Off Road Drive Mode

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
Ford

Post by Ford »

Search as I might, I just can't find out what settings you get in Off Road Drive Mode. In a 2022 FWD T5 Recharge with 7sp Twin Clutch gearbox, there doesn't seem to be too many options that it can use. Does anyone know what the car is selecting for you in this mode and would it help in snow as about 1" above the tarmac is about as far off road as I'm likely to go.

Thanks guys
XC40 T5 Recharge, Onyx Black, Blond, Polestar, Climate, Drivers Assist, Versatility Pack, 360o Camera, Privacy Glass, DC-3 Dash Cam, Wireless Charge, Android Auto.
Ordered 21st Oct.2021
Delivered 25th March 2022

blastpipe

Post by blastpipe »

From the manual:

OFF ROAD
• Maximise the car's traction when driving in
difficult terrain and on poor roads.
The steering is light, the all-wheel drive operation
and low speed function with hill descent control
(Hill Descent Control) are activated. Start/Stop
function is deactivated.
The drive mode can only be activated at low
speeds and the speedometer shows the range
for speed limitation. If this speed is exceeded, Off
road mode is suspended and another drive mode
is activated.
In the Off road mode the driver display has a
compass between the speedometer and tachometer.
NOTE
The driving mode is not designed to be used
on public roads.

So you do get HDC...but off road mode will deselect at a certain speed.

For snow/ice driving I'd suggest using eco mode..or a custom mode that has eco settings but still retaining some air con to keep the glass clear. The eco mode softens the accelerator mode so means you are less likely to spin the wheels.
T4 Auto AWD R Design March 2019
Ford

Post by Ford »

Thanks for the update and advice. Since I have only front wheel drive I will use the eco settings you suggest and hope that the electric motor is not delivering too much torque to break traction, or I might just stay in bed!
XC40 T5 Recharge, Onyx Black, Blond, Polestar, Climate, Drivers Assist, Versatility Pack, 360o Camera, Privacy Glass, DC-3 Dash Cam, Wireless Charge, Android Auto.
Ordered 21st Oct.2021
Delivered 25th March 2022
anathyna62

Post by anathyna62 »

An adapted low speed mode that increases the car's traction when driving in difficult terrain, on steep downhill gradients, and on a poor surface. The driver controls the speed using the accelerator pedal. You can try to go for the Best Off Road Driving Trails in South Carolina and experience a very new adventure.