Google Software

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
JFDIT

Post by JFDIT »

Far too much tech on modern cars. Fact. But without it Governments will not be able to control us and Big Tech won't have the data we provide for profit and control.

Appears we lived through the golden age of motoring with cars and motorcycles. But like everything it's come to an end.
XC40 MY24 B4 Ultimate Dark, Black Leather, Crystal White, 20" Rims
Lincolnshire England.

Bern1

Post by Bern1 »

I was told I could pick up my new XC40 B4 P Automatic, Ultimate Edition on Tuesday 29th. Nov. only to get a call the Friday before to tell me there is a problem with the software and at the moment, they do not know how long it will take to rectify as a solution will have to come from Sweeden! Had a call every day since to say still no fix available and do not know when any solution will be forthcoming. Having waited 10 months for delivery and seen the car with registration plates I chose at the showroom I know it does exist and am not being told porkies about delivery time. I find it hard to believe Volvo are so slack in not stress testing new software before release. Lost faith in Volvo now. Shame as I have had two Volvo's in the last 10 years and now regret decision to buy a third. I will not drive away with confidence, once I take delivery, as I had previously. Get your act together Volvo or loose loyal customers.
eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

It seems you’re one of those early adopters of brand new technology (Android Automotive Operating System) that get burned with inherent bugs and inconsistencies found in first versions of new software solutions. Google decided one day to develop and sell software for car operating systems and Volvo (Polestar) was their first client. Unfortunately it takes many years and millions of cars on the road to fine tune such complex software, Tesla has been squashing bugs for a decade in their own operating system and still has serious issues: https://www.channelnewsasia.com/busines ... lip_070214
Krystof

Post by Krystof »

It's unlikely to be connected with the Android Automotive OS. I have that (on a B4) and have had no problems with it at all. It's more likely to be something to do with the plugin hybrid system. In any case, I'd tend to trust a system developed by a tech company like Google over anything a car manufacturer is capable of botching together.
Felindre

Post by Felindre »

Bern1 *IS* talking about a B4p...
B4 AWD Inscription , Fusion Red, Blond interior. Drivers Assist, Climate, Tinted rear windows and Towing pack.
Ordered 14 Dec 20, delivered 10 March 21
Krystof

Post by Krystof »

Felindre wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 3:20 pm Bern1 *IS* talking about a B4p...
Yes, indeed. Doesn't the P mean plug-in hybrid? If not, my bad - the naming system is not the clearest, and I tend to get lost in it. Mine isn't a plug-in, and it has never had any software problems with its Google system. That's why I suggested Bern1 probably doesn't have a Google-related issue, but a Volvo-related one. It must be very frustrating Bern1, I hope they get it sorted for you soon. I think I would be fuming.
Bern1

Post by Bern1 »

Hi Felindre and Krystof. The B4 P is petrol 2ltr 197bhp engine I have requested a Polestar upgrade and that is yet to be carried out along with the tracking device. I did read on a USA blog that an over air update to the software has "Bricked" a number of Volvos' but not all. One was unable to even unlock the car with the fob and had to use the emergency metal key. I await with interest the result. I would have thought the company would at lease offer me a courtesy car while the problem is sorted.
Felindre

Post by Felindre »

Bern1 wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 4:30 pm Hi Felindre and Krystof. The B4 P is petrol 2ltr 197bhp engine I have requested a Polestar upgrade and that is yet to be carried out along with the tracking device. I did read on a USA blog that an over air update to the software has "Bricked" a number of Volvos' but not all. One was unable to even unlock the car with the fob and had to use the emergency metal key. I await with interest the result. I would have thought the company would at lease offer me a courtesy car while the problem is sorted.
What a surprise...

Check out my signature, it's what I have been driving for a year and a half.

Polestar upgrade not available for the B4p engine.
B4 AWD Inscription , Fusion Red, Blond interior. Drivers Assist, Climate, Tinted rear windows and Towing pack.
Ordered 14 Dec 20, delivered 10 March 21
Bern1

Post by Bern1 »

Thanks for the info on Polestar and B4p engine. I will take that up with the garage as the have included that as an upgrade when and if the car becomes road worthy. Worst decision I have had that February day walking into the Volvo showroom. Reminds me of the 90's and Windows becoming available and people saying "It's a good job Microsoft don't make cars"
JFDIT

Post by JFDIT »

Frankly Google AAOS can't be worse than Sensus and Here Maps offering.
XC40 MY24 B4 Ultimate Dark, Black Leather, Crystal White, 20" Rims
Lincolnshire England.