Panic - tailgate wouldn't close.

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
ChrisLF

Post by ChrisLF » Wed May 11, 2022 10:34 pm

Have the powered tailgate and earlier tonight it wouldn't close. Bit of a double panic as going away for a few days tomorrow, nevermind having it open overnight and parked outside.

It would go about half way down and then go back up again. Tried resetting it but to no avail. Read in the handbook that it could be manually closed but when trying it I met a lot of resistance and didn't want to force it. After one or two tries it stopped at the same place and then beeped which would normally indicate that the safety pinch had activated.

Looking at the struts one of them had faint signs of rust where it slides inside. I've noticed that when washing it and then opening the tailgate that quite a lot of water runs down the strut. It shouldn't be a problem as the opening in the strut is at the bottom when the tailgate is closed so I'm assuming it's getting in at the top?

Anyway, after squirting some silicone spray inside the strut and wiping it over the part that slides inside and then working the tailgate up and down I managed to close it, phew!!

So it looks like at least one new strut. Fortunately it's still a couple of months within warranty.
Practical car - Volvo XC40 T4 FWD R-Design in Bursting Blue. Winter & Convenience Packs, Electric Drivers Seat, Front Park Assist, Rear Camera and Tow Bar.

Fun car - Audi TT Roadster manual in Samoa Orange.

PlymDave

Post by PlymDave » Thu May 12, 2022 7:16 am

Yes, it sounds like one of the struts is providing enough resistance to initiate the safety stop. Isn't silicone spray lube good stuff though, I swear by it.

ChrisLF

Post by ChrisLF » Tue May 17, 2022 8:54 pm

Had a nice couple of days in Cambridge even though we had to load the luggage via the back doors. Had another look at the nearside strut and there is an obvious bulge which is causing the resistance and hence the tailgate to reclose. The water ingress seems to have caused rusting inside the strut and expansion of whatever is inside.

Trip to dealer today, having rung them yesterday, and new struts will be fitted next week.

Car will be shortly out of warranty and we will be buying it outright next year so a little concerned about it happening again. As said, after washing and I guess after rain, when opening the tailgate, quite a lot of water can be seen on the strut and as the tailgate opens further and the strut turns upside down, the water can then run inside.

Shouldn't have to do this, but what I'm going to do when opening the tailgate after washing or rain, is to stop it when partway open and then dry off the struts before fully opening. Hopefully this will prevent premature failure again.
Practical car - Volvo XC40 T4 FWD R-Design in Bursting Blue. Winter & Convenience Packs, Electric Drivers Seat, Front Park Assist, Rear Camera and Tow Bar.

Fun car - Audi TT Roadster manual in Samoa Orange.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post