Compass view

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
Tommo

Post by Tommo »

Hi all
On starting the car this morning a directional compass appeared in the btm of the dashboard between the speedo and the Rev dials thought this had somehow appeared due to a possible update overnight but when I turned off the ignition and then on again the compass has now disappeared not to return
All I can find in the manual about the compass is to turn it on and off in the rear view mirror glass via a little hole in the btm of the mirror housing but when I poke something into the hole there dosnt appear to be any kind of button inside
Has anyone else found the compass appearing in the dash ??
Black stone T5 FE 19” alloys collected 29 June

pjm007

Post by pjm007 »

Would be interested to know what shape/form the compass icon had. I see a triangle in the driver console when starting up. It shows the direction the car is “pointing” wrt the map shown in that display.

I think the compass you mention with ref. to the rear view mirror is a totally different feature which would show up IN the rear view mirror. As far as I know, our UK spec cars don’t have this compass feature installed. Like you, I can’t find any button on the base of the mirror to toggle the feature on.

Interested to hear if any others have different thoughts.

01CD0DF3-3874-4838-A838-9DD1E499489A.jpeg

Two XC40s - so far! Inscription Pro T5 AWD Auto - Glacier Silver/Blond/21”, fully loaded, from Jan thro Sep 2021. Polestarred. :) Also one of the first FEs - a D4 AWD Auto - Bursting Blue/Charcoal/20" from Mar thro Aug 2018. Also Polestarred. :o
chingf0rd

Post by chingf0rd »

Probably a glitch. The compass between the dash dials is when you select off-road drive mode.
MY19 FE / Crystal White / T5 / Polestar / Ordered Jan 2018 / Delivered June 2018
Tommo

Post by Tommo »

Didn’t think the direction indicated has been installed in the rear view mirror I couldn’t find anything through the hole
As far as the compass showing in off road drive mode I’ll have a look I’ve not placed the car in that so I’ll have a look and see if the compass comes on thanks for that 🙂
Black stone T5 FE 19” alloys collected 29 June
ZED

Post by ZED »

pjm007 wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:38 pm Would be interested to know what shape/form the compass icon had. I see a triangle in the driver console when starting up. It shows the direction the car is “pointing” wrt the map shown in that display.

I think the compass you mention with ref. to the rear view mirror is a totally different feature which would show up IN the rear view mirror. As far as I know, our UK spec cars don’t have this compass feature installed. Like you, I can’t find any button on the base of the mirror to toggle the feature on.

Interested to hear if any others have different thoughts.
I have the very same feature in my TT Roadster. I never ordered it as an option, it just came with it on.

ZED
XC40 D4 FE Polestar Crystal White. Charcoal Interior. 20” Wheels. Ordered 16 March, 2018
Original ETA June 2018 - now end of October 2018