USB as a source

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
Mikeg1

Post by Mikeg1 »

I'm writing this uncertain whether I just want to vent, ask for help, or see if someone will put me out of my misery and belt me round the head with a cricket bat.

I know this has been raised before - but what *were* Volvo thinking? I'm happy to stream and bluetooth with the best of 'em but for knocking around I prefer my own tunes as a source, selectable from the head unit, without futzing around with phones and cables.

My last car was an 18 plate Karoq. It had the then standard VAG touchscreen with "local" media available via SD card. The card showed the exact same folder list as my PC, including home made compilations. Mostly had artwork and metadata, worked great. Album would play, then it would on on to the next - unless you stopped it, switched to another album. Just what you want.

And all available as a source, just like DAB or FM.

With a MY22 Volvo I'd expected no less. And what did I get? It can't handle compilations, it doesn't treat rips from commercial CD's consistently, it's a mess. I've just spent another afternoon with a test of a dozen rips-from-CD. All run through an editor (MediaMonkey).

No difference. No better. It's not tags. It just can't do what I want.

I'm about ready to give it up, and just stream, or BT from my phone. I've even considered changing a 20yr conviction and looking at Apple. But they only do the iPod Touch now. Who the hell uses an iPod these days anyway? Why would I want an iPhone, minus the phone ? Why do Volvo seemingly give it the same prominence as USB, and don't even provide a card slot?

Would it be worth looking at a used one on eBay? Can it do what I want, display folders inc compilations? Would it only work via iTunes? Ugh. I hate walled gardens.

Alternatively, does anyone use what we used to call an "mp3" player? Would that work better than a simple USB drive? Could either iPod or MP3 player be left in the card, plugged in, ready to rock?

Or should I just look for a cricket bat?

I love the car. But I cannot believe how inept Volvo's offering on this is🤦🏻‍♂️

Thanks for reading. I do feel better now.
Mike. West Yorks.

MY22 B4P R Design 8 sp auto, Thunder Grey with Climate, Park Assist, Android Auto, Car Protection & mudflaps, Service Plan.

Ordered 02/11/21, collected 17/11/21

Mikeg1

Post by Mikeg1 »

*left in the car 🤦🏻‍♂️
Mike. West Yorks.

MY22 B4P R Design 8 sp auto, Thunder Grey with Climate, Park Assist, Android Auto, Car Protection & mudflaps, Service Plan.

Bocca70

Post by Bocca70 »

Coincidentally, I was looking into this today in the manual as I am coming from a SEAT and currently have a 128GB sd card in the slot in the glovebox with all my music on it. I was considering buying a compact sized usb stick instead but, according to the table in the manual, the Volvo system will only read up to 15000 files so that won’t work. I could dust off my old iPod (it seems old fashioned to have iPod in the menu) but don’t want that where my phone will be. Seems expected that we will all stream these days but I often find tracks missing from albums as the service doesn’t have the rights for them.
R-Design T3 manual MY22 Onyx black
Climate and park assist packs
Spare wheel and Smartphone integration
Volvo sunglasses holder x2
Spare wheel cover
Garmin Dash Cam Mini 2 hardwired

Delivered 12th March 2022
eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

If you use an old iPhone only as music source via CarPlay you’ll loose Bluetooth car connectivity with your phone, won’t be able to make and receive call via Sensus. If your current phone is android I’m sure there’s an app out there enabling to upload playlist and playback on Android Auto.
goldy

Post by goldy »

I have the same problem. I've had my USB stick since 2011and it's worked perfectly in every car I've had except the last two XC40's, they think each track is an album.
Dealer looking into it. I won't hold my breath.
Xc40 T3 auto inscription June 2020. Rubbish.
Xc40 B4 Inscription Pro November 2021.Fabulous.
aj05

Post by aj05 »

Hi I had this problem when I purchased my xc40 a couple of years ago I eventually bit the bullet and trawled through ebay and bought a cheap Ipod end of problems Think I paid about £20,00 saved a lot of problems can now play by artist albums playlists etc name of track artist and album show in display. I treat the i pod as a replacement for the Volvo jukebox I had fitted in my v70 just not hard wired
Deleted User 3629

Post by Deleted User 3629 »

Previous car had a Bose system with 18-speakers and 1500-watts - and a CD player - it was fabulous :D - now just listen to the radio at a sound level less that the noise of the engine :( - and some call this progress ;) .
Felindre

Post by Felindre »

What issues are you getting, and do you have the sensus or android head? I've got a 21 B4 with sensus head. I've ripped all my CD's FLAC format using windows media player, assembled them in folders by artists name, and on a USB stick. This works fine, plays them all, if I switch away to radio, when I return it's remembered the last track I'm playing.

Maybe it's media monkey? I'm just using good old fashioned windows media player, still there in windows 10.
B4 AWD Inscription , Fusion Red, Blond interior. Drivers Assist, Climate, Tinted rear windows and Towing pack.
Ordered 14 Dec 20, delivered 10 March 21
JFDIT

Post by JFDIT »

My USB music is fine. Have several hundred albums ripped to USB in FLAC and the Sensus head works perfectly in every respect every time as Felindre describes.
XC40 MY24 B4 Ultimate Dark, Black Leather, Crystal White, 20" Rims
Lincolnshire England.
Mikeg1

Post by Mikeg1 »

Bocca70 wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:47 pm Coincidentally, I was looking into this today in the manual as I am coming from a SEAT and currently have a 128GB sd card in the slot in the glovebox with all my music on it. I was considering buying a compact sized usb stick instead but, according to the table in the manual, the Volvo system will only read up to 15000 files so that won’t work. I could dust off my old iPod (it seems old fashioned to have iPod in the menu) but don’t want that where my phone will be. Seems expected that we will all stream these days but I often find tracks missing from albums as the service doesn’t have the rights for them.
Exact same on my Karoq. Did you have an Ateca?

I'd expect the Seat/Skoda offering to be similar, both being VAG. My Skoda screen showed exactly what my PC showed. The Volvo doesn't. I even tried a USB to SD card adapter. No difference.

I'm fine with streaming but not when I'm just nipping round to the Co-op for more crumpets.

I'd copy off a test sample from your card to a pen drive you've got lying around and see how it looks. I'd be interested tho in whether iPod handles it better - provided it could be simply left plugged in.
Mike. West Yorks.