Thread for North West Europe Map data updates

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
Spikebyt

Post by Spikebyt »

hdasmith wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:32 am I’m using one of these:

It says it’s 150MB/s. Not quite convinced I’ve seen that speed, might be closer to 150Mb/s. unfortunately, marketing teams don’t seem to know the difference.
I see no picture. Am I the only one ?
XC40 T5 AWD First Edition in Ice White with Blonde interior and Scandinavian Pack
(Parking heater and heated steering wheel plus heated rear seats)

libbers

Post by libbers »

Spikebyt wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:30 pm I see no picture. Am I the only one ?
Me too... I think it is an embedded amazon product link, which my ad blocker does not like.
T4 R-Design Pro | Bursting Blue | Convinience, Xenium, Intellisafe Surround & HK Sound | Ordered 30 April, Collected 19 December 🎉
hdasmith

Post by hdasmith »

Libbers is right, if you’re using safari on iOS, press and hold the refresh button, and chose reload without content blockers.
Inscription Pro | Pine Grey | Amber Leather | D3 FWD Manual
Ordered 11th May 2018
Delivered 6th November 2018
Shaenei

Post by Shaenei »

varavital wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:35 pm
Spikebyt wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:21 am I have tried to upload with both 2.0 and 3.0 USB stick. In the XC40 I saw no significant difference in upload speed. I'm also curious to port speeds in the car.
All 2.0 and 3.0 USB sticks exist with different read (and write) speeds. So even a slow 3.0 USB stick won't perform good in comparison to a faster 2.0 USB stick. That's why I'm interested in the read speeds of the USB sticks of those who claim to update the maps in a short time. Unfortunately, this is usually only mentioned on the packaging, not on the stick itself...
not quite sure what's good and bad, but just ran a speed test on my device which takes about 40 mins to update and here's the results

Screenshot 2018-12-13 at 20.28.39.png

which equates to 141.6mbps write and 135.2mbps read
XC40 Crystal White First Edition with T5 engine polestar'ed, lava carpet & 19" Alloys

Ordered: 11th March
Delivered: 19th October
Spikebyt

Post by Spikebyt »

libbers wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:03 pm
Spikebyt wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:30 pm I see no picture. Am I the only one ?
Me too... I think it is an embedded amazon product link, which my ad blocker does not like.
I run on PC with W10 and Ad Blocker Pro. After switching it off the picture was visible
Have to keep sharp to myself to switch ABP off before I post this kind of messages
XC40 T5 AWD First Edition in Ice White with Blonde interior and Scandinavian Pack
(Parking heater and heated steering wheel plus heated rear seats)
Rifleman

Post by Rifleman »

Apologies but I feel the need to rant about how incredibly slow map updates are once again.

I downloaded the North Western Europe map (UK,Ireland) map by connecting the car to the home Wi-Fi. Download took just under 4 minutes to complete, progress was shown as a percentage count all the way through. Then the message changed to “Installing Software”.
I have driven for a total of 10 hours since the download but still the installing message persists with no indication of progress, just the usual spinning blue circle....

In my opinion this verges on being ridiculous. I’m off on a driving holiday in France in a couple of months. Think I’ll wait until I get back from that trip before installing the latest French map. Hopefully it will finish that update before I go again in 2020.
Pathetic!
XC40 | First Edition | 2.0 D4 AWD | Bursting Blue | 19" wheels | Ordered 11/03/18 | Delivered 19th October 2018.
Whiterdesign

Post by Whiterdesign »

Don’t have a XC40 but a XC60. But same sensus. I have always downloaded the full map database, nearly 40 GB. Takes a while on PC but just leave it to do its thing. Insert in car and it has never taken more than 35 to 40 mins to complete. You do loose mapping and sign recognition but not a problem. Once tried to load just NW Europe, mapping seems to stay on, but it took over an hour. Guess it might be something to do with keeping the mapping running that it takes longer.
hdasmith

Post by hdasmith »

Same for me. Download to a USB stick, installed during my commute 30-35mins.
Inscription Pro | Pine Grey | Amber Leather | D3 FWD Manual
Ordered 11th May 2018
Delivered 6th November 2018
Rifleman

Post by Rifleman »

Now chalked up 20hrs, still installing the map. Even more infuriating is since downloading and beginning the install the map has been updated again! Grrrrr!
XC40 | First Edition | 2.0 D4 AWD | Bursting Blue | 19" wheels | Ordered 11/03/18 | Delivered 19th October 2018.
Silver Moose

Post by Silver Moose »

I suspect not all is as it seems. I downloaded maps successfully, installation started & I thought all was good as no messages.

My phone had updated its software & disabled Bluetooth tethering. Once I'd re-enabled & got Internet back, 'Installing software' message returned.

Looks like 'Installing' also involves an amount of additional downloading???

Though, on second thoughts, could just be message hierarchy?
Real name Carl
T4 Inscription Pro ordered 13/12/2018 - collected 30/3/2019
Bright Silver/Charcoal
Convenience pack, Intellisafe Pro, 360 camera