Double defect

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
Mikeg1

Post by Mikeg1 »

That must explain it. 'cos my view is it's flawless compared to the mechanical system on my previous Skodas. Does B4 have a different S/S system to other XC40 models?
Mike. West Yorks.

MY22 B4P R Design 8 sp auto, Thunder Grey with Climate, Park Assist, Android Auto, Car Protection & mudflaps, Service Plan.

Ordered 02/11/21, collected 17/11/21

Felindre

Post by Felindre »

Yes, originally all the cars has a SS system that basically controlled the normal starting system and relied on the 12v battery charge.
The B series has a dedicated 48v battery, and the 48v generator is also the motor starting the engine (the conventional inertia starter is gone). And because it's belt driven on the engine you get no noisy engagement and whirring as with traditional starter motors. Because it has it's own dedicated more powerful battery it doesn't have the problem of it losing charge.
B4 AWD Inscription , Fusion Red, Blond interior. Drivers Assist, Climate, Tinted rear windows and Towing pack.
Ordered 14 Dec 20, delivered 10 March 21
Mikeg1

Post by Mikeg1 »

Cheers Felindre 👍🏻
Mike. West Yorks.

MY22 B4P R Design 8 sp auto, Thunder Grey with Climate, Park Assist, Android Auto, Car Protection & mudflaps, Service Plan.

Ordered 02/11/21, collected 17/11/21
Poacher

Post by Poacher »

I've had this problem with my 2020 T3 for some time. After talking to my local dealer several times about the problem, I was told that Volvo would not replace the battery under warranty as the problem is caused by lack of use and is not a fault. The support battery is now incapable of retaining a charge even with increased use. It seems to me that either the charging system or the support battery itself is inadequate
XC40London

Post by XC40London »

UPDATE: Since this problem first occurring in May 2022 a lot has happened, mostly disappointing.

I bought my XC40 from Volvo Slough, back in June 2019.

The error messages telling me that the Park Assist System is temporarily unavailable, and that the Start/Stop requires a service, were at first intermittent, but eventually became more and more frequent. It is now constant, and I am getting an additional message telling me the rain sensor requires serving too.

Since first experiencing this defect, I have brought my car in to Volvo Slough three times.

The first time (May 2022) the diagnostic equipment was apparently not working. I brought it back in a second time (May 2022), and they reported no defect found (the car must have been having a "good" day).

I brought it it a third time (June 2022), and they finally were able to diagnose that both batteries (starter battery and support battery) were defective. This occurred just after the three year warranty period expired (June 2022).

Volvo now want to charge me to replace both batteries (albeit they have offered a discounted price as "good will").

For both batteries to become defective and need replacing after less than three years feels very wrong to me. I have even been told that the apparent reason for the error messages in May 2022 (before the warranty expired) was through not driving the car enough, even though over three years I have done more than eighteen-thousand miles in it.
The reason now, for those same error messages is two faulty batteries, which according to the dealership were not faulty in May (?!).

Am I being scammed by Volvo? Is it unrealistic of me to expect the batteries to last longer than three years?
Chris John

Post by Chris John »

Not driving the car enough seems to be a favourite excuse by Volvo. I’ve had that when I told them the stop/start wasn’t fit for service. It’s my fault apparently for only doing 5k miles a year. Utter rubbish
Volvo XC40 T5 R-Drive Pro. Thunder Grey with lots of extras
Andy40

Post by Andy40 »

XC40London wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 5:08 pm UPDATE: Since this problem first occurring in May 2022 a lot has happened, mostly disappointing.

I bought my XC40 from Volvo Slough, back in June 2019.

The error messages telling me that the Park Assist System is temporarily unavailable, and that the Start/Stop requires a service, were at first intermittent, but eventually became more and more frequent. It is now constant, and I am getting an additional message telling me the rain sensor requires serving too.

Since first experiencing this defect, I have brought my car in to Volvo Slough three times.

The first time (May 2022) the diagnostic equipment was apparently not working. I brought it back in a second time (May 2022), and they reported no defect found (the car must have been having a "good" day).

I brought it it a third time (June 2022), and they finally were able to diagnose that both batteries (starter battery and support battery) were defective. This occurred just after the three year warranty period expired (June 2022).

Volvo now want to charge me to replace both batteries (albeit they have offered a discounted price as "good will").

For both batteries to become defective and need replacing after less than three years feels very wrong to me. I have even been told that the apparent reason for the error messages in May 2022 (before the warranty expired) was through not driving the car enough, even though over three years I have done more than eighteen-thousand miles in it.
The reason now, for those same error messages is two faulty batteries, which according to the dealership were not faulty in May (?!).

Am I being scammed by Volvo? Is it unrealistic of me to expect the batteries to last longer than three years?
Not being scammed, but does seem they maybe trying it on to get you to pay for / towards the batteries.

I’d personally keep to the facts, this went faulty in x month, it was in to you in May - therefore under warranty period and it’s because their equipment was down that the fault wasn’t picked up / diagnosed then (in May) which would have then been replacement batteries under warranty…
eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

MY 2020 faulty support battery is a known issue to Volvo and the workshop should have identified this problem at your first visit when you were still under warranty. If Slough insist on charging you for battery replacement then escalate your complaint to Volvo in Sweden.
AEleven

Post by AEleven »

Are you being unrealistic? I don't think so. My previous car was a Range Rover Evoque which displayed battery warnings just after the warranty expired. The Service Centre recommended a new battery and contacted Land Rover who refused to pay. Not happy with this I wrote to Land Rover myself asking them whether it was unreasonable to expect a battery to last more than three years. After a bit of 'toing and froing', in an 'off the record' phone call they finally accepted my argument and paid for the battery. Stick at it!!
Volvo XC40 B5P R Design Pro, Glacier Silver, Leather, Climate, Pano Roof. (Ordered 21/10/22, Delivered 21/12/22).
WelshRobin

Post by WelshRobin »

My previous V40 had exactly the same support (start/stop) battery and I had no trouble at all with it although my mileage pattern was much the same as it is now. The XC40 takes an inordinate time for the support battery to recharge after only limited use for a few days..