Parking Proximity Sensors Not Working Properly

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
Deleted User 1286

Post by Deleted User 1286 »

I find that when reversing out of a parking spot after just starting the vehicle, the 360 degree camera pops up on the screen but I get no proximity beeps when my car is about to hit something as I reverse out of the spot.

I checked and all the settings are enabled but no beeps or warnings at all that I might reverse into something.

Ironically, when I have been driving the vehicle for a while and then reverse into a parking spot, the proximity sensors work. It only doesn't work when I start the car and reverse out of a parking spot.

Any others experience something similar?

Deleted User 1286

Can anyone comment on this issue I've been having? The cross traffic collision sensor works when reversing out of a spot but the proximity sensors do not work upon a cold start of the car and reversing out of a parking spot.

In other words, it seems to be able to detect when cars are approaching using the cross traffic sensors but if there are no cars coming, it won't beep even if I get close to hitting other parked cars or walls behind me when I reverse out of my spot.
kirsty_s2k

Post by kirsty_s2k »

Sounds like an error on your car - mine works fine with both the sensors and the cross traffic when reversing out of car park spaces.
Ex Owner. Sold Feb 2020
First Edition - Bursting Blue on 19" - D4 AWD Auto
(My other car is a 2002 Honda S2000 in Silverstone)
Brandyman

Post by Brandyman »

Mine works fine too
XC40 D4 Inscription. Onyx Black, Winter Pack, 360 degree Camera, Sensus Connect Premium Sound
Arrived July 4th :)
scottpcs

Post by scottpcs »

I can't say I've seen this problem either on my car I'm afraid, it's the one thing that does seems to be working properly mind!
XC40 FE D4 AWD Auto - Crystal White ¦ Charcoal ¦ 20" AND Headlight Washers! ¦ Polestar
Deleted User 1240

Post by Deleted User 1240 »

jagstyles wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:46 am Can anyone comment on this issue I've been having? The cross traffic collision sensor works when reversing out of a spot but the proximity sensors do not work upon a cold start of the car and reversing out of a parking spot.

In other words, it seems to be able to detect when cars are approaching using the cross traffic sensors but if there are no cars coming, it won't beep even if I get close to hitting other parked cars or walls behind me when I reverse out of my spot.
Are you actually hitting things with no warning?
I always think I'm closer to things than I really am and need to be pretty close before I get any alert.
Deleted User 1286

pp67 wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 2:32 pm
jagstyles wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:46 am Can anyone comment on this issue I've been having? The cross traffic collision sensor works when reversing out of a spot but the proximity sensors do not work upon a cold start of the car and reversing out of a parking spot.

Are you actually hitting things with no warning?
I always think I'm closer to things than I really am and need to be pretty close before I get any alert.
I'm definitely close enough that the sensors should be beeping and had my wife test it. Oddly enough, these sensors only seem to work after I've been driving for a while and then reverse into a parking stop but if I reverse out of a parking spot from a cold start, the proximity sensors don't beep.