Sensus Map 1380 now available...

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
Mikeg1

Post by Mikeg1 »

Seems so. Best start on that 4 GB french update now then 🤦🏻‍♂️
Mike. West Yorks.

MY22 B4P R Design 8 sp auto, Thunder Grey with Climate, Park Assist, Android Auto, Car Protection & mudflaps, Service Plan.

Ordered 02/11/21, collected 17/11/21

Mikeg1

Post by Mikeg1 »

NW Europe/UK update to 1386:

Well, this is a bl**dy nuisance. When I copied *all* the files to a formatted USB pen drive, Sensus said it was installing the update. The blue wheel at top right spun, and continues to do so. We've had the car out a dozen times since.

Then today this came up.

I'm going to try another USB drive that I know works fine in the car. I'm going to re-download the update to my laptop, and unpack/unzip it to the USB drive.

To be clear, do I save *only* the unzipped file to the USB drive (on the previous occasion that wasn't "seen" in the car) or all three files - the downloaded .zip, the unzipped file, and the .DBINFO file - which were seen in the car, and started the update.

Well until today, anyway.

Any other observations?

PXL_20220703_114536329.jpg

Mike. West Yorks.

MY22 B4P R Design 8 sp auto, Thunder Grey with Climate, Park Assist, Android Auto, Car Protection & mudflaps, Service Plan.

Mikeg1

Post by Mikeg1 »

BTW, I'm using the ordinary front USB socket - not the smartphone white framed socket. The one my music plays from.
Mike. West Yorks.

Andy40

Post by Andy40 »

From Volvos web site:

Select the type of maps to be updated.
Click on the region to be updated.
A map image with information on the latest map data for the region is shown.

Verify that the map version is newer than the one in the car.
Depending on which system you have, select the download link for either Windows or Mac.
Select "Run" to install the download program.
Click on "New download" to download the map to a USB memory stick or the computer's hard disk.
You can verify that the download/copying to the USB memory stick has worked correctly before you install the map in the car by repeating steps 1-2 and then pressing on "Check download" in the download program.

Hope this helps 👍🏻
Sherwood

Post by Sherwood »

As above, I don't worry about what to download/zip/copy - I let the download manager do that for me by downloading directly to the USB stick.

So:

1. Download the file from the map update page to your PC. The file is the download manager.

2. Install a USB stick on the same PC to receive the update.

3. Run the downloaded (download manager) file.

4. Select USB as the destination, and choose the USB you've inserted. (this simply creates an update USB stick directly without any manipulation)

5. Let it run until it finishes downloading

6. Safely eject the USB, and Bob's your Auntie's husband - the stick should enable the update once in the car.

The stick contents should have been created thus (and System Volume Information is a hidden system file which may not show depending on PC settings - it's not an issue if you can't see it. The Sensus unit does the unzipping/decompression itself).:

Map1386.JPG

MY22 B4 Inscription Pro AWD (8-Speed)
Mikeg1

Post by Mikeg1 »

After all the issues trying to get my music working as i want, Volvo strike again with map updates too big for OTA.

I'm not a total computer dummy. After I retired I worked on digitization for a downloadable audiobook company, on versions of Windows up to 10, downloads, uploads, servers, database, CS.

I'm trying this on a Windows 10 machine. From https://www.volvocars.com/uk/support/do ... est-europe I d/l the 2395KB file Sensus_Update_SPA_North_West_Europe.exe. It's not a .zip file. I double click on the .exe file to run it and I get this screen.

If i click Check Download it asks which USB drive I want to check. I haven't even copied the file to USB at that point.

If i do, and ask it to check the d/l on the USB file, I get this.

I'm about ready to sack it and just use waze of Google maps.

PXL_20220703_155206396.MP.jpg

PXL_20220703_154006932.MP_copy_766x496.jpg

Mike. West Yorks.

Sherwood

Post by Sherwood »

It looks like what you've done so far has left files on the stick which are "screwed" ('cos you've done your playing about with them).

If so, delete the contents, (or format it), and try again.

I would expect to see the second screen only, select "New Download" select the USB stick as the destination, and proceed as above.
Mikeg1

Post by Mikeg1 »

I've just noticed it's a different file from the one I downloaded before.

The first attempt *was* a zipped file EU_UR150_GB-IE-IS_1386.zip

Today's is Sensus_Update_SPA_North_West_Europe.exe
Mike. West Yorks.

Mikeg1

Post by Mikeg1 »

Sherwood wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 5:05 pm It looks like what you've done so far has left files on the stick which are "screwed" ('cos you've done your playing about with them).

If so, delete the contents, (or format it), and try again.

I would expect to see the second screen only, select "New Download" select the USB stick as the destination, and proceed as above.
Thanks Sherwood.

The USB is Quick Formatted to FAT32 each time before I put anything on it.

AFAIK I've been d/l'ing from the same Volvo map download site. yet the first time it produced a .zip file, and today an .exe file.

I'm about ready to give up and use what's in the car now plus Waze or GM.
Mike. West Yorks.

Sherwood

Post by Sherwood »

Mikeg1 wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 5:10 pm
Today's is Sensus_Update_SPA_North_West_Europe.exe
I think you're getting yourself confused ;)

That file (quite correctly downloaded from the website) is the "download manager" for the map.

Executing it should give you the map download nomination screen you've already highlighted above.

The map then downloads as a database and a couple of .zip files, and as I've highlighted above, the easiest option is to specify a (empty) USB stick as the download destination.