Overactive fan/radiator

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
senwar

Post by senwar »

Sanqhar wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:24 pm As I said before, is the particulate filter regenerating? This will result in the engine running hot and the fan coming on.
If it is regenerating then it’s not good to interrupt the process as the excess diesel pumped into the engine is not burnt and ends up washing down the bores and diluting the engine oil.
Modern diesel engines and lots of short journeys do not mix.

There should be something in the manual regarding dpf regeneration.

See this explanation

https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/news/misce ... bout-dpfs/

Tom
Sorry I missed your original post

My journeys are primarily longer. The first time I noticed this is was on for approx 100 miles driving from Blackpool to Sheffield. It has come on immediately after starting the car on one occasion despite the car not being used for 48hrs.

Something definitely isn’t right but I’ll see what they say and if needs be referencing what you’ve said. Having read the link I have never come across a pungent smell but it could be what you say
XC40 FE | D4 | Osmium Grey |19" wheels

Sanqhar

Post by Sanqhar »

I have a diesel Yeti and since the emissions “fix” it actively regenerates when before the fix it mainly passively regenerated. I have never noticed a smell. I am told that the tickover is also raised, I have never noticed that either. What I do notice are the fans running when I swirtch off, which by then is too late. I still restart and go for a 20 min higher rev run jast to burn up the excess diesel even though having switched off I have stopped the regeneration. I have had this happen after a 50 mile dual carriageway journey. I suspect that the fix now has a mileage element and not just the ecu reading the soot content in the dpf.
Good luck at the dealer.
Tom
senwar

Post by senwar »

So a week ago I emailed the video. Quick reply to say will pass on to the workshop.

No response so chased yesterday. No apology for not getting back or delay just a ‘not heard anything will chase’. Have mentioned what’s been said in thread too.

Have to say the dealership is really beginning to wind me up in general.
XC40 FE | D4 | Osmium Grey |19" wheels