Sensus to mobile data connection

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
Shaenei

Post by Shaenei »

andygou wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:41 pm
hdasmith wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:11 pm What kind of phone are you trying to connect? With an iPhone (I don't know about Android), you'll need to manually re-establish the connection each time. Although I've got loads of data on my phone, it's for that reason I plan to get a cheap SIM for the car as well - too much hassle hot-spotting the phone.
Wonder whether it's Apple or Volvo who make this necessary - either way it's about the biggest annoyance about the car!
It's Apple, hotspot is a huge drain on the battery so as soon as all devices are disconnected it'll disable the hotspot to save power
XC40 Crystal White First Edition with T5 engine polestar'ed, lava carpet & 19" Alloys

Ordered: 11th March
Delivered: 19th October

hdasmith

Post by hdasmith »

pjm007 wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:07 am Don’t believe so. Hotspot is only so eg a passenger in the back can use Wifi. But I have an onboard Sim installed so that is my permanent link with the internet.
No, I mean the hotspot feature on the phone so that it can be used by the car to connect to the internet. Not the car's hotspot for passengers using the car's data.
Inscription Pro | Pine Grey | Amber Leather | D3 FWD Manual
Ordered 11th May 2018
Delivered 6th November 2018
pjm007

Post by pjm007 »

hdasmith wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:06 am
pjm007 wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:07 am Don’t believe so. Hotspot is only so eg a passenger in the back can use Wifi. But I have an onboard Sim installed so that is my permanent link with the internet.
No, I mean the hotspot feature on the phone so that it can be used by the car to connect to the internet. Not the car's hotspot for passengers using the car's data.
Well on an iPhone, unless corrected by other board members, I don’t believe the Hotspot feature is how the car connects through the phone to the internet. It merely enables other phone/tablet etc. devices (but not the XC40) to connect through the phone to use its internet connection. An iPhone internet connection needs to be through either a mobile data service provided by the phone’s telecomms provider (eg O2, EE etc), an external Wi-Fi service which isn’t usually accessible when travelling, or the service provided through the onboard SIM card installed in the boot/trunk. The connection then in any case depends on good reception.

Happy to be corrected on any of the above. I can be sure I never have my phone Hotspot enabled while travelling, but I do have an internet connection most of the time.
Two XC40s - so far! Inscription Pro T5 AWD Auto - Glacier Silver/Blond/21”, fully loaded, from Jan thro Sep 2021. Polestarred. :) Also one of the first FEs - a D4 AWD Auto - Bursting Blue/Charcoal/20" from Mar thro Aug 2018. Also Polestarred. :o
hdasmith

Post by hdasmith »

pjm007 wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:58 am Well on an iPhone, unless corrected by other board members, I don’t believe the Hotspot feature is how the car connects through the phone to the internet. It merely enables other phone/tablet etc. devices (but not the XC40) to connect through the phone to use its internet connection. An iPhone internet connection needs to be through either a mobile data service provided by the phone’s telecomms provider (eg O2, EE etc), an external Wi-Fi service which isn’t usually accessible when travelling, or the service provided through the onboard SIM card installed in the boot/trunk. The connection then in any case depends on good reception.

Happy to be corrected on any of the above. I can be sure I never have my phone Hotspot enabled while travelling, but I do have an internet connection most of the time.
You can use a mobile's data as the car's data connection - I did this successfully in the demo car I had as there wasn't any point getting a SIM for a 48 hour drive. I believe this is what the OP is referring to. My suggestion is that they haven't re-enabled the hotspot on the mobile to allow the car to connect to it, and hence the problems they're having.

If I've misunderstood the OP's message, then happy to be corrected. Unfortunately, there's not really enough information to be able to diagnose the problem properly.
Ordered 11th May 2018
Brandyman

Post by Brandyman »

<r><QUOTE author="hdasmith" post_id="5938" time="1531750317" user_id="1179"><s>
hdasmith wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:11 pm</s>
What kind of phone are you trying to connect? With an iPhone (I don't know about Android), you'll need to manually re-establish the connection each time. Although I've got loads of data on my phone, it's for that reason I plan to get a cheap SIM for the car as well - too much hassle hot-spotting the phone.
<e>
</e></QUOTE>

I connected my iPhone 7 via Bluetooth and activated the internet option and it works perfectly. Automatically reconnects every time I get in the car.

I can't remember the settings but I just followed the manual step by step and it worked fine.
XC40 D4 Inscription. Onyx Black, Winter Pack, 360 degree Camera, Sensus Connect Premium Sound
Arrived July 4th :)
Brandyman

Post by Brandyman »

I should add data usage is really low too so I can't see any point buying a sim for the car.
XC40 D4 Inscription. Onyx Black, Winter Pack, 360 degree Camera, Sensus Connect Premium Sound
hdasmith

Post by hdasmith »

Brandyman wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:33 pm I connected my iPhone 7 via Bluetooth and activated the internet option and it works perfectly. Automatically reconnects every time I get in the car.

I can't remember the settings but I just followed the manual step by step and it worked fine.
Well you learn something every day! I didn't realise you could do that. Thanks Brandyman. I'll be using CarPlay a lot which I believe takes over the phone's bluetooth settings, so not sure that would work - unless you can teach me another new thing today?!
Ordered 11th May 2018
Brandyman

Post by Brandyman »

hdasmith wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:22 pm
Brandyman wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:33 pm I connected my iPhone 7 via Bluetooth and activated the internet option and it works perfectly. Automatically reconnects every time I get in the car.

Well you learn something every day! I didn't realise you could do that. Thanks Brandyman. I'll be using CarPlay a lot which I believe takes over the phone's bluetooth settings, so not sure that would work - unless you can teach me another new thing today?!
I can't help with that as I don't have car play.

There is a lot of tech in the car and it is a case of trial and error.
cristo31

Post by cristo31 »

i have to reconnect my iPhone 7 every time
when I get in and start the car it tries to connect but fails to establish a connection

until I touch the screen to reconnect it
I have a sim in boot for the wifi
only seems to have happened since connecting to usb for appleplay
Usually only remember to reconnect when my phones ringing on its own and not through car

very annoying
DanM

Post by DanM »

I think it's one of the recent IOS updates that does this, you have to unlock the phone when you connect it via USB in order for the phone to allow the connection. It's supposed to be for security, there are settings you can play with: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208857
XC40 First Edition - Bursting Blue