Brightness Wheel Switch Doesn't Work

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
Deleted User 1286

Post by Deleted User 1286 »

I've noticed that the wheel switch right next to the power tailgate button which is supposed to let us adjust the brightness level of the instrument screen/display doesn't do anything. Anyone else have the same issue?
Last edited by Deleted User 1286 on Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

pjm007

Post by pjm007 »

Do you have all the other Settings set correctly? This is a very complex area.

469C2E03-4337-4EEA-8466-D7BDD216F68B.jpeg

Two XC40s - so far! Inscription Pro T5 AWD Auto - Glacier Silver/Blond/21”, fully loaded, from Jan thro Sep 2021. Polestarred. :) Also one of the first FEs - a D4 AWD Auto - Bursting Blue/Charcoal/20" from Mar thro Aug 2018. Also Polestarred. :o
Deleted User 1286

Thanks for the reply but this really doesn't address my question/issue. When the car is running, if I try to adjust the brightness of the instrument panel, it doesn't do anything. The brightness level doesn't change at all.
Tommo

Post by Tommo »

I think I read somewhere that the dash illumination is altered automatically dependent on the ambient light inside the car to give optimum view of the dash
Black stone T5 FE 19” alloys collected 29 June
morrishey

Post by morrishey »

Does anything else change when you rotate the knob (switch backlights etc)? I would expect that the instrument cluster screen is automatically adjusted as Tommo says.
XC40 T5 FE, Fusion Red, 20inch wheels.
Ordered 15th March. Delivery, originally June, delivered 26th October.
MrParkson

Post by MrParkson »

jagstyles wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:05 pm I've noticed that the wheel switch right next to the power tailgate button which is supposed to let us adjust the brightness level of the instrument screen/display doesn't do anything. Anyone else have the same issue?
I've noticed a similar glitch with mine but only a couple of times, I've experienced all the displays being very dim when starting the car, I've then tried to adjust them using that roller switch but nothing has changed, only when I've turn the car off and on again I regain use of that switch, which definitely does increase/decrease the brightness, hoping it's an easily fixed software glitch rather than anything else in my case...
XC40 FE T5 Crystal White 20" LAVA!
Boomer

Post by Boomer »

jagstyles wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:05 pm I've noticed that the wheel switch right next to the power tailgate button which is supposed to let us adjust the brightness level of the instrument screen/display doesn't do anything. Anyone else have the same issue?
What time of the day are you trying to use it?

Try at night (darkness) and see if it works then?
XC40 FE [MY18] | T5 AWD Auto | Crystal White | 20" | Lava | Apr 18
Deleted User 1240

Post by Deleted User 1240 »

Yeah, mine only has an effect at night when the lights come on.
Can't say I've ever felt the need to adjust it during the day.
Boomer

Post by Boomer »

pp67 wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 3:37 pm Yeah, mine only has an effect at night when the lights come on.
Can't say I've ever felt the need to adjust it during the day.
Yeah agree.. As Tommo said think there is a ambient sensor and so the brightness wheel has no impact in pretty much most daylight hours. Might be a legal requirement that driver display needs to be bright enough in daylight to be seen. You can't therefore dim below that level.
XC40 FE [MY18] | T5 AWD Auto | Crystal White | 20" | Lava | Apr 18
Deleted User 1286

Confirmed here, brightness wheel switch only works when it's dark.