Preconditioning to increase hybrid battery range.

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
Wedgie

Post by Wedgie »

Just been reading the manual, yes I know not something we blokes tend to do, it says preconditioning when plugged in before driving can increase the range of the battery. Anyone tested this ?

Felindre

Post by Felindre »

I guess it means charging it before using. The plug in hybrid will charge the battery as it drives, but if you start off with a fully charged from the mains battery it makes sense.
B4 AWD Inscription , Fusion Red, Blond interior. Drivers Assist, Climate, Tinted rear windows and Towing pack.
Ordered 14 Dec 20, delivered 10 March 21
JFDIT

Post by JFDIT »

I think it's referring to using the climate preconditioning whilst it's still plugged in.
XC40 MY24 B4 Ultimate Dark, Black Leather, Crystal White, 20" Rims
Lincolnshire England.
Greggspies

Post by Greggspies »

I find it reduces the range. It may be because I'm connected by a granny charger, but preconditioning takes the full 10A from the mains and I thing takes some from the battery too. In any event, after the 30 minutes preconditioning, the battery range starts at about 20 miles and drops to about 18 quite quickly. Maybe getting the full 16A charge will prevent this?
MY22 T5 Recharge Inscription Pro in Denim Blue with Blond Interior
m@rk

Post by m@rk »

Two things are happening here

Firstly by warming the battery (or cooling in summer) the battery chemistry is at its most efficient. I'm sure we can debate all day if it's noticeable or measurable

But think about when you get into a cold car. You turn on the rear screen, front screen, heated seats, heated steering wheel and the engine is running cold so less efficient. Not surprisingly in the first few miles, the battery (and/or fuel economy) takes a battering with all these demands. The idea of heating whilst still plugged in is that all these energy demands are powered from the mains power rather than the engine or battery and thus don't deplete the battery literally in the first 5 minutes.

Of course there is also the "smug factor". Getting into a lovely warm car with defrosted windows and warm seats on a cold dark December morning is really rather nice isn't it :)
XC40 T5 Recharge Inscription Pro - Denim & Blonde

Greggspies

Post by Greggspies »

Except, as I described above, it does deplete the battery.
MY22 T5 Recharge Inscription Pro in Denim Blue with Blond Interior
m@rk

Post by m@rk »

Greggspies wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 5:50 pm Except, as I described above, it does deplete the battery.
It maybe down to your use of a granny charger (as you point out)

I find that even when pre heating the car on an icy morning for the full 30 minutes, I still have a full 24 miles of range as I pull off the drive.

I am however using a proper 7kW wall charger at home allowing the car to pull a full 3.7kW via the onboard charger
XC40 T5 Recharge Inscription Pro - Denim & Blonde

typolee

Post by typolee »

Greggspies wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 7:51 pm I find it reduces the range. It may be because I'm connected by a granny charger, but preconditioning takes the full 10A from the mains and I thing takes some from the battery too. In any event, after the 30 minutes preconditioning, the battery range starts at about 20 miles and drops to about 18 quite quickly. Maybe getting the full 16A charge will prevent this?
Strange Im on a granny charger at home. Preconditioning the car when plugged in does not DECREASE my range. I still start off the drive with 27 miles. Preconditioning means the cars heated up so the batter doesn't have to use more energy to get the car heated
typolee

Post by typolee »

Greggspies wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 5:50 pm Except, as I described above, it does deplete the battery.
Doesn't deplete mine so I think you need to get the car in maybe needs an update?
Websta24

Post by Websta24 »

I seem to struggle to get the pre-conditioning to work at all!! Always seems to throw up an error