USB as a source

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
Bocca70

Post by Bocca70 »

Exact same on my Karoq. Did you have an Ateca?

I'd expect the Seat/Skoda offering to be similar, both being VAG. My Skoda screen showed exactly what my PC showed. The Volvo doesn't. I even tried a USB to SD card adapter. No difference.

I'm fine with streaming but not when I'm just nipping round to the Co-op for more crumpets.

I'd copy off a test sample from your card to a pen drive you've got lying around and see how it looks. I'd be interested tho in whether iPod handles it better - provided it could be simply left plugged in.
[/quote]

Yes to the Ateca. Still got it until my Volvo arrives. Same with previous Audis.
R-Design T3 manual MY22 Onyx black
Climate and park assist packs
Spare wheel and Smartphone integration
Volvo sunglasses holder x2
Spare wheel cover
Garmin Dash Cam Mini 2 hardwired

Delivered 12th March 2022

Mikeg1

Post by Mikeg1 »

goldy wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:28 am I have the same problem. I've had my USB stick since 2011and it's worked perfectly in every car I've had except the last two XC40's, they think each track is an album.
Dealer looking into it. I won't hold my breath.
Re-tagged a sample dozen albums yesterday. Some it sees as an album thumbnail, with tracks behind - what I'd expect- some it sees as just a list of tracks. Compilations it only ever sees as just a list of tracks. It may well be my tag editing skills just aren't up to it. My point is that VAG in 2018 didn't require you to have any. It just showed you what you'd put on the SD card.
Mike. West Yorks.

MY22 B4P R Design 8 sp auto, Thunder Grey with Climate, Park Assist, Android Auto, Car Protection & mudflaps, Service Plan.

Ordered 02/11/21, collected 17/11/21
Mikeg1

Post by Mikeg1 »

aj05 wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:08 am Hi I had this problem when I purchased my xc40 a couple of years ago I eventually bit the bullet and trawled through ebay and bought a cheap Ipod end of problems Think I paid about £20,00 saved a lot of problems can now play by artist albums playlists etc name of track artist and album show in display. I treat the i pod as a replacement for the Volvo jukebox I had fitted in my v70 just not hard wired
Good to know. So you use it via the car central display? Can it show a compilation folder the same way as a commercial album? Can you leave it plugged in to the ("ordinary") USB socket?
Mike. West Yorks.

MY22 B4P R Design 8 sp auto, Thunder Grey with Climate, Park Assist, Android Auto, Car Protection & mudflaps, Service Plan.

Mikeg1

Post by Mikeg1 »

Felindre wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:09 am What issues are you getting, and do you have the sensus or android head? I've got a 21 B4 with sensus head. I've ripped all my CD's FLAC format using windows media player, assembled them in folders by artists name, and on a USB stick. This works fine, plays them all, if I switch away to radio, when I return it's remembered the last track I'm playing.

Maybe it's media monkey? I'm just using good old fashioned windows media player, still there in windows 10.
Sensus. Issues: doesn't see compilation folders as albums, treats commercial CD's ripped/tagged inconsistently (thumbnail with tracks behind, or just tracks).

As it happens I never had any problems with CD's ripped in WMP. It was my go-to. But it no longer tags and gets artwork.

Good tip on folders by artists name. I'll try that👍🏻
Mike. West Yorks.

Mikeg1

Post by Mikeg1 »

JFDIT wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:46 am My USB music is fine. Have several hundred albums ripped to USB in FLAC and the Sensus head works perfectly in every respect every time as Felindre describes.
I have a mix of lossy/lossless file formats from over the years. The minimum I'll rip to MP3 is 320. But I can't see how the file format affects what I'm seeing.

Simply, in my old car the display showed the same top level list I'd created on my PC. The XC40 doesn't.

But I'm going to try naming folders by artist, using "Various Country", "Various Soul" or something for compliations.
Mike. West Yorks.

JFDIT

Post by JFDIT »

I never manually change the file folder names I always let the software creating the USB music library do that. It will normally connect to the internet to retrieve the Meta Data associated with the Album's/Artists etc. That's how you get the sleeve graphics associated with the Albums and songs; that data is not held on the CD.
Have you got Grace Notes turned in the Sensus Head Unit? That should provide missing Meta Data for the plugged in USB Music.

If Grace Notes doesn't sort it, read the USB music back into some PC Media Player, once it's all there and playable and you can see the album covers, export it all to a nice freshly Formatted FAT32 USB stick and you'll probably be good to go.
XC40 MY24 B4 Ultimate Dark, Black Leather, Crystal White, 20" Rims
Lincolnshire England.
Mikeg1

Post by Mikeg1 »

Indeed. Exactly what WMP used to do, impeccably, and which various programs I've tried since do to a variable extent. Before I tried a new sample list yesterday I formatted the thumbdrive in FAT32.

I thought the idea of naming folders/albums by name was a good one, and I'll try that.

Never had any of this futzing around before. My cars have just displayed the same list I've created on the PC then copied to a card (now USB).

I'll give it another go, and think more about a s/h iPod or multi-format PMP. I'd love to know if anyone uses one and leaves it plugged in. Unless the car is running, how different can it be to leaving the USB or a cable plugged in 🤔
Mike. West Yorks.

JFDIT

Post by JFDIT »

Do you have Grace Notes enabled in the Car? That will then own the indexing of tracks, albums, artists, etc.
XC40 MY24 B4 Ultimate Dark, Black Leather, Crystal White, 20" Rims
Lincolnshire England.
Mikeg1

Post by Mikeg1 »

Yes.
Mike. West Yorks.

ropetko

Post by ropetko »

I don't get this. I've purchased a 2018 XC40 R-Design (with Sensus) a year ago and put my 32 GB USB stick in the central console. The one I used to play for many years in my old car. Yes, it doesn't show folders, but you can browse by albums, artists, playlists (which is a good alternative for your own compilations), etc. I can even say voice command "Play Sting" and it will start playing all his songs randomly. If you have Grace Notes enabled, the main console will show the album cover also.
On the other side, I do have a Spotify and a sim data card in my car. The moment I connected it to my Spotify account was the last moment I was listening to my USB (filled with 320 MP3s and FLACs), really. Now I use my USB collection on rare occasions.
And no, you can't spot the difference between FLAC and Highest Level Spotify (320 kBps), not in a car going 30 Mph and not to mention on the highways.
XC40 D4 AWD R-Design 140 kW 2018