Opening Tailgate With Foot Movement

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
Brandyman

Post by Brandyman »

Has anyone had any issues with this?

I can't seem to get it to work on my car.

Thanks
XC40 D4 Inscription. Onyx Black, Winter Pack, 360 degree Camera, Sensus Connect Premium Sound
Arrived July 4th :)

Rifleman

Post by Rifleman »

It doesn't come as standard on any of the UK range apart from the FE. You have to add the "keyless drive" option to get it.
XC40 | First Edition | 2.0 D4 AWD | Bursting Blue | 19" wheels | Ordered 11/03/18 | Delivered 19th October 2018.
allroad

Post by allroad »

Oh dear .... :lol: Sorry just had a chuckle
XC 40 FE FUSION RED D4 19" HL WASHERS TOW BAR LISBURN N.IRELAND...Now Polestarred !
pjm007

Post by pjm007 »

Two XC40s - so far! Inscription Pro T5 AWD Auto - Glacier Silver/Blond/21”, fully loaded, from Jan thro Sep 2021. Polestarred. :) Also one of the first FEs - a D4 AWD Auto - Bursting Blue/Charcoal/20" from Mar thro Aug 2018. Also Polestarred. :o
Brandyman

Post by Brandyman »

Ah right, thanks. The manual certainly doesn't make that clear as it says on p252:

If the car is equipped with keyless locking and
unlocking* then you can unlock the tailgate with
a foot movement.
The function with both opening and closing of
the tailgate is also available when the car is
equipped with power operated tailgate*.
XC40 D4 Inscription. Onyx Black, Winter Pack, 360 degree Camera, Sensus Connect Premium Sound
Rifleman

Post by Rifleman »

Brandyman wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:50 pm Ah right, thanks. The manual certainly doesn't make that clear as it says on p252:

a foot movement.
This it what is says about the power tailgate on the congurator
With this feature you conveniently open or close the tailgate from the outside using the remote control. It can also be operated via buttons on the tailgate or from the driver seat by pressing a button on the dashboard. Sensors around the tailgate opening help enhance safety when closing the tailgate. The power tailgate can also be programmed to open to a lower height than its maximum, very useful if you park in a garage with limited roof height. For extra convenience when loading, integrated illumination lights up the area under the tailgate. And making it easy to open the tailgate when your hands are full, you can add keyless locking that includes the comfortable hands-free opening and closing function of the power tailgate – just move your foot under the rear bumper and the tailgate opens and closes at your convenience.
The key phrase (forgive the pun) is “you can add keyless locking that includes the comfortable hands-free opening...”. Keyless locking is a paid for option.

It’s all a bit confusing isn’t it.
XC40 | First Edition | 2.0 D4 AWD | Bursting Blue | 19" wheels | Ordered 11/03/18 | Delivered 19th October 2018.
Brandyman

Post by Brandyman »

Rifleman wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:05 pm
Brandyman wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:50 pm Ah right, thanks. The manual certainly doesn't make that clear as it says on p252:

a foot movement.
This it what is says about the power tailgate on the congurator
With this feature you conveniently open or close the tailgate from the outside using the remote control. It can also be operated via buttons on the tailgate or from the driver seat by pressing a button on the dashboard. Sensors around the tailgate opening help enhance safety when closing the tailgate. The power tailgate can also be programmed to open to a lower height than its maximum, very useful if you park in a garage with limited roof height. For extra convenience when loading, integrated illumination lights up the area under the tailgate. And making it easy to open the tailgate when your hands are full, you can add keyless locking that includes the comfortable hands-free opening and closing function of the power tailgate – just move your foot under the rear bumper and the tailgate opens and closes at your convenience.
The key phrase (forgive the pun) is “you can add keyless locking that includes the comfortable hands-free opening...”. Keyless locking is a paid for option.

It’s all a bit confusing isn’t it.
Rifleman, thanks for that. It certainly is. If only the manuals were consistant :D
lynn654837

Post by lynn654837 »

If you have the feature, look for the sensors under the back bumper. They are closer to the license plate than I originally thought. Then you have to use a very deliberate movement, not quick, when you do it. It takes some practice. Good luck!
Tommo

Post by Tommo »

I’ve found if I do a vague semi circle wave with my foot under the left hand side of the bumper this works first time most of the time although there is a slight delay from the foot wave to the boot catch releasing sooooo be patient lol
Black stone T5 FE 19” alloys collected 29 June
Optimist

Post by Optimist »

I find that if I aim between the V and the O of the Volvo badge on the boot that works more often than not but agree on the delay
XC40 D4 First Edition Crystal White 20" wheels