Thread for North West Europe Map data updates

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
hdasmith

Post by hdasmith »

Spikebyt wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:46 pm Can you tell me/us more specific. The term "blind" does not make sense to me
Only spinning circle I see during update is a (very) small spinning circle in the upper rightmost corner of the central Sensus Display
On the middle screen, you have four “blinds” when no specific app is open. The top is navigation, and when doing the updates, the right hand side shows a progress wheel.

The next blind down is radio, then phone, then app/CarPlay/Android Auto.
Inscription Pro | Pine Grey | Amber Leather | D3 FWD Manual
Ordered 11th May 2018
Delivered 6th November 2018

Spikebyt

Post by Spikebyt »

hdasmith wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:43 pm
Spikebyt wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:46 pm Can you tell me/us more specific. The term "blind" does not make sense to me
Only spinning circle I see during update is a (very) small spinning circle in the upper rightmost corner of the central Sensus Display
On the middle screen, you have four “blinds” when no specific app is open. The top is navigation, and when doing the updates, the right hand side shows a progress wheel.

The next blind down is radio, then phone, then app/CarPlay/Android Auto.
Thanks for the update, hdasmith. I already replied a post before that I see no progress indicator on that navigation "blind"
Just to be 100% sure, you are updating over USB and NOT over WiFi or G3/G4 ??. Maybe that can explain the diffecences
I found out that Baltic states update is only 440 kb in size. I will try tomorrow to transfer over Wifi when XC40 is before my house
When ftransfer is going on I will take pictures and report back here what I saw on screen
XC40 T5 AWD First Edition in Ice White with Blonde interior and Scandinavian Pack
(Parking heater and heated steering wheel plus heated rear seats)
hdasmith

Post by hdasmith »

I’ve done it twice now, both is USB, and using each of the USB ports on the front - both work in the same way for map updates. I haven’t tried the USB-C port in the back yet. Maybe next time.

I would take a photo, but I don’t need any updates, so it won’t.
Ordered 11th May 2018
BarryH

Post by BarryH »

Yes Spikebyt, i get the tiny rotating disc to show the map data is being uploaded to the car but nothing to indicate the percentage completion as described by hdasmith.
D4 Auto Design Pro, Crystal White,
Spikebyt

Post by Spikebyt »

BarryH wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:18 pm Yes Spikebyt, i get the tiny rotating disc to show the map data is being uploaded to the car but nothing to indicate the percentage completion as described by hdasmith.
Okay, same as here. I did a test to download another small file over Hotspot on my iPhone. During that test I saw a progress indicator during download. After the download it changed to install and aborted with an error that disappeared so quickly I could no read. I'll try to upload picture with progress indicator to this mail.

197C12CD-5402-4620-801D-A75CACA88DC5.jpeg

XC40 T5 AWD First Edition in Ice White with Blonde interior and Scandinavian Pack
varavital

Post by varavital »

I’m planning to buy a new usb stick for the map updates, thinking my old sticks may be too slow. I noticed that some of you mentioned shorter times to have the maps installed than others. I was thinking that maybe this could also have something to do with the usb stick used. Has anybody an idea of the read speed of the usb 2.0 ports in the car? Nothing in the manual about these 2 usb ports, other than they are 2.0 versions. Or which usb stick / read speed do you use to have the fastest installation of the maps in the car?
The road is more important than the destination.
Spikebyt

Post by Spikebyt »

varavital wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:17 am I’m planning to buy a new usb stick for the map updates, thinking my old sticks may be too slow. I noticed that some of you mentioned shorter times to have the maps installed than others. I was thinking that maybe this could also have something to do with the usb stick used. Has anybody an idea of the read speed of the usb 2.0 ports in the car? Nothing in the manual about these 2 usb ports, other than they are 2.0 versions. Or which usb stick / read speed do you use to have the fastest installation of the maps in the car?
I have tried to upload with both 2.0 and 3.0 USB stick. In the XC40 I saw no significant difference in upload speed. I'm also curious to port speeds in the car.
varavital

Post by varavital »

Spikebyt wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:21 am I have tried to upload with both 2.0 and 3.0 USB stick. In the XC40 I saw no significant difference in upload speed. I'm also curious to port speeds in the car.
All 2.0 and 3.0 USB sticks exist with different read (and write) speeds. So even a slow 3.0 USB stick won't perform good in comparison to a faster 2.0 USB stick. That's why I'm interested in the read speeds of the USB sticks of those who claim to update the maps in a short time. Unfortunately, this is usually only mentioned on the packaging, not on the stick itself...
The road is more important than the destination.
Spikebyt

Post by Spikebyt »

varavital wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:35 pm
Spikebyt wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:21 am I have tried to upload with both 2.0 and 3.0 USB stick. In the XC40 I saw no significant difference in upload speed. I'm also curious to port speeds in the car.
All 2.0 and 3.0 USB sticks exist with different read (and write) speeds. So even a slow 3.0 USB stick won't perform good in comparison to a faster 2.0 USB stick. That's why I'm interested in the read speeds of the USB sticks of those who claim to update the maps in a short time. Unfortunately, this is usually only mentioned on the packaging, not on the stick itself...
If you want I can try to get speeds from my sticks from internet to compare.
hdasmith

Post by hdasmith »

I’m using one of these:

It says it’s 150MB/s. Not quite convinced I’ve seen that speed, might be closer to 150Mb/s. unfortunately, marketing teams don’t seem to know the difference.
Ordered 11th May 2018