City safe - how often?

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
Telboy

Post by Telboy »

Guys, I've had my FE since March, done 3.5k miles and have the city safe set to normal.

I've had the car in with Volvo as the city safe seems to activate (red car symbol on dash alert) nearly every day despite there clearly being nothing in the way? Volvo have calibrated and checked and double checked etc, saying all seems fine with the system.

My concern is at the moment, when it partially activates the brakes because it's thought I was going to hit something, I have been lucky not to have anything behind me. One day though, I might not be that lucky.

Now I've been driving for some 30 years and have had this feature on other cars where the odd reaction in error has happened, however not on pretty much every journey I make.

Can I therefore ask for honest feedback from the guys and girls that have their cars as to how frequently your city safe seems to trigger in what you would class as 'in error', for example it's thought you were going to hit something when clearly there is nothing in your way?

Would really welcome your feedback please on what you would do with this too as Volvo not being overly supportive on this.
XC40 T5 FE - Bursting with blue and now with some extra blue - Polestar :D

PC40

Post by PC40 »

I’ve had my car about the same time as you and done similar mileage.
I experienced the city safe function about once a week on average. The system seems to take exeption to parked cars on the outside of bends, often in lay-bys. I know I’m going to follow the road and straighten up or turn in to avoid the parked vehicle, but when the car thinks it will hit something unless there is a steering input then it seems to apply the brakes. It clears as soon as I turn the wheel.
I think it’s gone off twice for no apparent reason but cancelled very quickly. I’m not sure what I did to override it but clearly did something to avoid slowing to much.
XC40 T5 First Edition|Bursting Blue |delivered end of March 2018
andygou

Post by andygou »

My City Safe warning light has triggered twice in 2,000 miles, each time when approaching.a vehicle parked in a lay-by. Both times the road was curving away from the lay-by, so presumably the XC40 thought it was heading direct for the parked car. In neither instance was automatic brake actuation also triggered, so, whilst slightly unexpected, I didn't see these events as a problem, more a reassurance that the various safety systems were doing their thing.

Your experiences sound altogether more severe, and I sincerely hope Volvo can sort them for you.

Please keep up up to speed on what happens.
T5 FE Bursting Blue, 19" wheels, no headlamp cleaning. Ordered 24 February, arrived at dealer 25 April, delivered 30 April.
Michaelxc40

Post by Michaelxc40 »

I had the same problem during the first 500 miles , kept activating at the slightest deviation. Took it to my dealer and they adjusted the settings in the menu and since then not had any issues whatsoever. Worth checking and adjusting
T5 First edition Crystal White
pjm007

Post by pjm007 »

Never triggered once in 3500 miles. I use the Normal setting. Defo sounds like a need for calibration.
Last edited by pjm007 on Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Two XC40s - so far! Inscription Pro T5 AWD Auto - Glacier Silver/Blond/21”, fully loaded, from Jan thro Sep 2021. Polestarred. :) Also one of the first FEs - a D4 AWD Auto - Bursting Blue/Charcoal/20" from Mar thro Aug 2018. Also Polestarred. :o
PC40

Post by PC40 »

It’s usually the same one of two places it activates with parked cars on the outside of a bend. At least I know it works.
XC40 T5 First Edition|Bursting Blue |delivered end of March 2018
senwar

Post by senwar »

Mine goes off regularly as well. Very annoying.

Mines in for its 3 month check on Tuesday so will be raising it then.
XC40 FE | D4 | Osmium Grey |19" wheels
chingf0rd

Post by chingf0rd »

I think it's deployed once in 1000 miles of driving all over the place and 5 weeks of ownership.
MY19 FE / Crystal White / T5 / Polestar / Ordered Jan 2018 / Delivered June 2018
Shaenei

Post by Shaenei »

Have you tried setting the warning distance? If it's on early switch to normal or late

Select Settings then My Car then IntelliSafe in the centre display's top view.

Under City Safety Warning, select Late, Normal or Early to set the desired warning distance.

Also worth noting the auto brake doesn't activate if you accelerate
XC40 Crystal White First Edition with T5 engine polestar'ed, lava carpet & 19" Alloys

Ordered: 11th March
Delivered: 19th October
Telboy

Post by Telboy »

Thanks all for the replies.

I've had the system checked and re calibrated and they claim it is not reacting any different to their demo car, most odd. Yet, it still activates a fair bit more than I would have thought it should and a fair bit more than you guys seem to be getting.

I've also tried the normal and early settings in the menu and even tried to set to late, don't like using the late setting as it should behave ok in normal one would've thought.

I've got car booked in Friday so will see what they say and keep you guys posted.
XC40 T5 FE - Bursting with blue and now with some extra blue - Polestar :D