Sensus to mobile data connection

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
kirsty_s2k

Post by kirsty_s2k »

I have the same issue with Samsung S7, Android. Set it up, works for a few weeks, then it switches off and I get the internet/globe sign with a lne through it. Frustrating. Don't actually know how ot fix and get hubby to do from passenger seat :p
Ex Owner. Sold Feb 2020
First Edition - Bursting Blue on 19" - D4 AWD Auto
(My other car is a 2002 Honda S2000 in Silverstone)

scottpcs

Post by scottpcs »

I had similar issues when I first got my car but I've overcome the problem by using Tasker for Android (I have a OnePlus 3T.) Using this, I've set up a neat little script that turns the WiFi hotspot on my phone on for the car to use when it detects that the car has connected to the phone via bluetooth and when the car disconnects from my phone's bluetooth, the script then turns the WiFi hotspot off again.

It works every single time for me now and I've even added to the script to auto-launch Spotify as part of the process (and kill it once the car disconnects.) I also have a Wear OS watch and the script will automatically put it to sleep (theatre mode) when connected to the car and wake it up again once disconnected but this requires a separate plug-in for Tasker (AutoWear by the same developer - £1.20 on Google Play.)

I'm working on spoken notifications now that come through the car's bluetooth connection to the phone which is working somewhat but needs tweaking - this also involves plug-ins (AutoNotification and AutoVoice again by the same developer.) Eventually I'm integrating interactive notifications so you can even reply to say WhatsApp messages that come through but I feel I'm going off topic here.

Tasker is £2.99 on Google Play and is worth every single penny and if all you want to achieve is simple tasks like connecting the phone's Wi-Fi then that's all you need to buy. Unfortunately I don't have a solution for iPhone as it's Android only but if anyone's interested I can post the script I made for Tasker? The process involves creating a profile for the car and then an entry and exit task for it all to work properly but it's worth 10 minutes of your time to set up and then you can simply forget about it. You can even set the profile to cover several bluetooth devices / cars if you wanted which is what I've done for ours and it works flawlessly in both cars.
XC40 FE D4 AWD Auto - Crystal White ¦ Charcoal ¦ 20" AND Headlight Washers! ¦ Polestar
kirsty_s2k

Post by kirsty_s2k »

Interesting way to do it, I'd not considered it for this purpose but on my last phone (Sony) it had functionality to do the same where something triggered switching stuff on in the same way. :)
Ex Owner. Sold Feb 2020
First Edition - Bursting Blue on 19" - D4 AWD Auto
(My other car is a 2002 Honda S2000 in Silverstone)
Deleted User 1286

Post by Deleted User 1286 »

scottpcs wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:06 pm I had similar issues when I first got my car but I've overcome the problem by using Tasker for Android (I have a OnePlus 3T.) Using this, I've set up a neat little script that turns the WiFi hotspot on my phone on for the car to use when it detects that the car has connected to the phone via bluetooth and when the car disconnects from my phone's bluetooth, the script then turns the WiFi hotspot off again.

It works every single time for me now and I've even added to the script to auto-launch Spotify as part of the process (and kill it once the car disconnects.) I also have a Wear OS watch and the script will automatically put it to sleep (theatre mode) when connected to the car and wake it up again once disconnected but this requires a separate plug-in for Tasker (AutoWear by the same developer - £1.20 on Google Play.)

I'm working on spoken notifications now that come through the car's bluetooth connection to the phone which is working somewhat but needs tweaking - this also involves plug-ins (AutoNotification and AutoVoice again by the same developer.) Eventually I'm integrating interactive notifications so you can even reply to say WhatsApp messages that come through but I feel I'm going off topic here.

Tasker is £2.99 on Google Play and is worth every single penny and if all you want to achieve is simple tasks like connecting the phone's Wi-Fi then that's all you need to buy. Unfortunately I don't have a solution for iPhone as it's Android only but if anyone's interested I can post the script I made for Tasker? The process involves creating a profile for the car and then an entry and exit task for it all to work properly but it's worth 10 minutes of your time to set up and then you can simply forget about it. You can even set the profile to cover several bluetooth devices / cars if you wanted which is what I've done for ours and it works flawlessly in both cars.
That is awesome... going to download Tasker now. Any other scripts/solutions you come across as you build this out, please be sure to share the steps here - it would be appreciated by many of us android users!
scottpcs

Post by scottpcs »

jagstyles wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 12:24 am That is awesome... going to download Tasker now. Any other scripts/solutions you come across as you build this out, please be sure to share the steps here - it would be appreciated by many of us android users!
I'll work on getting some screenshots together and a step-by-step process. Some of the things I'm getting Tasker to do, especially the interactive notifications will involve some lengthy explanations but I'll start with the simple stuff first so you can get a feel for it.

I'm learning as I go along but it's really quite awesome what you can do through Tasker. Call me a lazy so and so but for me it's too much of a faff to plug my phone in to the car for most trips I do so I'm on a bit of a mission to get as much functionality out of bluetooth as I can, especially if it's all completely automated once set up so I don't even have to think about it!
XC40 FE D4 AWD Auto - Crystal White ¦ Charcoal ¦ 20" AND Headlight Washers! ¦ Polestar
Deleted User 1286

Post by Deleted User 1286 »

scottpcs wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 12:38 pm
jagstyles wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 12:24 am That is awesome... going to download Tasker now. Any other scripts/solutions you come across as you build this out, please be sure to share the steps here - it would be appreciated by many of us android users!
I'll work on getting some screenshots together and a step-by-step process. Some of the things I'm getting Tasker to do, especially the interactive notifications will involve some lengthy explanations but I'll start with the simple stuff first so you can get a feel for it.

I'm learning as I go along but it's really quite awesome what you can do through Tasker. Call me a lazy so and so but for me it's too much of a faff to plug my phone in to the car for most trips I do so I'm on a bit of a mission to get as much functionality out of bluetooth as I can, especially if it's all completely automated once set up so I don't even have to think about it!
Downloaded Tasker but looks like I have quite a bit of learning to do. Lol. Any chance of posting those screenshots? Would love to get some of your scripts loaded into the phone. Thanks!
scottpcs

Post by scottpcs »

OK, here we go...

First things first, you need to make sure that Tasker is disabled from battery optimisation, otherwise Android will put it to sleep and it won't activate automatically when you connect your phone to the car. On my phone, this is accessed by Settings -> Battery -> Battery Optimisation -> Tasker -> Don't Optimise (you'll also need to do this for any of the plug-ins that you may or may not use with Tasker.)

To also stop the annoying persistent notification that 'Tasker is running' on Android 8.0 and above, I also unchecked the 'Run In Foreground' under 'Preferences -> Monitor -> General' in Tasker itself and so far I haven't found this to have had any detrimental effect. If you find that Tasker runs unreliably then just re-check this box but I'm afraid you'll have to put up with the notification (this can be disabled using the AutoNotification plug--in but we'll address that in a later post.)

To get started, we'll create the task that will enable the phone's WiFi hotspot and launch Spotify when connected to the car. To do this, simply touch the '+' icon in the bottom-right, give the task a name and then touch the tick icon when done. The task should look like this when we're done:

Tasks-BT-Connect-Cars.jpg

For each action listed above, touch the '+' icon and then:

1. Net -> WiFi Tether -> Set ON
2. App -> Launch App -> Spotify
3. Task -> Wait -> 5 Seconds
4. Audio -> BT Voice Volume -> 12
5. Audio -> Media Volume -> 30

Now we'll create the exit task that will turn off the phone's WiFi hotspot and kill Spotify. Create another task and give it a name as above then:

Tasks-BT-Disconnect-Cars.jpg

1. App -> Go Home
2. Task -> Wait -> 1 Second
3. App -> Kill App -> Spotify
4. Net -> WiFi Tether -> Set OFF
5. Net -> Bluetooth -> Set OFF
6. Net -> WiFi -> Set OFF
7. Task -> Wait -> 5 Seconds
8. Net -> Bluetooth -> Set ON
9. Net -> WiFi -> Set ON

Finally, we need to create a profile that will run the first task when the phone is connected to the car via bluetooth and will run the second task when the phone disconnects from the car:

Profiles-BT-Cars.jpg

Create this by clicking the + icon in the bottom-right then select State -> Net -> BT Connected. Leave the Name field blank and select the magnifying glass icon in the Address field, then select your car's ID/MAC address:

BT-Connected-State.jpg

Back on the main screen, you'll be prompted to choose a task to run - select 'BT - Connect - Cars' (or whatever you named it.) Finally, long-press on the task that's just been associated with that profile and select 'Add Exit Task' then select 'BT - Disconnect - Cars' (or whatever you named it.)

That's it! You should now have created an automated task that will run each and every time your phone connects to the car. I know the exit task in particular looks a bit long-winded but it's been put together through through trial and error and it just works now - any questions just ask :)
scottpcs

Post by scottpcs »

jagstyles wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:47 pm Downloaded Tasker but looks like I have quite a bit of learning to do. Lol. Any chance of posting those screenshots? Would love to get some of your scripts loaded into the phone. Thanks!
How did you get on with the guide jagstyles? I'm interested to know how it works for others before I start making more complicated routines that will do more things?
varavital

Post by varavital »

For those who want to keep it simple and don't need extra routines, and just want an easy way to auto tether their bluetooth android smartphone, this seems a nice app to me:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... auto&hl=nl
Gonna try it soon.
If you search on "auto tethering" in Google's Play Store, you find lots of (free) app's, even to auto tether a wifi connection...
The road is more important than the destination.
scottpcs

Post by scottpcs »

varavital wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:25 pm For those who want to keep it simple and don't need extra routines, and just want an easy way to auto tether their bluetooth android smartphone, this seems a nice app to me:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... auto&hl=nl
Gonna try it soon.
If you search on "auto tethering" in Google's Play Store, you find lots of (free) app's, even to auto tether a wifi connection...
Looks like a quick and cheerful solution varavital, good find. I've not tried it personally so no idea about the reliability but seeing as it's free you might as well try it.

On a side note, I've found WiFi tethering to be much more reliable and faster than bluetooth but depending on your phone, your mileage may vary.