7 Speed DCT Vs 8 Speed TC Gearbox

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
JFDIT

Post by JFDIT »

@Oldie, your argument is senseless. DCT's are more efficient than Slush Boxes. So imagine what a super efficient driver such as yourself would have achieved with one.
XC40 MY24 B4 Ultimate Dark, Black Leather, Crystal White, 20" Rims
Lincolnshire England.

Deleted User 3629

Post by Deleted User 3629 »

@JFDIT - driven a Q3 2.0-TFSI DSG for years prior and it was far less efficient than a B4 TC XC40 :o - in Lab conditions the DCT maybe more efficient, but that efficiency is far too narrow to be of any significance driven in real world conditions, as there are too many variables - and feel should anyone apply any real sense to that argument would surely agree ;)
JFDIT

Post by JFDIT »

@Oldie, as we previously established, you have no experience of the XC40 DCT vs TC.
Thanks to everyone that has replying with interesting insights as to what I may expect when I get one.
XC40 MY24 B4 Ultimate Dark, Black Leather, Crystal White, 20" Rims
Lincolnshire England.
Deleted User 3629

@JFDIT - oh, sorry for the differing points of view - its because you are having a DCT you want to read positive views - understand and I would be the same - I am sure it will be fine and you will reap the benefit of the extra available MPG - might take a many years to buy a drink with it, but a saving is a saving, oh and watch out for speed traps with that lower 0.60 performance :lol:
Richard_Hants2

Post by Richard_Hants2 »

Personally I couldnt say whether gearbox type A is better than gearbox type B in a certain model of car unless I had driven both of them.

Car manufacturers have been set EU fleet-wide CO2 emission performance standards for new passenger cars and vans and these include financial penalties for excess emissions.

The makes the relatively small efficiency inprovements made by introducing such things as mild hybrid powerplants and DCT gearboxes to existing models really important when measured per car sold.

From my perspective the fact that Volvo waited until they had introduced hybrid powerplants on the XC40 before changing to a DCT gearbox is a good thing as the battery assistance removes the hesitation which was apparent in my previous 3 VW cars all of which were fitted with DCT gearboxes.
MY22 B4P R Design 7 sp DCT, Thunder Grey with Climate, Park Assist, 360 Camera, Wireless Charging and Spare Wheel.
Deleted User 3629

Volvo's DCT is an oil-filled double clutch system - the 7-speed DSG of VW is a dry-clutch, and dry-clutch systems have had their history of problems, mainly due to overheating, and being a dry-clutch may have also contributed to the sizable hesitation?
Felindre

Post by Felindre »

Oldie wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 1:52 pm Volvo's DCT is an oil-filled double clutch system - the 7-speed DSG of VW is a dry-clutch, and dry-clutch systems have had their history of problems, mainly due to overheating, and being a dry-clutch may have also contributed to the sizable hesitation?
Don't generalise, only some if the smaller boxes are dry, DQ200 and DQ250. My tiguan had the DQ500 high torque box and this was wet clutch.
B4 AWD Inscription , Fusion Red, Blond interior. Drivers Assist, Climate, Tinted rear windows and Towing pack.
Ordered 14 Dec 20, delivered 10 March 21
Deleted User 3629

Wow, its a forum not a tech site Felindre :o - generalising is what we "generally" do - thought the 7-speed DSG was a dry-clutch and the 6-speed DSG was a wet clutch - how very dare I generalise :roll:
Deleted User 3629

And for those who require we must not generalise :roll: . The 7-speed version of the DSG gearbox referred to under the post as a dry clutch system has a few different names including, 0AM, 0CW, 7DSG and DQ200, it was brought in to supercede the 6-speed “DQ250” DSG unit. The DQ500 transmission is also a 7-speed but not to be confused with the dry-clutch as it is a wet-clutch that is mounted transverse for larger and high torque output vehicles rated up to 600 Nm :P
Felindre

Post by Felindre »

That's better! It's just you said ALL the VW's were dry clutch, and it ain't necessarily so. P.S. They're all transverse. As the one in out T-Cross.
B4 AWD Inscription , Fusion Red, Blond interior. Drivers Assist, Climate, Tinted rear windows and Towing pack.
Ordered 14 Dec 20, delivered 10 March 21