum and another) and one idea is that DAB is causing the problem. I have had my car since last August and the screen rebooted itself on so many occasions I was getting seriously fed up. Then someone suggested switching the radio to FM before switching the car off and putting it back to DAB while driving and it's not rebooted since...could be coincidence, of course. One person posting (might have been on a different Volvo forum) said that his dealer told him it was a known bug and a fix would be released in June.
Thx for the feedback.
My xc40 has NO DAB, I hope it was a one-off. Otherwise I have to wait until November for its maintenance and soft update.
Xc40 T4 R-d (Nov 2018)
RonFleet

Post by RonFleet »

gtest wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 11:02 am
RonFleet wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 9:26 am There's been a thread about these reboots (on this forum and another) and one idea is that DAB is causing the problem. I have had my car since last August and the screen rebooted itself on so many occasions I was getting seriously fed up. Then someone suggested switching the radio to FM before switching the car off and putting it back to DAB while driving and it's not rebooted since...could be coincidence, of course. One person posting (might have been on a different Volvo forum) said that his dealer told him it was a known bug and a fix would be released in June.
Thx for the feedback.
My xc40 has NO DAB, I hope it was a one-off. Otherwise I have to wait until November for its maintenance and soft update.
Hmmm...so it won't be that, then. Sorry I can't help.
Cheers,
Ron

XC40 B3 Plus Automatic
Fjord Blue