USB as a source

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
ChrisS777

Post by ChrisS777 »

I tried different approaches and the only one that worked for me is to create playlists for each main folder on the root of the usb stick. Then i can play the folder as playlist.

Mikeg1

Post by Mikeg1 »

Agree on the lossless/lossy point. I've ripped albums in lossless formats *and* MP3 at 320 for comparison, and my (old) ears can't tell the difference in a moving car.

That said, I'm all for doing the best I can and for that reason switched from still-no-HD Spotify Premium to Amazon HD, which if you have Prime is Β£2 cheaper that Spotify *and* HD.

I can stream that all day long, but it's not a Volvo supported app so I'd need a cable connection and run it via Android Auto. On longer runs that's fine, but not for nipping to the Co-op. For quick journeys I just want to choose a R2/4 on the DAB source, or an album on the USB source. Coupla taps, no cables. I could Bluetooth, but again, it's not as convenient and just, well, not as easy as selecting a source always there via the central display.

Not sure if I've explained my issue clearly. Gracenote does a good job of fixing missing data. Track titling and artwork isn't my problem. My problem is how Sensus displays what in my old car was the exact same list of album/folders as I'd created in my PC, and would finish one and go onto the next - unless I told it otherwise.

No futzing around - it just worked, in a way that Sensus doesn't. I accept that Sensus is more sophisticated in its sorting and voice control etc.

I've given up. I know it won't do what I'm used to, and I see no point in connecting an iPod. If I'm going to do that I might as well connect my phone.

I'll try selecting artist by voice tho πŸ‘πŸ»
Mike. West Yorks.

MY22 B4P R Design 8 sp auto, Thunder Grey with Climate, Park Assist, Android Auto, Car Protection & mudflaps, Service Plan.

Ordered 02/11/21, collected 17/11/21
Mikeg1

Post by Mikeg1 »

ChrisS777 wrote: ↑Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:09 pm I tried different approaches and the only one that worked for me is to create playlists for each main folder on the root of the usb stick. Then i can play the folder as playlist.
@Ropetko made the same point about playlists. But I've no idea how to do what you've just described. Never needed to.

Thanks for the tip tho πŸ‘πŸ». Some homework required.
Mike. West Yorks.

MY22 B4P R Design 8 sp auto, Thunder Grey with Climate, Park Assist, Android Auto, Car Protection & mudflaps, Service Plan.

Mikeg1

Post by Mikeg1 »

ropetko wrote: ↑Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:52 pm ...I can even say voice command "Play Sting" and it will start playing all his songs randomly. If you have Grace Notes enabled, the main console will show the album cover also...
Just tried it on the school run with my grandson. Works brilliantly. Even switches to DAB R4 when I want. This might be the answer. Thank you πŸ‘πŸ»
Mike. West Yorks.

ropetko

Post by ropetko »

Mikeg1 wrote: ↑Wed Jan 19, 2022 4:12 pm
ropetko wrote: ↑Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:52 pm ...I can even say voice command "Play Sting" and it will start playing all his songs randomly. If you have Grace Notes enabled, the main console will show the album cover also...
Just tried it on the school run with my grandson. Works brilliantly. Even switches to DAB R4 when I want. This might be the answer. Thank you πŸ‘πŸ»
@Mikeg1 I'm glad I could help :)
Still, if you've ripped your MP3s with embedded data about performer and album, you should be able to browse through albums via Sensus interface. Or did I just mention the Spotify UX thinking that's Sensus USB interface?!?! πŸ˜‚

I have Sonos Five speaker at home, Spotify on my PC and iPhone but having the native app in my Volvo was the main reason to switch from Tidal or Deezer to Spotify. Just recently got new iPod Max headphones that might spot the difference between lossless and HQ 320 kbps sound (although they are not able to stream lossless, but that's another story). Still think that no person over 50 should spend any coin on anything more than 320kbps AAC, but the reality is that people over 50 are those who have the money and are willing to spend extra quids on "lossless cables", "lossless speakers" and all those features we are not able to hear unless we spend 1000 Ł on them. Then we claim we can hear the difference πŸ˜‚
For the record: I'm over 50 and a former musician who spent many hours in studios, as well as on stages. Love to test cool headphones.
XC40 D4 AWD R-Design 140 kW 2018
Mikeg1

Post by Mikeg1 »

Ha. That made me chuckle. Over 50? I wish. Over 70 in my case.

Like your over 50s I *am* in a position to consider kit in the award winning categories, but toward the budget end. As an example, I've just got a Sony 4K UHD player. A What HiFi award winner - but in the sub Β£200 category. Given my sight and hearing aren't what they were - I realise there's little point in spending silly £££'s. But I like to think I've done the best I can, relative to my sight and hearing. It comforts me. Sad, or what πŸ˜‚

In that theme, I got sick of waiting for Spotify's HD offering, so canc'd it, and switched to Amazon. A) cheaper, as I'm a Prime member), and b) HD. My Yamaha AV amp pre-dates streaming, but I can squirt higher res content into it via a Chromecast Audio connected optically. I'd tried Qobuz, Tidal etc, settled on Spotify - ubiquitous, as you say, but now I'll stick to Amazon HD, to which I can also upload my own stuff.

But it's not a Volvo app - so I'd need to either run it via Android Auto (phone connected) or BT it over. Neither is as simple as the SD card offering from VAG I've been used to in my last 2 cars. They were selectable as just another source direct from the car, and the default display showed the exact same album/folder listing I'd created on my laptop.

Sensus/USB doesn't do that. I can see it's more sophisticated, and Voice choosing (your tip) is way beyond what I'm used to. But the basic display to the left of a doddery old right hander just doesn't work as well for me. It doesn't list my compilation folders, and it doesn't display consistently commercial CDs ripped and tagged in exactly the same way.

So I was stuck - pondering what to do. Even thinking of going over to the Dark Side, with an iPod πŸ˜‰

But for now - pending a new energy burst and another go with checking tagging - I've got a way. Voice. Thank you.

Enjoy your new headphones. I'd guess your hearing might have taken a pounding over the years - or was studio work "easier on the ear" than on-stage?

Good to chat. And thanks again for the Voice tip. I haven't had the car long, and I've learned it's smarter than I am πŸ˜‚
Mike. West Yorks.

bleara

Post by bleara »

Following this theme, I have had my XC40 Ultimate Recharge 2024 for 2 weeks now and I cannot find a way of using my media library that was on an SD card (in my old Tiguan) in this car. I moved the data to a USB A memory stick but then needed a USB C to USB A converter to fit it in the car. I have just received that, plugged it in and the only thing I see when I drag down from the top of the screen is that 'there is a problem with the drive, tap to fix' Doing the 'tap to fix' just ejects the drive. I have tried using a different SD card in a different converter with the same effect.
I have managed to use an App on my phone to render to the car but then I have to duplicate the database on my wifes phone too and fiddling with phones to select tracks while driving... come on Volvo, VW have had a half decent system for 6 years why is the XC40 so backward. Why is there no SD card reader in the glovebox? Even if it were possible to read the flash stick in the USB C socket on the dashboard it's exposed to being knocked.
As a last effort I wondered if there's a 32GB limit on the drive, so tried that but instead of 'a problem with the drive' I get an 'explore' button that does nothing.
HELP anyone !!! ( I love the car just as a car but the media support sadly lets it down badly).
eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

In order to use media library from a USB stick you need to download AudioWagon app on your car’s infotainment system. More details here: viewtopic.php?t=3318
Volvobadger

Post by Volvobadger »

I gave up on audiowagon - it kind of worked but not reliably enough for me.
Bluetooth from an android phone works ok but navigating a large library isn't feasible when driving.
ChrisLF

Post by ChrisLF »

Can the Amazon app mentioned earlier be installed in the new AAOS? And how do you upload your own music to it?
2023 B4 Plus Dark FWD in Silver Dawn. Tinted Rear Windows. Spare Wheel & Tow Bar dealer fitted.

Gone - 2019 T4 R-Design FWD in Bursting Blue. Winter & Convenience Packs, Power Seat, Front Park Assist, Rear Camera, Spare Wheel & Tow Bar.