Thread for North West Europe Map data updates

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
Rifleman

Post by Rifleman »

Yeah! 21hrs & 37mins and the install has completed.
Now I can start all over again with the new map :0(
XC40 | First Edition | 2.0 D4 AWD | Bursting Blue | 19" wheels | Ordered 11/03/18 | Delivered 19th October 2018.

ChrisS777

Post by ChrisS777 »

Not sure if you have tried it but in my case using Usb port for Carplay and a USB3 type of usb stick dropped the installation time to 20m from 1h.
I am only loading map that includes Cyprus and must be way smaller than yours but the trick mentioned before made the process much shorter.
Silver Moose

Post by Silver Moose »

Well mine finished installing this morning. Didn't time it but I'd guess a total of 45 mins. Download was about the same - using Bluetooth tethering to phone (4G).

Rifleman - either your car has a problem that needs looking at, or problem grows over time (only had mine a week).

It's a fairly common problem with poorly designed systems where update files are not cleared out after installation - could this be a problem that will grow & grow?
Real name Carl
T4 Inscription Pro ordered 13/12/2018 - collected 30/3/2019
Bright Silver/Charcoal
Convenience pack, Intellisafe Pro, 360 camera
Silver Moose

Post by Silver Moose »

Quick update:

I downloaded the 2nd set today (presumably something wrong with 1st version?) and timed it this time:

45 mins download (straight to car via tethered phone)

45 mins installation

Then had message to leave car with engine off to initialise.

IMG_20190407_144931.jpg

IMG_20190407_152642.jpg

Real name Carl
T4 Inscription Pro ordered 13/12/2018 - collected 30/3/2019
Bright Silver/Charcoal
Convenience pack, Intellisafe Pro, 360 camera
varavital

Post by varavital »

In the past I only updated the maps I needed, but the installation always took quite some (long) time. It also was annoying that if you wanted several countries, you just had to update them one at a time, so always start all over again for another country. I did this using a 32GB SanDisk Cruzer Switch.

I then purchased a Kingston DataTraveler microDuo 3C 128GB usb 3.1 stick with a read speed of 100MB/s. Last weekend I downloaded the complete Europe map of 49,25GB on this stick and inserted the stick in the normal usb port (not the android one with white surrounding). Installing the complete map is way faster than installing separate countries, and it does show you the progress on the centre screen:

I did make a stop on my way, and the installation resumes after starting again. I took a total of 39 minutes to update the complete Europe map. The update of several different countries like Benelux, Germany, France and Spain took a lot longer.

When updating the complete set, you can't use the navigation but you do see the percentage of installing on the navigation blind.
When updating only one country, you can still use the nav, but you can't see the progress on the main screen unless you go to the download section, you only see the little blue circle in the top right of the screen, as you can see also when updating the complete map.

Hope this helps a little bit.
The road is more important than the destination.