Speed camera data/operation?

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
Boomer

Post by Boomer »

Anyone have any observations about how speed camera "warnings" are working in their XC40? Two things I've noticed.

1. I've seen that the car simply doesn't seem to be picking up known speed cameras aka been there for years, and so worried about the core data.

2. What though is really strange is that one camera I pass regularly doesn't show up when travelling in the one direction (the one where you are going to be definitely caught), but heading back the other way, the warning pops up in the driver display, with a nice distance countdown (so it must be in the database). Weird.

The only thing I can think is whether the warning is only triggered if you are heading into a speed camera zone at too hot a pace?

How is everyone else doing?
XC40 FE [MY18] | T5 AWD Auto | Crystal White | 20" | Lava | Apr 18

PC40

Post by PC40 »

Mine seems ok with speed cameras but only shows the warning when approaching them from behind.ie the way they’ll catch you. Speed of approach doesn’t seem to matter.
I have noticed the speed warning sometimes gets confused. I’ve passed side roads with a 20 mph limit and although the road I’m on has a 30 mph limit the car appears to pick up the side road indication. I also cross over a main trunk road on a bridge. The limit on the road I’m on is 30 mph and the trunk road below is 70mph. For some odd reason the car displays a 50 mph symbol despite there being no signs stating this. Once I’ve cleared the bridge the display rests to 30 mph.
XC40 T5 First Edition|Bursting Blue |delivered end of March 2018
Boomer

Post by Boomer »

Thanks for sharing.
Boomer

Post by Boomer »

Ah hah!! Just found this in the manuals

If the car exceeds a detected
speed limit with the Speed
warning function activated, a
speed warning is given when
the car approaches a speed
camera, provided that the navigation
map for the area in
question contains information on speed cameras.

So presumably if you don't exceed the speed limit then you have no warning at all.

But now not sure I want to test this out.... :D