USB Music.

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
goldy

Post by goldy »

Has anybody found a way to get the music play correctly from USB stick.
In my second XC40 and still can't get it to play correctly.
It's breaking each track into a separate album and then playing that track/album continuously.
Xc40 T3 auto inscription June 2020. Rubbish.
Xc40 B4 Inscription Pro November 2021.Fabulous.

Felindre

Post by Felindre »

It plays albums fine for me, how did you assemble the USB? I used media player to rip to the PC, just made sure each album had it's title correct, and under a folder with artists name. So, from the top level, folders with artists names, within those folders for each album, within those the tracks and album art. Assembled all this on the PC, just copied the lot to the USB.
B4 AWD Inscription , Fusion Red, Blond interior. Drivers Assist, Climate, Tinted rear windows and Towing pack.
Ordered 14 Dec 20, delivered 10 March 21
Deleted User 3359

Post by Deleted User 3359 »

If you ripped to the PC, what format did you choose? Media Player defaults to WMA (Windows Media Audio) rather than MP3/4... You can get a freeware converter... I did this so long ago I can't remember the details
goldy

Post by goldy »

Just for information my stick worked fine in all the cars I've had since 2011,Ford, Skoda, Renault and Toyota all new models. My two XC40's won't play as they should.
Stanno

Post by Stanno »

@goldy : What do you mean by "play correctly"? What are you expecting?
I use voice commands to play an album at a time. To get albums, particularly compilation ones, to play completely in the Volvo I had to edit the tags and ensure both track artist and album artist were fully populated. My last three cars before the XC40 all had the option to copy music to the car's hard drive so I didn't use a USB stick but I still had to get the tags right.
Stanno
Momentum B4 FWD, Denim Blue, Climate Pack, Versatility Pack, Origin Inlays
Ordered : October 2020
Collected : 01 March 2021
Mikeg1

Post by Mikeg1 »

The point is - for many of us, all this faffing around with tagging etc wasn't necessary in our previous screened cars - in my case, 3 Skodas. The display showed the exact same as the source appeared when plugged into Windows Explorer. The only difference was Skoda use SD card, Volvo USB drive. Albums/folders appeared as a carousel and could be flicked across or tapped. Tap an album, it played, then went on to the next one.

I've bought full fat tagging software, spent hours poncing around with tags and artwork, and for example, the 2 disc Best of Bowie still lists as 3 separate albums. And why do Volvo provide a specific input for a device Apple stopped making 5 yrs ago?

I've given up. My compilations I've got on playlists (the closest to what I had before, tho without artwork) and search by voice for rips from commercial CDs.

It's a crap system. It simply shouldn't need this level of user input and tech knowledge.
Mike. West Yorks.

MY22 B4P R Design 8 sp auto, Thunder Grey with Climate, Park Assist, Android Auto, Car Protection & mudflaps, Service Plan.

Ordered 02/11/21, collected 17/11/21
goldy

Post by goldy »

Yes I've sort of given up and put myself on Spotify over the weekend but just thought I'd gi e it one last chance for someone to ping back with a simple fix. Needless to say my dealer (Pinocchio nose) said they've never come across this problem before.
Andy40

Post by Andy40 »

I’m using Apple, so maybe different, but if I save the album from iMac to usb it works fine - but I’ve found I need to save in a specific way.
I open the album up, then highlight all the songs individually and transfer these across. So the usb stick just shows all the songs, but no albums, when played in car, albums etc all showing properly.

Only issue I’ve got now (and I’m presuming this is following an Apple software update) is it’s now not transferring the album art work, which it did previously…
Mikeg1

Post by Mikeg1 »

goldy wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 11:01 am Yes I've sort of given up and put myself on Spotify over the weekend but just thought I'd gi e it one last chance for someone to ping back with a simple fix. Needless to say my dealer (Pinocchio nose) said they've never come across this problem before.
There is no simple fix Goldy, at least, not one which doesn't require purchasing software and pratting with tagging, artwork, and testing.

The free Windows Media Player *used* to work well with CDs. But WMP (at least, mine) no longer tags on rips. It just lists Track 01, 02 etc. MS obviously think streaming now rules. Happy to tell you what I did but it'll take a bit of money and a lot of time.

Try Voice via the steering wheel button on the right. I'll ask it to play, say Kings of Leon. I've only 1 KoL album. It lists it on the driver screen as "1", I choose 1, it plays it. For the Bowie I mentioned earlier, it lists 3 entries, and I say the number in the list I know has most tracks.

Try Voice.
Mike. West Yorks.

MY22 B4P R Design 8 sp auto, Thunder Grey with Climate, Park Assist, Android Auto, Car Protection & mudflaps, Service Plan.

Ordered 02/11/21, collected 17/11/21
goldy

Post by goldy »

Cheers Mike.