Getting Worried About Quality Control - Issues

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
Deleted User 1286

Post by Deleted User 1286 »

So I've had the R-Design T5 Xc40 now for almost 2 months here in Toronto Canada. I'm starting to get a little concerned about some basic quality control issues. I've outlined them below in categories:

Various Noises:
1. Significant Creaks and Squeaks from Armrest
2. Plastic piece that wraps around each of the windows on the doors make crackle/pop noises when there is a significant temperature change. For example, today it was 35 degrees Celsius in Toronto so I start the car, crank up the A/C and something about these plastics make them crackle and pop probably due to expansion and/or contraction.
3. Knocking noises on cold starts coming from the vents, doesn't happen all the time so trying to pinpoint this one.

Operational Issues:
1. Rain sensing wipers have a mind of their own. Sometimes they work, other times way too fast and other times don't come on at all. And yes, I have them enabled.
2. Proximity Sensors don't always work when parking. Sometimes they beep as they should other times I'm about to reverse into a vehicle from a parking spot and know I'm close enough that it should beep but they don't.
3. Memory Seats aren't retained between profiles. I've tried following the instructions others have provided here and even locked my profile after saving it but once the wife gets into the car with her key and profile when I get back to my vehicle the seats don't go to my desired setting. They simply aren't retained. I have to press the memory recall button to get them to go to my set seating positing.

Other Issues:
1. Fuse box compartment on driver side just below gear stick on the side uses Velcro to keep it in place but it keeps pulling away. Terrible way to keep this thing in place.

I think that covers most of the stuff I've found thus far and with each passing day becoming concerned about the quality control. This vehicle is like a magnet for interior noises. Crackles and pops come from everywhere and I believe most of it has to do with temperature changes which means they used cheap plastics.

gdbrown@sky.com

Post by gdbrown@sky.com »

I am very concerned about the interior build quality, my XC40 first edition has uprated suspension and 20inch wheels which creates a very firm ride which would be ok if the interior build quality was much better. There is not much that dose not either rattle or creek, very annoying and not expected on a car of this price cannot wait to get rid of this car, Great 11/8/2018 sold it to a volvo main dealer for a profit and feel relieved that I will not have to put up with all the creaks and rattles any longer. Have order a well built Audi Q5 will get it first September, cannot wait to get it, I will never buy another volvo,
Last edited by gdbrown@sky.com on Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
senwar

Post by senwar »

gdbrown@sky.com wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:00 pm I am very concerned about the interior build quality, my XC40 first edition has uprated suspension and 20inch wheels which creates a very firm ride which would be ok if the interior build quality was much better. There is not much that dose not either rattle or creek, very annoying and not expected on a car of this price cannot wait to get rid of this car
Surely if you have rattles or creaks you'd get them looked into? I have a rattle from the rear somewhere but will get it looked at on the 3 month check
XC40 FE | D4 | Osmium Grey |19" wheels
Deleted User 1286

Post by Deleted User 1286 »

senwar wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:12 pm
Surely if you have rattles or creaks you'd get them looked into? I have a rattle from the rear somewhere but will get it looked at on the 3 month check
I had a noise from the rear as well and tracked it down to the arm-rest for the rear-passengers. Whenever the rear passenger arm rest is down, often times it'll make noises while you're driving over bumps. Not sure if that's the same issue you're having but something to consider.
senwar

Post by senwar »

jagstyles wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:55 pm
senwar wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:12 pm
I had a noise from the rear as well and tracked it down to the arm-rest for the rear-passengers. Whenever the rear passenger arm rest is down, often times it'll make noises while you're driving over bumps. Not sure if that's the same issue you're having but something to consider.
Thanks for the info. The back armrest hasn’t been used (no rear passengers) but will at least have a look
XC40 FE | D4 | Osmium Grey |19" wheels
gdbrown@sky.com

Post by gdbrown@sky.com »

I have solved the problem of the poor build quality, I got rid of the car, problem solved and made a profit on it.
pjm007

Post by pjm007 »

gdbrown@sky.com wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:45 pm I have solved the problem of the poor build quality, I got rid of the car, problem solved and made a profit on it.
Shame - sounds like you got a “Friday afternoon” car like jagstyles. Unlucky.
Two XC40s - so far! Inscription Pro T5 AWD Auto - Glacier Silver/Blond/21”, fully loaded, from Jan thro Sep 2021. Polestarred. :) Also one of the first FEs - a D4 AWD Auto - Bursting Blue/Charcoal/20" from Mar thro Aug 2018. Also Polestarred. :o
balmoral

Post by balmoral »

gdbrown@sky.com wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:00 pm I am very concerned about the interior build quality, my XC40 first edition has uprated suspension and 20inch wheels which creates a very firm ride which would be ok if the interior build quality was much better. There is not much that dose not either rattle or creek, very annoying and not expected on a car of this price cannot wait to get rid of this car, Great 11/8/2018 sold it to a volvo main dealer for a profit and feel relieved that I will not have to put up with all the creaks and rattles any longer. Have order a well built Audi Q5 will get it first September, cannot wait to get it, I will never buy another volvo,
Well my Audi A6 Avant soon turned into a box of rattles - hope you have more luck than me. I vowed that I would never buy another Audi after that!
Inscription T5 Pine Grey Received 31/05/18
DaveSig2018

Post by DaveSig2018 »

I'm experiencing this issue, although its in the passenger compartment for right hand drive XC40.
Just making notes of any niggles (keeping my dealer aware) and will request they are sorted at its 3 month check

1. Fuse box compartment on driver side just below gear stick on the side uses Velcro to keep it in place but it keeps pulling away. Terrible way to keep this thing in place.
On order (April 2018) XC40 Inscription / T4 / Denim Blue / now on the road as of 30th July 2018!! :D
purplefox

Post by purplefox »

Hi, I joined this group just to add to this post, my S60 2013 (I've had since early/mid August) was towed off to local dealer for repair as it has a serious oil leak in the engine (well mechanic that came out classified as not safe to drive), so for at least 3 days I have an XC40 that had done about 1700 miles (it will be closer to 2500 when I give it back). I took it out yesterday for a test-drive to get used to it, and while it is nice there was a serious vibration rattle, probably from the passenger side door, if I had bought the car I'd be right back at the dealer demanding it be fixed. Funnily this morning on start up it seemed the engine (D4 Auto) had a wee stutter, but then seemed ok (it's not that cold 10 degrees C). These are not cheap cars, you should be able to expect no noises, at least for a few years from purchase, I'm sure original Volvos didn't have this problem, i certainly can;t recall so on the 240 GL my family used o have many years ago.