Google Software

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
JFDIT

Post by JFDIT »

I was just wondering if anyone has seen a commitment from Volvo or Google or any car manufacturer saying how long they will maintain their software with regular updates and patches?
XC40 MY24 B4 Ultimate Dark, Black Leather, Crystal White, 20" Rims
Lincolnshire England.

Mikeg1

Post by Mikeg1 »

No. But if I had one, I'd expect Google to support it for the lifetime of the car. How could it be otherwise for such a core element?
Mike. West Yorks.

MY22 B4P R Design 8 sp auto, Thunder Grey with Climate, Park Assist, Android Auto, Car Protection & mudflaps, Service Plan.

Ordered 02/11/21, collected 17/11/21
JFDIT

Post by JFDIT »

Google currently only support Mobile Phone software for 3 versions which equates to around 3 years. Problem is over time software continues to develop requiring more advanced hardware. Guess it depends on what one considers the cars Lifetime to be. 10 years?
Lincolnshire England.
Mikeg1

Post by Mikeg1 »

Indeed. I've used Google branded phones and tablets for years, Nexus and now Pixel. And their speakers in every room.

But I'd hope to hell what they do for a phone - which will still work after 5 yrs - isn't an indicator of what they'll do for a crucial feature in a car.

But I don't know. I'm just surmising. Mine has Sensus, and I'll be handing it back in no later than 4 yrs. So 🤷🏻‍♂️
Mike. West Yorks.

MY22 B4P R Design 8 sp auto, Thunder Grey with Climate, Park Assist, Android Auto, Car Protection & mudflaps, Service Plan.

Ordered 02/11/21, collected 17/11/21
m@rk

Post by m@rk »

Remember with cars things are a little different

Once you have bought your car, that's it. You don't (currently) need to add extra features further down the line.

So if the heater (and the software that controls it) works today and there are no more software releases ever, the heater should still work in 10 years time. This is no different to any other firmware on any other car made in the last 15 years.

Of course with using Google Automotive and the like, there is the option to add extra features through software later on. It is the adding of these features that may stop further down the line however there is nothing to suggest core functionality will need ANY updates moving forward

BUT

Security does seem to be an afterthought right now (on many things) and with the car connected to the internet this might become a bigger problem in the future but again, having said that, the modem in your XC40 is only 4G so in 10 years time, the chances of it still working at all are questionable
XC40 T5 Recharge Inscription Pro - Denim & Blonde
JFDIT

Post by JFDIT »

I'd still like a written software support agreement. Say 10 years.

If an old car gets a new Software release can we be sure that they tested the Heater Control function for an aged car? Will new Road Signs be catered for in Old Software/Hardware? Clearly there is no example of MS or Google or Apple breaking things that currently work through lack of testing but I guess it could happen.

This is very new territory for car manufacturers and we are seeing them throw in the towel by partnering with Google and the like. That could be good news but what protection do we have if there are issues?
Lincolnshire England.
Deleted User 3629

Post by Deleted User 3629 »

What was wrong with magneto ignition with a nice set of point and an "A" track music system - you only had to worry about 2 or three things and one of those was - have I got fuel in the tank :P
JFDIT

Post by JFDIT »

If you enjoy driving not much!
Lincolnshire England.
Deleted User 3629

Post by Deleted User 3629 »

What fun like - why is my screen blank - why won't that load - why can't I get the app to work - can't play my albums? - why did it not pre-start and be warm ready - have I got the latest software, can't seem to load the latest software - why must I pay £200+ to have someone change the spark plugs - why £500 for an Oil and Filter change, how much to repair that ding? - why did the car suddenly do that etc etc etc. Had the best care-free driving fun in an original copper s, easy to maintain, absolute fun to drive and mod - oil, filter and spark-plug change in an hour on the drive - dings all part of the furniture and never failed to start, and when they did go wrong, it was often a most simple fix - today, oh you have a problem with your car, certainly sir - your car is now booked in a month on Tuesday - thank you for your custom :lol:
goldy

Post by goldy »

Oldie wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 1:06 pm What fun like - why is my screen blank - why won't that load - why can't I get the app to work - can't play my albums? - why did it not pre-start and be warm ready - have I got the latest software, can't seem to load the latest software - why must I pay £200+ to have someone change the spark plugs - why £500 for an Oil and Filter change, how much to repair that ding? - why did the car suddenly do that etc etc etc. Had the best care-free driving fun in an original copper s, easy to maintain, absolute fun to drive and mod - oil, filter and spark-plug change in an hour on the drive - dings all part of the furniture and never failed to start, and when they did go wrong, it was often a most simple fix - today, oh you have a problem with your car, certainly sir - your car is now booked in a month on Tuesday - thank you for your custom :lol:
I remember those days. A few bits of wire, set of points and a couple of sparkplugs was usually enough to get you out of trouble and from one end of the country to the other.
Don't need anyone chiming in with "new cars don't break done as much"
If a new car breaks down your looking at a second mortgage to repair it and if they were that good the AA, RAC and greenflag etc would be out of business.
I know I'm a grumpy old sod but I've earned that right.
Xc40 T3 auto inscription June 2020. Rubbish.
Xc40 B4 Inscription Pro November 2021.Fabulous.