What Car - XC40 long term test

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
pjm007

Post by pjm007 »

https://www.whatcar.com/news/volvo-xc40 ... st-review/

Just spotted this latest review from What Car. Does anyone else recognise the reported auto gear box problems? Neutral? High revs? I don’t, and wonder if they need to get their car checked out for a faulty setup?
Two XC40s - so far! Inscription Pro T5 AWD Auto - Glacier Silver/Blond/21”, fully loaded, from Jan thro Sep 2021. Polestarred. :) Also one of the first FEs - a D4 AWD Auto - Bursting Blue/Charcoal/20" from Mar thro Aug 2018. Also Polestarred. :o

kirsty_s2k

Post by kirsty_s2k »

I think there has been the odd time where I've felt like it's revved a bit much when I'm in town, but I'd put that down to me just getting used to the auto/different car. I do find the change of gear a bit of a faff as he said when parking, I tend to end up looking at dash to check if I've got the gear - but I've not driven an auto where there isn't a button for reverse, so difficult to say if it's worse than any others.
Ex Owner. Sold Feb 2020
First Edition - Bursting Blue on 19" - D4 AWD Auto
(My other car is a 2002 Honda S2000 in Silverstone)
PC40

Post by PC40 »

I think it’s down to operator error. Trying to be too quick with changing gear. If your precise with the two movements then no problem. I’ve found myself in neutral when I’ve only flicked the gear lever quickly, soon learnt to make sure I moved the lever all the way to the stop in each movement. Not had any more problems.
XC40 T5 First Edition|Bursting Blue |delivered end of March 2018
pjm007

Post by pjm007 »

PC40 wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 9:05 am I think it’s down to operator error. Trying to be too quick with changing gear. If your precise with the two movements then no problem. I’ve found myself in neutral when I’ve only flicked the gear lever quickly, soon learnt to make sure I moved the lever all the way to the stop in each movement. Not had any more problems.
Agreed!
Two XC40s - so far! Inscription Pro T5 AWD Auto - Glacier Silver/Blond/21”, fully loaded, from Jan thro Sep 2021. Polestarred. :) Also one of the first FEs - a D4 AWD Auto - Bursting Blue/Charcoal/20" from Mar thro Aug 2018. Also Polestarred. :o
Boomer

Post by Boomer »

Operator error and likely aggressive shift actions. Chill and be gentle and all is good with the auto shift. Don't even think about it now.
XC40 FE [MY18] | T5 AWD Auto | Crystal White | 20" | Lava | Apr 18
senwar

Post by senwar »

Definite user error.

I was expecting to find the shifting problematic after what I'd read prior to getting the car. However, its simple to do and not really an issue. I've found myself in Neutral twice (noticed by the revving) but again due to my own error.

I find the gearbox excellent to be honest - 3rd auto I've had too
XC40 FE | D4 | Osmium Grey |19" wheels
Morten

Post by Morten »

I have a T5, sometimes in the mooring the first 200m it shifts a little uneven, otherwise no problems from my side. I used to have a D3 (163HP) I think the new shifts more smooth :-) and love the gear selector, I like it is so small, and it have a good feel to use it.

Kind regards Morten
pjm007

Post by pjm007 »

Seems pretty unanimous so far. Board members are more adept at selecting the gears, and are driving smoothly so that over revving doesn’t occur “accidentally”. We are probably not good candidates to be motoring journalists (or Editors) then?
AlexK

Post by AlexK »

Personally, I find it valid criticism. I don't see what benefit it serves to have a shift mechanism that returns to a central position and thus requires two interactions to switch between, say, R and D. A conventional mechanism is much easier, in my opinion, requiring only one movement, and is more intuitive, not the least for being achievable without having to look at it or the dash display.
Cancelled after waiting 3 months to be told delivery will take 11 months.
Jsuter

Post by Jsuter »

The real issue is for the second driver in the family who drives occasionally. For them it is quite confusing, as I got used to it
T4 Inscription - Pine Grey - Blond Interieur - All packs - 18‘ rim - 4c Suspension - Ordered end of March delivered 24.5.18