Armrest Driving Me Nuts!

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
Deleted User 1286

Post by Deleted User 1286 »

My armrest constantly squeaks or creaks whenever I rest my elbow or change amount of pressure on the armrest, it's especially worse when you have both your elbow and a passenger elbow on it at the same time.

I realize this is a first world problem here but the noises are driving me to drink and I'm not sure there's really anything they can do to fix it as its probably related to the type of plastics they used in the arm rest.

Anyone else have this issue?

pjm007

Post by pjm007 »

Think you may have a duff armrest or extremely over sensitive hearing jagstyles. No-one else seems to have the same problem. So over to your dealer perhaps, or stick a notice on the armrest - “NO LEANING HERE”.
Two XC40s - so far! Inscription Pro T5 AWD Auto - Glacier Silver/Blond/21”, fully loaded, from Jan thro Sep 2021. Polestarred. :) Also one of the first FEs - a D4 AWD Auto - Bursting Blue/Charcoal/20" from Mar thro Aug 2018. Also Polestarred. :o
MrParkson

Post by MrParkson »

Your not alone, I also have a squeeky armrest, identicle to your description, so much I now try my best to avoid touching it! It's my number one problem to resolve at the moment, and I should imagine it will involve a new arm rest lid. The noises are from the lid for sure as you can produce the sounds by squeezing the lid whilst it is in the open position, unacceptable squeeky creeky noises!
XC40 FE T5 Crystal White 20" LAVA!
pjm007

Post by pjm007 »

MrParkson wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:58 pm Your not alone, I also have a squeeky armrest, identicle to your description, so much I now try my best to avoid touching it! It's my number one problem to resolve at the moment, and I should imagine it will involve a new arm rest lid. The noises are from the lid for sure as you can produce the sounds by squeezing the lid whilst it is in the open position, unacceptable squeeky creeky noises!
Aha - definitely a bad batch then - affecting both European & North American shipments!
Two XC40s - so far! Inscription Pro T5 AWD Auto - Glacier Silver/Blond/21”, fully loaded, from Jan thro Sep 2021. Polestarred. :) Also one of the first FEs - a D4 AWD Auto - Bursting Blue/Charcoal/20" from Mar thro Aug 2018. Also Polestarred. :o
Deleted User 1286

MrParkson wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:58 pm Your not alone, I also have a squeeky armrest, identicle to your description, so much I now try my best to avoid touching it! It's my number one problem to resolve at the moment, and I should imagine it will involve a new arm rest lid. The noises are from the lid for sure as you can produce the sounds by squeezing the lid whilst it is in the open position, unacceptable squeeky creeky noises!
On the one hand, I'm relieved I'm not the only one with a bad armrest, on another I'm sorry to hear you're suffering from the same torturous noises. Much like you described, I now avoid touching it just to avoid the creaks and squeaks. It really is a form of torture. Lol.

Hoping a new armrest will fix it assuming the dealership will even replace it and that the new one doesn't have the same issue.
PC40

Post by PC40 »

Sitting in the car tonight waiting for for MrsPC I heard a creak from the armrest area. After some searching for the problem I think I’ve traced it. Nothing to do with the armrest. It’s the seatbelt buckle stalk rubbing on the edge of the seat cushion when you move. A bit of moving the buckle around so that the stalk no longer rubs and hopefully problem solved.
Worth a try as may save waiting on a replacement armrest that might not be the problem
XC40 T5 First Edition|Bursting Blue |delivered end of March 2018
MrParkson

Post by MrParkson »

Lucky spot for you then PC40! Unfortunately not the case for mine, 100% from the lid for me, as mentioned you can reproduce the creeks just by manipulating the lid with hands alone, and very clearly from the lid.
XC40 FE T5 Crystal White 20" LAVA!
Masergs

Post by Masergs »

MrParkson wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:01 pm Lucky spot for you then PC40! Unfortunately not the case for mine, 100% from the lid for me, as mentioned you can reproduce the creeks just by manipulating the lid with hands alone, and very clearly from the lid.
Had the same problem with the squeaking arm rest. Yesterday i took out the small waste bin to empty and replaced it back in position, the squeak as now stopped. Also the flap on the bin didnt previously return to its closed position but now works fine.
GerVO

Post by GerVO »

Anyone who has issues with a noise above the right hand side rear wheel? It’s not the safety belt mechanism, nor the rear seat safety knob, it’s not the fuel refill cap or mechanism either.
Deleted User 1286

I'm still suffering badly from the arm rest noise and unfortunately, I think it just comes down to a faulty design choice where they chose cheap plastics for the armrest. I'm really hoping there will be enough people complaining about it that Volvo will do something but I'm not holding out hope on this one.

I've also noticed lots of pop noises coming from where the side curtains on the windows are stored just above the windows. It typically only happens on a really hot day outside and you have the A/C on inside.