Fuse box under left hand (passenger in the UK) seat

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
MB40

Post by MB40 »

As Rifleman says there are two outputs from the piggy back connector so no danger to the host circuit. There is a small issue that some worry about in that depending on which way round you plug in the piggy back unit you could end up with the fuses being in series for the secondary output (dashcam in this instance) Not really a problem (as long as the secondary fuse rating is lower than that of the host fuse, as it would be for a dashcam) but not very electronically elegant.

Boomer, my dash cam does prevent the passenger sun visor going right round to the screen but it does go past the vertical before touching the dashcam so, in my view, not a problem.
FE D4 l Bursting Blue l 19" l Took delivery 3rd May

Dewing Point

Post by Dewing Point »

MB40 wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:18 pm
Dewing Point wrote: Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:06 am Thx all for indicating the location of fuse box. May I ask which fuses should we use to hardware the dashcam?
Hi all, just joined this excellent forum.

I successfully wired a Nextbase 512 dash cam by piggy backing off the heated steering wheel fuse in the underseat fuse box. Had planned to use the 12v socket fuse but the shape of my piggy back holder meant it could not fit in that location because adjacent fuses got in the way.
Nice!!!!! Do your dash cam have parking mode function? Is this heated sterling wheel fuse a constant powered fuse or it’s a fuse controlled by ignition ?

Where did u connect your ground connect to?
XC 40 T5 AWD, 20", 360 cam, Lava
Mickr

Post by Mickr »

Any pics of mounting etc.
FE/T5/Bursting Blue
Boomer

Post by Boomer »

MB40 wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:23 pm Boomer, my dash cam does prevent the passenger sun visor going right round to the screen but it does go past the vertical before touching the dashcam so, in my view, not a problem.
Cheers MB. Any chance of some pics?
XC40 FE [MY18] | T5 AWD Auto | Crystal White | 20" | Lava | Apr 18
MB40

Post by MB40 »

Also worth noting is that XC40's use "Micro2" blade fuses but the Nextbase hardwire kit only provides piggy back adaptors for "standard" or "Mini" blade fuses. Micro2 piggy back adaptors are available on eBay for a few quid.
MB40

Post by MB40 »

Boomer wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:53 am
MB40 wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:23 pm Boomer, my dash cam does prevent the passenger sun visor going right round to the screen but it does go past the vertical before touching the dashcam so, in my view, not a problem.
Cheers MB. Any chance of some pics?
Hopefully I have added a couple of pics.
First shows mounting position of camera on screen (pic taken from high up near the headlining, dashcam is not in passengers normal eyeline)
Second shows how far the sun visor moves (viewed from the driver's seat looking across to the passenger visor)

IMG_20180627_133350562_HDR.jpg

IMG_20180627_133415190_HDR.jpg

Boomer

Post by Boomer »

Thanks - that’s looking good.
XC40 FE [MY18] | T5 AWD Auto | Crystal White | 20" | Lava | Apr 18
early adopter

Post by early adopter »

Looks a good installation MB40. How easy was it to conceal the power supply from the dash cam to under the seat? Was it all simply tucked behind or did you have to remove any interior parts?
MB40

Post by MB40 »

early adopter wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2018 1:41 pm Looks a good installation MB40. How easy was it to conceal the power supply from the dash cam to under the seat? Was it all simply tucked behind or did you have to remove any interior parts?
Hiding the cable was surprisingly easy. No need to remove trim. It is easy to tuck it above the headlining along the top of the screen, getting it across the top of the A pillar trim is a bit tighter but gently prising the top edge of the trim gave enough room to push the cable in, I was very careful doing it as there is an airbag in there somewhere!
Tucking it under the inner edge of the door seal was easy, which took it down to the sill by the seat. Getting across under the plastic sill trim was a challenge but again a little gentle prising did the trick. Cable is now invisible all the way down and there is no damage or marks on the trim.

Sorting out the piggy back connector in the fuse box took most of the time by far. (Getting a micro2 version, finding a suitable fuse position etc)

Also had to get an earth connection, I utilised one of the mounting studs for the fuse box which is a steel stud with a nylon nut. Using an eyelet connector and a spring washer under the nylon nut worked for me.
early adopter

Post by early adopter »

Great advice mb40, thanks.