7 Speed DCT Vs 8 Speed TC Gearbox

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
Deleted User 3629

Post by Deleted User 3629 »

In the interest of accuracy Felindre :roll: - did I say "ALL" the VW's were dry clutch? Think I said "the 7-speed DSG of VW is a dry-clutch", which it is, just happens that they also did an older version of the 6-speed wet-clutch but with 7-speeds for high-torque output - and, in the interests of you requiring accurate facts, think your reply maybe inaccurate - in that, the DQ250 is a 6-speed wet-clutch and not a dry-clutch as intimated in your reply ;)

Felindre

Post by Felindre »

Oldie wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 7:22 am In the interest of accuracy Felindre :roll: - did I say "ALL" the VW's were dry clutch? Think I said "the 7-speed DSG of VW is a dry-clutch", which it is, just happens that they also did an older version of the 6-speed wet-clutch but with 7-speeds for high-torque output - and, in the interests of you requiring accurate facts, think your reply maybe inaccurate - in that, the DQ250 is a 6-speed wet-clutch and not a dry-clutch as intimated in your reply ;)
Exactly, but my DQ500 was a 7 speed and yet a wet clutch.
My T-Cross states it has the DQ250 box, it's 7 speed, and as far as I know a dry clutch. I'll have to see where I got the box designation from, but definitely 7 speed in there.

My bad, the spec shows it's a DQ200

The New T-Cross R-Line 1.0 TSI 115PS 7-speed DSG 5 Door
Your configuration is equipped with the following items as standard
Installation differentiation for dual-clutch transv. transmission DQ200 -- vehicle components --
B4 AWD Inscription , Fusion Red, Blond interior. Drivers Assist, Climate, Tinted rear windows and Towing pack.
Ordered 14 Dec 20, delivered 10 March 21
Deleted User 3629

As stated, believe the 500 to be a variant of the 6-speed wet-clutch. Do think that the number following the DQ is related in someway to the higher (or lower) torque rating, but will stand corrected - because your T-cross has such a small engine, its why you would only have the lower torque box, which is a dry-clutch and the one which seems to have had a bad history according to various topics on the Webb? ;)
Felindre

Post by Felindre »

The issues were in the early days of DSG. Mostly now very reliable. Yes you do get an occasional issue, but then that's the same with every manufacturer. The box in the Cross is excellent.
B4 AWD Inscription , Fusion Red, Blond interior. Drivers Assist, Climate, Tinted rear windows and Towing pack.
Ordered 14 Dec 20, delivered 10 March 21
Deleted User 3629

Yep agreed, the DQ200 should be fine in a 1.0 TFSI, its a very small engine so not much is going on to upset the box :P
Volle80

Post by Volle80 »

I have experiences (V60) from both transmissions (8-speed Aisin and 7 speed DCT). For some reason this 8-speed Aisin is smoothier in diesel than in petrol engine. I have also had a chance to test these both transmissions in V60 B4 petrol and I can say that 7-speed DCT is extremely good and smoothier for that engine. We don't know yet how long it will last but I hope for the best :) . The only issue I have seen was already mentioned in this thread -> "For the first couple of changes from 1st to 2nd gear there is a slight hesitation after a cold start".
Deleted User 3629

A few have stated their is a slight hesitation with the DCT when cold, in my view this will be something to do with the software programming when cold rather than the gearbox itself?
Deleted User 3359

Post by Deleted User 3359 »

Software is a big part of these boxes. My 8 speed was "lurchy" when taking off spiritedly, but when serviced at the beginning of March was transformed by an update