Dash Cam

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
kilyy

Post by kilyy »

I just plugged my old next base camera into the 12 socket below the sensus screen it is ignition controlled and switches off when the car is locked.
the wire is just dangling at the moment bit I will get around to tidying it up eventually.

ACertainAge

Post by ACertainAge »

kilyy wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:10 am I just plugged my old next base camera into the 12 socket below the sensus screen it is ignition controlled and switches off when the car is locked.
the wire is just dangling at the moment bit I will get around to tidying it up eventually.
I've done exactly the same with my Transcend 200, but I'm happy to be dangling!
Wedgie

Post by Wedgie »

Michaelxc40 wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:22 am I fitted the thinkware f800 pro front and rear camera just after I got my xc40. I can report no issues whatsoever with any interference or any other problems.
Michael, I have seen a couple of comments online that the Thinkware f800 Pros audio warnings are a little intrusive, and with all the other things built into the XC40 such as lane mitigation etc perhaps unnecessary, how do you find it?

Martin
hdasmith

Post by hdasmith »

Rifleman wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 12:12 pm The ferrites did the trick, DPai Mini 2 is now installed and I’m not seeing any interference with the DAB stations now. Thanks once again for the advice XCOsmium.

The camera is almost invisible from the rear until you get really close up and from the drivers seat looks quite small, doesn’t block the rear view at all.
Hi Rifleman, where did you put the ferries in the end? I’ve tried, but still getting interference from the rear camera. I’m trying to work out where the DAB aerial is to see if I can avoid it, but can’t find it in the documentation.
Inscription Pro | Pine Grey | Amber Leather | D3 FWD Manual
Ordered 11th May 2018
Delivered 6th November 2018
Rifleman

Post by Rifleman »

Ferrites are approximately 5cm from each end of the cable. I think the DAB aerial is located in or close by the shark fin on the roof so difficult to avoid with a rear view camera. Have you tried a different lighter socket power supply?
XC40 | First Edition | 2.0 D4 AWD | Bursting Blue | 19" wheels | Ordered 11/03/18 | Delivered 19th October 2018.
Roadhog

Post by Roadhog »

While in the dealership for first service I asked what their perspective on dashcams, they said only "Roadhawk" is approved by Volvo and they have had problems with a few different types fitted by others and intimated there may be warranty issues. Anybody else heard anything ?
Osmium grey FE D4
Silver Moose

Post by Silver Moose »

My (unqualified) 2p worth is that, about the only thing to worry about on any dashcam is the unshielded power cable.

That's why I'll be fitting my Garmin 55 approx 1/2 way up the windscreen, with lens just inside swept area, on passenger side. That way, I'll keep all cables well away from Intellisafe box.

I doubt whether there's much real risk at all but, keeping everything well away from the Intellisafe is my way of playing it safe. (I also take comfort in the fact that the Garmin WiFi is only turned on as required whist stationary).
Real name Carl
T4 Inscription Pro ordered 13/12/2018 - collected 30/3/2019
Bright Silver/Charcoal
Convenience pack, Intellisafe Pro, 360 camera
hdasmith

Post by hdasmith »

Rifleman wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:33 am Ferrites are approximately 5cm from each end of the cable. I think the DAB aerial is located in or close by the shark fin on the roof so difficult to avoid with a rear view camera. Have you tried a different lighter socket power supply?
Thanks Rifleman. I'm hard wired into the fuse box. Didn't have any problems until adding the rearview camera (it's an accessory to my camera - Halfords HDC400), so pretty sure it's that. I've put a ferrite core on the rear camera end which is easy enough and hidden behind trim, but I think I'll have to add another to the main camera end which will be annoying. It's a tight squeeze to fit anything inside the headlining.
Ordered 11th May 2018
Rifleman

Post by Rifleman »

hdasmith wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:44 pm
Rifleman wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:33 am Ferrites are approximately 5cm from each end of the cable. I think the DAB aerial is located in or close by the shark fin on the roof so difficult to avoid with a rear view camera. Have you tried a different lighter socket power supply?
Thanks Rifleman. I'm hard wired into the fuse box. Didn't have any problems until adding the rearview camera (it's an accessory to my camera - Halfords HDC400), so pretty sure it's that. I've put a ferrite core on the rear camera end which is easy enough and hidden behind trim, but I think I'll have to add another to the main camera end which will be annoying. It's a tight squeeze to fit anything inside the headlining.
I assume you are using a piggy-back fuse arrangement? Maybe try adding a ferrite to the power cable where it emerges from the fuse box?
XC40 | First Edition | 2.0 D4 AWD | Bursting Blue | 19" wheels | Ordered 11/03/18 | Delivered 19th October 2018.
hdasmith

Post by hdasmith »

Rifleman wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:22 pm I assume you are using a piggy-back fuse arrangement? Maybe try adding a ferrite to the power cable where it emerges from the fuse box?
Good shout, I’ll give it a try. Thanks.
Ordered 11th May 2018