Throttle cutting out

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
Welshy

Post by Welshy »

Just wondering if anyone else had experienced issues with the Throttle not responding occasionally on the XC40 T5 FE? It's happened to me about 10 times in Just over 3000 miles. Once on the motorway in traffic!

To describe it. I put my foot down to accelerate and nothing eventually to the point where the pedal is as far as it goes and the car is just coasting and decelerating slowly. If I pump the accelerator or hit the break I can then accelerate again. It's quite concerning and a little dangerous.

Had Volvo assistance out to look at it once and he found nothing and I couldn't replicate it on the test with the car hooked up to diagnostics.

No warning lights come up either so I wanted to check on here if anyone had experience similar or know of a safety feature that may be causing it?

Thanks in advance
XC40 FE | T5 | AWD | Crystal White |20'' Wheels | Washers | Polestar

pjm007

Post by pjm007 »

Sorry - can’t help on that one.
Two XC40s - so far! Inscription Pro T5 AWD Auto - Glacier Silver/Blond/21”, fully loaded, from Jan thro Sep 2021. Polestarred. :) Also one of the first FEs - a D4 AWD Auto - Bursting Blue/Charcoal/20" from Mar thro Aug 2018. Also Polestarred. :o
samispade

Post by samispade »

Sounds similar to when I had the automatic speed limiter turned on.
XC40 FE Crystal White T5 no headlight washers 19" wheels. Ordered 2nd March. Delivered 26th April
Welshy

Post by Welshy »

Update!

Noticed the car break light was coming on and off when the car was parked and locked so I suspected a fault with the break sensor. If the car thinks the break is coming on, the throttle will be neutralized.

Took it to the local deal and told them I thought the break is engaging while driving.

The dealer confirmed the break sensor was not positioned correctly and replaced it.

Not had the problem since.
XC40 FE | T5 | AWD | Crystal White |20'' Wheels | Washers | Polestar
Boomer

Post by Boomer »

Excellent - and thanks for sharing.
XC40 FE [MY18] | T5 AWD Auto | Crystal White | 20" | Lava | Apr 18
ndssguy

Post by ndssguy »

Exact same thing happened to me! I also notice the pilot assist suddenly shuts off without warning as if I had just touched the brake, so I assume I have he same issue. Took it to the dealer a couple weeks ago and they had no clue. They also said there had been no other reports to Volvo on the issue, so it’s funny your problem didn’t get tracked and used to help other people like me :( I think I’ll write to the safety authorities about the flaw since it’s in more than one car apparently.
Vasileios

Post by Vasileios »

I have almost same problem
While accelerating the vehicle at some point which differs every time stops accelerating and the entire car is vibrating like the exhaust pipe is blocked or there is water in the fuel tank and the engine can not perform properly.
Been to service more than 10 times and they dont know what to do even though they have done test drives and noticed the problem themselves
thimios

Post by thimios »

Βασίλη καλησπέρα, αν βρήκες λύση ενημέρωσε με ή αν θες στείλε μου ένα τηλεφωνο
virtualal

Post by virtualal »

We have been plagued by a sudden loss
of power as an intermittent fault since we got the car in March. Loads of issues most resolved but loss
Of power problem still happening. Volvo On Call cannot help - so it’s back to the dealer for the 4th time. Ours happens generally when you need it most - ie overtaking so guess Volvo will carry on faffing around and failing to fix it until we have a major road traffic accident due to power loss mid overtake. Let’s hope all the safety systems work when that happens...
T5 R Design Hybrid
Hortivice1

Post by Hortivice1 »

I have exactly the same thing happening and it is very dangerous especially on the motorway.
Not so bad when taken out of hybrid mode.

I am taking it in to Volvo next week as car is only a month old.