Armrest Driving Me Nuts!

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
scottpcs

Post by scottpcs »

jagstyles wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:52 pm I'm still suffering badly from the arm rest noise and unfortunately, I think it just comes down to a faulty design choice where they chose cheap plastics for the armrest. I'm really hoping there will be enough people complaining about it that Volvo will do something but I'm not holding out hope on this one.

I've also noticed lots of pop noises coming from where the side curtains on the windows are stored just above the windows. It typically only happens on a really hot day outside and you have the A/C on inside.
Did you ever get a resolution to this jagstyles? I've just noticed a similar issue in my car, particularly when I'm getting in and out and my elbow is pressing heavily for a moment on the edge of the arm rest.

It's something else for the 3 month check next month anyway.
XC40 FE D4 AWD Auto - Crystal White ¦ Charcoal ¦ 20" AND Headlight Washers! ¦ Polestar

Deleted User 1286

Post by Deleted User 1286 »

scottpcs wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:17 pm
jagstyles wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:52 pm I'm still suffering badly from the arm rest noise and unfortunately, I think it just comes down to a faulty design choice where they chose cheap plastics for the armrest. I'm really hoping there will be enough people complaining about it that Volvo will do something but I'm not holding out hope on this one.

I've also noticed lots of pop noises coming from where the side curtains on the windows are stored just above the windows. It typically only happens on a really hot day outside and you have the A/C on inside.
Did you ever get a resolution to this jagstyles? I've just noticed a similar issue in my car, particularly when I'm getting in and out and my elbow is pressing heavily for a moment on the edge of the arm rest.

It's something else for the 3 month check next month anyway.
Unfortunately no I haven't. I have yet to go in for my first service. I find this problem is so much worse if you have someone in the front passenger seat who is putting their elbow on the armrest at the same time as we do.

Either way it's absolutely annoying and I really hope to find some resolution to this issue.
scottpcs

Post by scottpcs »

jagstyles wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:35 pm
Either way it's absolutely annoying and I really hope to find some resolution to this issue.
I think I've found the cause, at least in my car but not sure how to resolve it yet.

The squeaking comes from the two rubber stops near the front on the underside of the armrest rubbing against the hard plastic of the centre console. As a simple test I placed a piece of paper under each of the rubber stops and tried pressing down firmly on all sides of the armrest - not a sound :?
XC40 FE D4 AWD Auto - Crystal White ¦ Charcoal ¦ 20" AND Headlight Washers! ¦ Polestar
Bob

Post by Bob »

Perhaps stick some very thin felt to the stops?

Bob
Ordered 24th February 2018: XC40, FE, T5, Crystal White, Lava Interior (additional black carpets), 19" wheels, mud flaps, Tow Bar, Polestar, was expected June/July, then 1st October.
Finally took delivery on 16th October 2018. 8-)
Sanqhar

Post by Sanqhar »

If it’s rubber just use a rubber lubricant. Something like that used to clean/shine black plastics. Had a squeaky door on a car, lubricating the rubber seal cured it. It lasted for quite a few years.

Tom
Db55

Post by Db55 »

If it’s the rubber, as mentioned previously you should try Gummi Pflege Stift (rubber care). Try amazon for purchase,got to be worth a try!.
T5 FE, osmium grey
scottpcs

Post by scottpcs »

Tried some dry lube on it this evening, we'll see how that goes but so far so good.
Deleted User 1481

Post by Deleted User 1481 »

I have a peugeot 5008 gt line and I had also a squeak somewhere around my armrest (I thought it was my chair). But on a peugeot forum someone suggested to spray some WD-40 multispray in the connection of my seatbelt and that did the trick! Perhaps you can try to apply carefully some WD-40 on the hinges of the armrest?
Deleted User 1286

Post by Deleted User 1286 »

scottpcs wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:28 pm
jagstyles wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:35 pm
I think I've found the cause, at least in my car but not sure how to resolve it yet.

The squeaking comes from the two rubber stops near the front on the underside of the armrest rubbing against the hard plastic of the centre console. As a simple test I placed a piece of paper under each of the rubber stops and tried pressing down firmly on all sides of the armrest - not a sound :?
So after reading your post I put some small cut out thin felt pads right where the rubber stoppers are and voila, no more squeak! I was so happy. Lol. I think what it does it makes the lid close snugly so that it can't really move around within the locking mechanism of the arm rest.