Overactive fan/radiator

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
senwar

Post by senwar »

On two occasions now, I've heard a loud noise when driving. Initial occurrence I didn't have a clue what it was so parked up and could tell was coming from underneath the bonnet. Popped it up and from the engine bay was a fan/radiator noise, pretty loud. I'd only been out in the car 25 mins and it wasn't that warm.

However, its happened again today within 5 mins of setting off from cold from overnight parking. External temp 18 degrees, and on it came. Its loud enough to hear when driving and is as though its reacting to overheating.

Anyone else encountered this?
XC40 FE | D4 | Osmium Grey |19" wheels

kirsty_s2k

Post by kirsty_s2k »

Not had this happen on mine. I've done long journeys on hot days with bikes loaded too, so would have expected that to cause it if it was genuine that the fan was needed. Best get it checked out.
Ex Owner. Sold Feb 2020
First Edition - Bursting Blue on 19" - D4 AWD Auto
(My other car is a 2002 Honda S2000 in Silverstone)
senwar

Post by senwar »

Thanks kirsty - i'll mention it to the dealer then, cheers
Sanqhar

Post by Sanqhar »

DPF regenerating?

Tom
MrParkson

Post by MrParkson »

senwar wrote: Sat Jun 02, 2018 1:46 pm Thanks kirsty - i'll mention it to the dealer then, cheers
Hi Senwar, did you ever resolve this problem? Mine also come on quite often when you would never imagine it was needed...
XC40 FE T5 Crystal White 20" LAVA!
senwar

Post by senwar »

MrParkson wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:26 pm
senwar wrote: Sat Jun 02, 2018 1:46 pm Thanks kirsty - i'll mention it to the dealer then, cheers
Hi Senwar, did you ever resolve this problem? Mine also come on quite often when you would never imagine it was needed...
I haven’t raised it yet although in fairness it hasn’t happened recently. But saying that I haven’t driven the car since last Friday and given the heat it would have been interesting to see if it reoccurred.

But sounds like you’ve had a similar occurrence to me?
MrParkson

Post by MrParkson »

Ye mine comes on probably every other drive, often within the first 5 - 10 minutes even when the car has only been driven gently and regardless of outside temperature. Will be booking my 3 month check up when I get a chance so will bring it up then.
XC40 FE T5 Crystal White 20" LAVA!
senwar

Post by senwar »

I’ll be booking mine in for the check in the next couple of weeks so will flag then too. Will report back.

Same conditions as you refer to when mine has come on as well.
senwar

Post by senwar »

Had my car in twice now to be told there is nothing wrong.

Came on for 20 mins yesterday. I videoed it when parked up this time so it will be going back. Again. Not happy with the dealership in general to be honest but at least I have some form of proof this time.
Sanqhar

Post by Sanqhar »

As I said before, is the particulate filter regenerating? This will result in the engine running hot and the fan coming on.
If it is regenerating then it’s not good to interrupt the process as the excess diesel pumped into the engine is not burnt and ends up washing down the bores and diluting the engine oil.
Modern diesel engines and lots of short journeys do not mix.

There should be something in the manual regarding dpf regeneration.

See this explanation

https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/news/misce ... bout-dpfs/

Tom