USB Media and GraceNote

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
Rifleman

Post by Rifleman »

The following extract from the manual suggests you should be able to force the Sensus to use the file's original data but it could be interpreted as the locally held data in the Sensus database rather than the metadata embedded in the music file itself. Where's my FE?, I want to play ;0)

Gracenote®
Gracenote identifies artist, album, song titles
and associated images, which are shown during
playback.
Gracenote MusicID® is a standard for music recognition.
1. Press Settings in the top view.
2. Press Media Gracenote®.
3. Select settings for Gracenote data:
• Gracenote® Online Search - searches in
Gracenote's online database for playing
media.
• Gracenote® Multiple Results - selects
how to display Gracenote data if there are
more than one search results.
1 - the file's original data are used.
2 - Gracenote data are used.
3 - Gracenote or original data can be
selected.
• None - no results are shown.
XC40 | First Edition | 2.0 D4 AWD | Bursting Blue | 19" wheels | Ordered 11/03/18 | Delivered 19th October 2018.

balmoral

Post by balmoral »

Hi Rifleman

I've seen that option but it is greyed out! I agree that the manual is very vaguely worded, I'd like a more accurate description of how it all works but i think that it is a matter of lots of experimentation which I haven't got time for at the moment.

I've found this inconclusive thread on Swedespeed http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread ... -Gracenote so I'm not the only one with the problem!
Inscription T5 Pine Grey Received 31/05/18
ejd

Post by ejd »

I have just discovered this problem too. Having spent ages getting all the tags the way I wanted, I am dismayed/furious that the Volvo system seems to simply ignore them and generate its own, unhelpful index instead - with no way of turning off the guilty Gracenote feature. This is very poor from a customer point of view and Volvo should be ashamed of providing such a system in this day and age. Has anybody found a solution?
balmoral

Post by balmoral »

It is nearly a year since I first posted about this problem and I am surprised that it has taken until now for anybody else to notice it! You have my sympathies. I have to admit that I just gave up in disgust. Doesn't anybody else have this problem???
ChrisS777

Post by ChrisS777 »

I also spend significant time on this but did not manage to overcome Gracenote using it's own info on tags.
I started using playlists instead so at least i can play the songs grouped the way I prefer. Info is still as per Gracenote but that does not trouble me much.
balmoral

Post by balmoral »

Don't think that playlists will work very well for me, a few reasons:-

1. Life's too short for me to be bothered.
2. I'd rather keep one set of files that are compatible with all devices I use. and which I don't have to re-organise every time I change cars.
3. I suspect that I will run into limits on numbers of playlists etc.
4. Listen mostly to classical music and it would be a real pain to convert all symphonies, concertos etc to playlists. (It's one of the reasons why Gracenote is such a disaster for me; whoever put it together clearly didn't have a clue about classical music).
ChrisS777

Post by ChrisS777 »

Just to give some more info on the playlists:

Playlist is a plain text file with references to the full path of the tracks file names. No conversion needed.

As per the owner manual, the limit is:
Playlists 100
Tracks in a playlist 1000
ChrisLF

Post by ChrisLF »

Having recently ordered an XC40 how do you play your own music? In my current Skoda Yeti and Audi TT it's via SD cards.

Chris
2023 B4 Plus Dark FWD in Silver Dawn. Tinted Rear Windows. Spare Wheel & Tow Bar dealer fitted.

Gone - 2019 T4 R-Design FWD in Bursting Blue. Winter & Convenience Packs, Power Seat, Front Park Assist, Rear Camera, Spare Wheel & Tow Bar.
Rifleman

Post by Rifleman »

ChrisLF wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 9:28 pm Having recently ordered an XC40 how do you play your own music? In my current Skoda Yeti and Audi TT it's via SD cards.

Chris
Via a USB stick or USB portable hard drive.
If you go to the Volvo website you can download a full set of user manuals in pdf format, you should find all the information you need in those.
XC40 | First Edition | 2.0 D4 AWD | Bursting Blue | 19" wheels | Ordered 11/03/18 | Delivered 19th October 2018.
ChrisLF

Post by ChrisLF »

Thanks, I shall have a good read before the car arrives.
2023 B4 Plus Dark FWD in Silver Dawn. Tinted Rear Windows. Spare Wheel & Tow Bar dealer fitted.

Gone - 2019 T4 R-Design FWD in Bursting Blue. Winter & Convenience Packs, Power Seat, Front Park Assist, Rear Camera, Spare Wheel & Tow Bar.