Xc40 Panoramic roof wind noise and wet wind net fixes...

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
Harryjones05

Post by Harryjones05 »

OK so dad's 2018 xc40 had wind noise issues and a soaking wet wind net area.... I knew this wet net wasn't right so had a look and found a solution...

Dad went to the main dealers but had very little help with the wind noise, and since then I've discovered the wet wind net...

As the car is out of warranty I thought I'd try and fix the issues for him myself and save him a few quid...

The wet wind net bay can be made to drain well by filing down 2 "plastic walls", one on each side of the net bay under the spring loaded net arms ...Behind these plastic walls are a drainage hole that then leads to the main drainage holes with nubbins around them that drain to the engine bay... You'll need a long round file to file these walls down to let water pass through them, access is minimal so it needs to be a long round file.... Once you get the walls filed with a clear path for the water to flow through you'll no longer have a soaking wet net, poor a jug of water in the net area and you'll see how the roof drains...

For the wind noise fix you need to adjust the sliding roof height... Its quite simple really, all you need is a torx head on a rachet... If you tilt the roof you can pull back the roof seals on both sides of the roof and out of the way... Once you have, close the roof again, if you get a torch you'll see 3 torx head bolts on each side, undo them but only to take pressure off, don't undo fully! These are pinch bolts, and once loose you can go outside and adjust the glass height, you want the sides of the glass roof flush to the roofline and the front of the roof will be below the roof rubber at the front as the glass is curved slightly, this is what you need to avoid wind noise... Once you're happy with the position of the roof, nip the bolts back up tight, that should be your roof noise sorted, then just slide the roof right back to reattach the roof seals, make sure you locate the seals all properly afterwards, double check it all that's they're fully located.. Hopefully it'll also help keep the wind net area dry/drier than it was as the front of the roof should be shielding it better.... I will post pics when the weather is nicer, I've done this today in the rain as I wanted to test the net area and wind noise in the wet... Cheers.

dnyoung607

Post by dnyoung607 »

Recently had my drains checked/cleaned at the dealer. I didn't have a problem but have read that they do clog up. member in USA.