Free Vodaphone SIM

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
Mikeg1

Post by Mikeg1 »

Anyone know - if the card is inserted into the car, but NOT activated or used in any way, is it somehow digitally linked to that car - to the extent that it can't be activated in any other car, and Voda know that a second hand car has already had the "free" offer and will block a second free one?

Sent my inserted but unactivated, unused and unwanted card to another member - but it won't work ☹️
Mike. West Yorks.

MY22 B4P R Design 8 sp auto, Thunder Grey with Climate, Park Assist, Android Auto, Car Protection & mudflaps, Service Plan.

Ordered 02/11/21, collected 17/11/21

pwliv

Post by pwliv »

Not likely to be blocked, more that the whole process of getting the Voda to work is a pain, there are several threads here detailing the gory details, but suffice it to say that it doesn't feel like you have got something for nothing by the end of it!
Paul
Denim Blue T3 Momentum auto (2021), Pilot assist, Climate, Parking assist
Mikeg1

Post by Mikeg1 »

Cheers Paul. I'm actually asking on behalf of another member. I gave him my unused Voda SIM, but he can't get it working. We both seemed to remember someone saying it's linked to the first car it's put in to, and even if not activated it can't be used in another car 🤔
Mike. West Yorks.

MY22 B4P R Design 8 sp auto, Thunder Grey with Climate, Park Assist, Android Auto, Car Protection & mudflaps, Service Plan.

blastpipe

Post by blastpipe »

I believe it is linked to the first car it is connected to. I'm sure I've read that here before.
T4 Auto AWD R Design March 2019
Mikeg1

Post by Mikeg1 »

blastpipe wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 7:33 pm I believe it is linked to the first car it is connected to. I'm sure I've read that here before.
Thanks. But does "connected to" include simple insertion in the holder, with no further action taken 🤔
Mike. West Yorks.

Andy40

Post by Andy40 »

Hi guys, it was myself that Mike very kindly sent me his unused SIM, which was very generous and much appreciated 👍🏻

Spent a good 4 hours this afternoon battling with it, first major hurdle being neither my phone or laptop would allow Vodafone’s web page to open - security certificate issue and would not open..

Dug out old windows laptop and managed to get through to their web, but it would not allow me to progress further and activate the SIM…

Going to have to keep my eyes open for 3 SIM to come up on offer I think.

Will try speaking with dealership tomorrow, but not holding any hopes up…
Andy40

Post by Andy40 »

This is what I remember reading and found earlier…
DanishPastry wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 6:13 pm For the record, I'll summarise useful info found spread over a number of posts, and add some of my own from dealer-provided info.

Volvo say, "Available for the first owner of MY20 newly purchased vehicles only".

Dealer info says: "Once the SIM has been inserted into the vehicle, this SIM is then allocated to this vehicle digitally. Therefore you must only insert a SIM into one vehicle once. If subsequent SIMs are put in the same vehicle, they will be cancelled."
[I interpret this to mean that even if you have a pile of Volvo Vodafone SIMs, you can't activate a second one after a predecessor expires; doesn't stop you using a SIM from a different provider]
Mikeg1

Post by Mikeg1 »

Foiled again by Vodapain. Sorry Andy. Was worth the try.
Mike. West Yorks.

Sherwood

Post by Sherwood »

Andy40 wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 8:16 pm
I used a 3 sim briefly when I discovered my car didn't have the Vodafone one installed. It worked without any setup. (When the dealer subsequently added the Vodafone one, it was an absolute pig to set up, but eventually we got there).

If you're going to be a heavy data user, the 120GB/12 month EE sim currently available for £50 (Argos and elsewhere) might be appropriate. I have one in a MiFi, and EE coverage (at least in the UK) is pretty good.
MY22 B4 Inscription Pro AWD (8-Speed)
Andy40

Post by Andy40 »

Sherwood wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 9:20 pm
Andy40 wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 8:16 pm
I used a 3 sim briefly when I discovered my car didn't have the Vodafone one installed. It worked without any setup. (When the dealer subsequently added the Vodafone one, it was an absolute pig to set up, but eventually we got there).

If you're going to be a heavy data user, the 120GB/12 month EE sim currently available for £50 (Argos and elsewhere) might be appropriate. I have one in a MiFi, and EE coverage (at least in the UK) is pretty good.
Cheers mate - good to know about 👍🏻