Unable to send text messages

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
Sputnik

Post by Sputnik »

Has anyone had trouble sending out text messages through the display? Everything is connected correctly and will receive and read out incoming messages but the minute I try to reply I get an error message saying unable to send. Anyone any ideas? I’m lost with this one.

Running an iPhone X latest IOS and all the boxes ticked under the Bluetooth settings on phone and car.
XC40 FE - White 20” Wheels With headlight washers - Ordered 4th February 2018 & Delivered 10th April 2018

Boomer

Post by Boomer »

Sputnik, pretty sure that I read in past research of all things Volvo/XC/Sensus etc that Sensus itself won't do sending texts. It may be that this was just over Bluetooth and perhaps you can through carplay and siri?

But then again the manual (page 495) does suggest you can send an text. . Perhaps it is a Sensus/iPhone interaction issue?
XC40 FE [MY18] | T5 AWD Auto | Crystal White | 20" | Lava | Apr 18
Boomer

Post by Boomer »

Bingo. Found what I was I thinking about. Looks like bad news. You need to look at this page (I've started here as others might have different phones etc)

https://support.volvocars.com/uk/blueto ... fault.aspx

Select Sensus Connect, region and product

and this hopefully will get you here for iphones.

https://support.volvocars.com/uk/blueto ... #phonelist

Unfortunately the iPhone X isn't listed at the moment but if you select any of the listed iPhone models you'll see that Sending SMS is not supported!!!! I'm assuming it's the same for the X.

Perhaps possible though the apple carplay? Let us know how you get on.
Sputnik

Post by Sputnik »

Cheers Boomer.

This is what I was referring to https://support.volvocars.com/uk/cars/p ... 51139ff706

It’s possible to receive and send messages using the the messages app on the applications screen. Dealer gave me a demo of this but still for the life of me can’t get it to work. Called Volvo on call for a helping hand and they couldn’t help and asked me to go in to the dealer. Only a minor thing but getting really frustrated with it. Will receive and read out a text but fails to send a reply
XC40 FE - White 20” Wheels With headlight washers - Ordered 4th February 2018 & Delivered 10th April 2018
Boomer

Post by Boomer »

Did you actually send a message whilst with the dealer?

There is a key caveat at the top of the page you shared....copied below.

"In some phones, the message function must be activated. Not all phones are compatible. In such cases, they cannot display contacts and messages in the car. For compatibility, see support.volvocars.com."

It is that compatibility that I referred to in my earlier post. The iphones just don't seem to have SMS sending with Sensus connect (standalone) - well not according to Volvo's own compatibility listing where they have a big red cross against that function (the send SMS function).

All the other functions - receive and read text seem to be active, and you seem to have those. Follow through my instructions above and click on any of the iPhone pictures - it then sets out what the phone will do OR not. Look in the SMS section.
Last edited by Boomer on Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:12 pm, edited 3 times in total.
AlexK

Post by AlexK »

Seem to remember this had something to do with iMessage.
Cancelled after waiting 3 months to be told delivery will take 11 months.
Boomer

Post by Boomer »

In which case then we are into apple carplay? and not just standalone Sensus with a BT'ed phone?

Sure we'll crack this.
Sputnik

Post by Sputnik »

The dealer showed me with his phone which was also an iPhone X. Will keep trying anyway but thanks for your help
AlexK

Post by AlexK »

There's a setting in your iPhone to disable iMessage, which forces text messages instead. Give that a shot and see if it changes anything.
Cancelled after waiting 3 months to be told delivery will take 11 months.
Boomer

Post by Boomer »

Sputnik - sorry and not wishing to labour this - on the link that you provided if you click on the little blue icon at the end of the section "Sending text messages in the centre display" this also sets out that "only certain phones can broadcast messages from the car" and refers you onto the support page.