Navigation annoyance

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
senwar

Post by senwar »

I’m sure this didn’t occur when I first got the car but I’m now noticing the nav is telling me to ‘move to the right’ every time I’m coming up to a junction on a motorway.

Example - I have 20 Miles to go on the motorway. It tells me at every junction to move to the right and the turn by turn guide shows multiple instructions even though I’m nowhere near the turn off I need. Every. Junction.

It’s driving me insane.

Any ideas?
XC40 FE | D4 | Osmium Grey |19" wheels

Boomer

Post by Boomer »

"Voice guidance - off" ?? :D

I find that voice control instruction one of the most often used.
XC40 FE [MY18] | T5 AWD Auto | Crystal White | 20" | Lava | Apr 18
senwar

Post by senwar »

Boomer wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:48 am "Voice guidance - off" ?? :D

I find that voice control instruction one of the most often used.
I had considered that to be honest - but I won't lie, I'm a bit dim when not told what to do or where to go! lol. Suppose that's what marriage has done for me.....!
Boomer

Post by Boomer »

I tend to switch off guidance on motorways/road that I know I'll be on for ages, and then "voice guidance - on" when closer to destination or its get more "complex" routing. Seems to work as a happy medium.
XC40 FE [MY18] | T5 AWD Auto | Crystal White | 20" | Lava | Apr 18
Jsuter

Post by Jsuter »

there is an option in the settings that lets you define how 'much' guidance you want. Just reduce it to minimum.
You can access it by swiping from the top of the screen once you are in the navigation mode, and choose 'navigation settings'
T4 Inscription - Pine Grey - Blond Interieur - All packs - 18‘ rim - 4c Suspension - Ordered end of March delivered 24.5.18
senwar

Post by senwar »

Jsuter wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:56 am there is an option in the settings that lets you define how 'much' guidance you want. Just reduce it to minimum.
You can access it by swiping from the top of the screen once you are in the navigation mode, and choose 'navigation settings'
I had looked in there but couldn't see anything re: guidance settings? I'll check again
senwar

Post by senwar »

Boomer wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:19 am I tend to switch off guidance on motorways/road that I know I'll be on for ages, and then "voice guidance - on" when closer to destination or its get more "complex" routing. Seems to work as a happy medium.
May be the only option. Given nav doesn't cut out podcasts (just speaks over it), it's causing more annoyance than it should (when i used carplay that 'stopped' audio)
balmoral

Post by balmoral »

I've not yet had occasion to use motorways, but are you all saying that being told to 'keep to the right' at every motorway junction is normal behaviour?!
Inscription T5 Pine Grey Received 31/05/18
senwar

Post by senwar »

balmoral wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:35 pm I've not yet had occasion to use motorways, but are you all saying that being told to 'keep to the right' at every motorway junction is normal behaviour?!
This is what is apparent on mine - but I'm positive it wasn't like this initially (I've done a lot of mway driving and only noticed it this week).
Boomer

Post by Boomer »

Senwar

Looking at the navigation manual there is an piece about "level of voice guidance" - see below. Not sure if this might help as for the most part it seem that the level is driven by "a guidance point", which I presume remains the same.

Anyway might be worth a try at different levels and seeing what the impact is for you at each motorway junction. Might be trade off depending on what you find useful. [Either way this all reminds me to check what I have it set at - and I'll certainly be dropping down a level if I can]/

Level for voice guidance
1. Press Voice Guidance Level.
2. Tap on the voice guidance required:
• None (no automatic voice guidance but
the possibility of manually requesting current
voice guidance once)
• Low (only one message per guidance
point)
• Medium (up to 3 messages per guidance
point, with limited information)
• Full (up to 4 messages per guidance
point and all available information)