Caution - re. closing the bonnet (hood for you colonials)

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
pjm007

Post by pjm007 »

Just an advisory to be careful.

I was showing a neighbour the engine compartment yesterday afternoon (I have no idea what’s under there but he was keen to see it), and closed the bonnet with the usual gentle “slam”.

Today, tootling down the M6 at 70ish, I noticed something of an up/down flexing movement at the front right of the bonnet. Pulled into the next services and found that while the LHS (passenger side on a RHD car) of the bonnet was firmly shut (that’s where the front opening catch/lever is), the RHS (driver side) was not secure. Opened and closed it again with a firmer slam.

A topic for the 3 month health check dealer visit.
Two XC40s - so far! Inscription Pro T5 AWD Auto - Glacier Silver/Blond/21”, fully loaded, from Jan thro Sep 2021. Polestarred. :) Also one of the first FEs - a D4 AWD Auto - Bursting Blue/Charcoal/20" from Mar thro Aug 2018. Also Polestarred. :o

PC40

Post by PC40 »

At least that shows the benefit of the two bonnet catches. One on the left the other on the right. I found them the first time I tried to open the bonnet as only one (left) side released as I’d not pulled the release lever far enough.
I’ve also found that the bonnet needs a firm close to make it shut properly.
XC40 T5 First Edition|Bursting Blue |delivered end of March 2018
Whiterdesign

Post by Whiterdesign »

Talking about bonnets, does the XC40 have the same facility as the XC60 whereby you can push the bonnet further open, manually , above what the gas struts have opened it to . Good facility if you are tall.