City safe - how often?

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
ZED

Post by ZED »

[media][/media]
Telboy wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:59 pm Guys, I've had my FE since March, done 3.5k miles and have the city safe set to normal.

I've had the car in with Volvo as the city safe seems to activate (red car symbol on dash alert) nearly every day despite there clearly being nothing in the way? Volvo have calibrated and checked and double checked etc, saying all seems fine with the system.

My concern is at the moment, when it partially activates the brakes because it's thought I was going to hit something, I have been lucky not to have anything behind me. One day though, I might not be that lucky.

Now I've been driving for some 30 years and have had this feature on other cars where the odd reaction in error has happened, however not on pretty much every journey I make.

Can I therefore ask for honest feedback from the guys and girls that have their cars as to how frequently your city safe seems to trigger in what you would class as 'in error', for example it's thought you were going to hit something when clearly there is nothing in your way?

Would really welcome your feedback please on what you would do with this too as Volvo not being overly supportive on this.
As well as being concerned over spurious braking whilst having somebody behind you, I have another concern. I would have thought that spurious braking on snow/icy roads could have its own problems due to potential loss of traction.

No doubt this facility can probably be switched off in such conditions, but this is surely something else to have to think about.

Any thoughts on this issue?

ZED
XC40 D4 FE Polestar Crystal White. Charcoal Interior. 20” Wheels. Ordered 16 March, 2018
Original ETA June 2018 - now end of October 2018

GerVO

Post by GerVO »

In the NL city roads often are equipped with chicanes, short curves with posts in ordeR to slow you down. In my xc40 I experienced a sudden breaking whilst passing these poles. I therefore changed the City safety system into low engagement.
Telboy

Post by Telboy »

Time will tell on this, will be interesting to see what they say after second attempt of looking at the system.

Not sure of the issues this will cause in bad weather, especially snow for example as mentioned prior by ZED, however hope to have everything sorted well before this weather event happens in the UK.

Will keep you all posted.
XC40 T5 FE - Bursting with blue and now with some extra blue - Polestar :D
Brandyman

Post by Brandyman »

It does feel a bit over keen. I've had the brakes come on a few times when approaching a parked car that I am about to pass.
XC40 D4 Inscription. Onyx Black, Winter Pack, 360 degree Camera, Sensus Connect Premium Sound
Arrived July 4th :)
senwar

Post by senwar »

Have had mine in today for the 3 month check. Anyway, they checked into it, couldn't find any issues and said it was set on the lowest sensitivity.

It did it 3 times on my 19 mile drive home.

Its in again for a longer look in 2 weeks anyway (having it for a couple of days including looking at a couple of other niggles) but I hope this doesn't become an issue....
XC40 FE | D4 | Osmium Grey |19" wheels
Whiterdesign

Post by Whiterdesign »

When the city safety is activating does the seatbelt tighten at the same time.the reason I am asking is that an Xc90 driver on another forum had a similar problem which resulted in the seatbelt tightening up which it should do. The problem with this is that there is a limit to the number of times this can happen, think it’s about 90 times, but don’t quote me. The seatbelt then throws up an error, and it requires a new belt system to be fitted .
senwar

Post by senwar »

Don’t recall the seat belt tightening on mine and suspect if it did I’d know about it to be honest
XC40 FE | D4 | Osmium Grey |19" wheels