Start/stop engine feature not working for over 1 year

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
Davidthomas41

Post by Davidthomas41 »

Just had my 3 year old car serviced and mentioned lack of stop start and it was a software fault. They uploaded software and now all fine

Chris John

Post by Chris John »

Davidthomas41 wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 10:59 am Just had my 3 year old car serviced and mentioned lack of stop start and it was a software fault. They uploaded software and now all fine
The old it’s a software issue is quite frankly rubbish. They update the software at every service. Whilst they are doing that the support battery is also getting charged. Once it goes below 80% charge again it’ll stop working.
Volvo XC40 T5 R-Drive Pro. Thunder Grey with lots of extras
Davidthomas41

Post by Davidthomas41 »

Well sorry Chris …I do lots of long journeys so assume support battery was fully charged…..and stop start didn’t work pre service and worked post service and they said the fault was a software issue ….so was just trying to be helpful. But thanks for the ‘frankly rubbish’ insight ….always helpful and kind comments like yours must encourage others to contribute to the forum.
Chris John

Post by Chris John »

Davidthomas41 wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 5:54 pm Well sorry Chris …I do lots of long journeys so assume support battery was fully charged…..and stop start didn’t work pre service and worked post service and they said the fault was a software issue ….so was just trying to be helpful. But thanks for the ‘frankly rubbish’ insight ….always helpful and kind comments like yours must encourage others to contribute to the forum.
Funny how everyone has the same software but not everyone has the software fault. I look forward to you letting us know when it packs up again. You’ve been taken in
Volvo XC40 T5 R-Drive Pro. Thunder Grey with lots of extras
Deleted User 3359

Post by Deleted User 3359 »

Davidthomas41 wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 5:54 pm Well sorry Chris …I do lots of long journeys so assume support battery was fully charged…..and stop start didn’t work pre service and worked post service and they said the fault was a software issue ….so was just trying to be helpful. But thanks for the ‘frankly rubbish’ insight ….always helpful and kind comments like yours must encourage others to contribute to the forum.
Alternators do not take a battery to 100%, especially now they are smart and stop charging to improve fuel economy. To get to 100% you need a good quality external charger.
Trafford

Post by Trafford »

Trafford wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 2:49 pm Exactly the same problem for me, 3 year old car, mostly stranded due to Covid, and the Start Stop does not work anymore, along with the Park sensors. Should I tell the Volvo dealer here to directly change the support battery?

Bekster wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 3:45 pm the start/stop feature has not been working on my car for over 1 year. My car is nearly 3 years old. I blamed the problem on the restricted mileage, due to Covid. Last year summer I went on holiday and did 2000miles (Approx 3000km) in just over 2 weeks. The carengaged the start/stop a few times during the holiday, but stopped working since.

I asked the volvo garage to check this during the annual servicr, but volvo UK did not approve of the warranty repair. Has this happened to someone else?

is there a disclaimer in the warranty paperwork relating to allowing them to deny this warranty claim?

The garage offered to do an initial check for £98 (120Euro). Guess they come back to me recommending to buy a new battery!

They changed my support battery for free too, it was inside the warranty (the car is 2 years and 10 months old) and the battery has a 3 year warranty.
WelshRobin

Post by WelshRobin »

In a post on April 12, Trafford said that his stop/start and parking sensors had not been working for some time. Do the sensors rely on the auxiliary battery? I ask because the rear sensors let me down earlier today and I reversed into a very solid wall - gently and with absolutely minimal damage but I was surprised and annoyed.
Deleted User 3629

Post by Deleted User 3629 »

In my opinion nobody should be relying on a camera or sensors when reversing anyway, they are just assistance tools - it's the driver that should stay in full control of distance and awareness of what's behind not the camera or sensors - this time a wall next time a child?? you would then have difficulty in explaining it was not your fault it was the rear sensors fault :shock:
WelshRobin

Post by WelshRobin »

Of course I have to agree with you Oldie, don’t I? Nevertheless, I explained that I nudged the wall very gently because I have found the sensors useful in tucking in close to the object behind the car when I am moving at the slowest crawl. Otherwise, what are the parking sensors for ?
Deleted User 3629

Post by Deleted User 3629 »

Nope you don't have to agree at all, that's what's wonderful about living in a democracy and freedom to debate :roll: - for me, having driven for many years before the arrival of sensors to assist, you get to know instinctively how close objects are and, in my opinion, when you start to rely on "tools" to tell you rather than assist you, you diminish that instinctive behavior and stop seeing that very solid wall getting far to close in the rear mirror, and continue on just because the sensors are not telling you to stop :oops: Maybe there is a driving instructor on the forum who can enlighten us on what is taught today - are we taught to rely on sensors or learn the art of safe reversing ;)