Dash Cam

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
Boomer

Post by Boomer »

Rifleman wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 5:30 pm I didn’t mean piggy back from the 12v socket itself but from the fuse feeding the 12v socket, and I meant I would run the cable under the loose rubber/plastic mats I’m intending to fit. Shouldn’t see more than a few inches of the cable from under the mat until it goes behind the rubber door seal. I can live with that, black cable against the charcoal trim shouldn’t be too much of an eyesore. Not the case for you Boomer of course due to the lava trim...
Oops - see what you meant. My bad.

Been trying to find a dash cam with orange cabling.... ;)
XC40 FE [MY18] | T5 AWD Auto | Crystal White | 20" | Lava | Apr 18

pjm007

Post by pjm007 »

Rifleman wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 1:23 pm
I think I read in the manual that the fuse for the 12v sockets is in the fuse box in the cabin, not the one in the engine compartment.
The one in the cabin is located under one of the front seats I think. Can anyone with has their car already advise on how easy it is to get into that fuse box?
I had a good root around under the left hand seat today (and the right hand). Can’t see any sign of a fuse box. Found the one in the engine compartment easily but this one is a puzzle. Maybe they stuck it somewhere else?
Two XC40s - so far! Inscription Pro T5 AWD Auto - Glacier Silver/Blond/21”, fully loaded, from Jan thro Sep 2021. Polestarred. :) Also one of the first FEs - a D4 AWD Auto - Bursting Blue/Charcoal/20" from Mar thro Aug 2018. Also Polestarred. :o
Shaenei

Post by Shaenei »

Fuses for the front and rear 12v outlets is in the engine fuse box, fuse 2 (front) and fuse 4 (rear)
XC40 Crystal White First Edition with T5 engine polestar'ed, lava carpet & 19" Alloys

Ordered: 11th March
Delivered: 19th October
Boomer

Post by Boomer »

pjm007 wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 2:57 pm
I think I read in the manual that the fuse for the 12v sockets is in the fuse box in the cabin, not the one in the engine compartment.
The one in the cabin is located under one of the front seats I think. Can anyone with has their car already advise on how easy it is to get into that fuse box?
I had a good root around under the left hand seat today (and the right hand). Can’t see any sign of a fuse box. Found the one in the engine compartment easily but this one is a puzzle. Maybe they stuck it somewhere else?
I am going to do same tonight again - I just had a cursory look before. It should be there according to the manual. Though the manual piccy isn't that helpful at all - and looks like it might be under the drivers side for a LHD.
Boomer

Post by Boomer »

Shaenei wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 3:10 pm Fuses for the front and rear 12v outlets is in the engine fuse box, fuse 2 (front) and fuse 4 (rear)
I just noticed that too (in the manual) For some reason I thought they were coming off the "under seat box" (if we can find it).

Also, and question for those more car electrics knowledge than I but I also see that those 12V sockets sit behind 15A fuses. I thought for dash cams you needed 5A fuses, and so running off/piggy backing off those connections is a no-no. Unless that this the piggy back fuse is itself a 5A???
Shaenei

Post by Shaenei »

The usb socket fuse is a 5amp one which is fuse 1 in the engine bay, you could piggy back from that
XC40 Crystal White First Edition with T5 engine polestar'ed, lava carpet & 19" Alloys

Ordered: 11th March
Delivered: 19th October
Boomer

Post by Boomer »

Boomer wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 3:35 pm
pjm007 wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 2:57 pm
I am going to do same tonight again - I just had a cursory look before. It should be there according to the manual. Though the manual piccy isn't that helpful at all - and looks like it might be under the drivers side for a LHD.
Tried again to find it last night - no joy!

I wonder though if it is built into that cross steel/box under the seat (which is box covered with carpet. Currently not prepared to rip up my beautiful lava carpet to see :D
pjm007

Post by pjm007 »

Boomer wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 10:19 am
Tried again to find it last night - no joy!

I wonder though if it is built into that cross steel/box under the seat (which is box covered with carpet. Currently not prepared to rip up my beautiful lava carpet to see :D
I wondered about that also Boomer. If it is in there then mere mortals are not meant to be getting into it.
Two XC40s - so far! Inscription Pro T5 AWD Auto - Glacier Silver/Blond/21”, fully loaded, from Jan thro Sep 2021. Polestarred. :) Also one of the first FEs - a D4 AWD Auto - Bursting Blue/Charcoal/20" from Mar thro Aug 2018. Also Polestarred. :o
Rifleman

Post by Rifleman »

I guess it’s time for an e-mail to a dealer or maybe even direct to Volvo...
XC40 | First Edition | 2.0 D4 AWD | Bursting Blue | 19" wheels | Ordered 11/03/18 | Delivered 19th October 2018.
Boomer

Post by Boomer »

Rifleman wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 11:56 am I guess it’s time for an e-mail to a dealer or maybe even direct to Volvo...
I was going to wait till my "3 month" healthcheck and ask them to show me. Don't think it's unreasonable as I would expect to be able to find and replace a fuse if needed to.

But my 3m check is not till mid-July so perhaps too late for others.