Bending Lights inoperative - but no fault warning…

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
Noodles

Post by Noodles »

Hi there,

We have a 2020 D4 R-Design Pro fitted with the bending (and cornering) lights.

We don’t drive a huge amount at night - so aren’t sure when the problem arose (possibly during a full main dealer service in which the software could/would/should have been updated?) - but the bending feature definitely used to work but does not anymore. The cornering lights still activate (and deactivate if switched off via the console).

There are no fault symbols, codes or messages…

Any ideas? The only thing I can glean from the manual is that the feature is ambient-light-level dependant - but I’ve tried it in complete darkness as well as dusk. The windscreen in front of the sensor area (I.e. the module in front of the centre mirror) is clean - but in any case, blocking it in some way would, presumably, cause the system to activate in brighter conditions than planned - not stop it working in darker conditions…

bdalameda

Post by bdalameda »

I had this happen once when I parked on a severe downward incline. When I started up at night and the headlights went through the leveling cycle the headlights would not bend. After driving a while and stopping and restarting they began to function normally. I have not had any issues since.

I would try disabling the bending headlight function, turn off the vehicle completely and then re-enable the feature and see if it resets.

Dan
Noodles

Post by Noodles »

Thanks Dan - I’d not thought to try disabling it and then turning the vehicle off - I’d only tried cycling the function running. The other thing(s) I thought of trying were a) trying the other key fob (even though bendy lights are not part of the driver Profile) and b) the Factory Reset option (likely ditto).

Spoke to my VMD service department and they were unable (or unwilling!) to suggest anything other than booking it in…
Noodles

Post by Noodles »

I tried the reset trick - and changing the driver profile to an unused one - and neither worked, unfortunately….
bba

Post by bba »

Mine don’t swivel when the car is stationary but do on the move.
Used to have an XC40 T5 Recharge Inscription Pro MY21 with Polestar and useless Pilot Assist
Noodles

Post by Noodles »

Update:

We eventually booked the car into our main dealer. They returned it after a day and said that they’d needed to reset it and update the SW again - but when that finished, it started working again for them… Warranty job.

Great, we thought… Just tested them tonight and they do *not* work if dipped headlights (our default - we leave this on 24x7) are selected on the stalk…

If I change the stalk to Auto (which we dislike - no rear running lights in the uk and have to rely on the DRLs to be seen…) - it works!

Anyone else get this? We definitely used to get active bending on the standard dipped setting before - and the electronic manual seems to confirm this expectation (“ The function is only active in weak daylight or darkness and only when the car is moving and dipped beam is switched on.”)
Felindre

Post by Felindre »

I'm puzzled by your comment about the rear lights, because mine has full time front and REAR DRL with the switch in auto. Admittedly I don't have the bending lights, but I'm pretty sure all Volvo's I've seen have rear lights on in the daytime.
B4 AWD Inscription , Fusion Red, Blond interior. Drivers Assist, Climate, Tinted rear windows and Towing pack.
Ordered 14 Dec 20, delivered 10 March 21
Gharabli

Post by Gharabli »

Hello Noodles.

My take is the last time I visited the dealer which was around October 2021, the software update made it that active bending lights only work with auto dipped. It used to work with manual dipped. I didn't look too much into it until I took the car to the dealer last week and told them it's not working. We kept trying until I figured it only works with auto dipped. Of course they were clueless..haha. Mine is an XC90, so I guess the software was for al Volvo models. Hope this makes you rest in ease :)
ChrisLF

Post by ChrisLF »

My rear lights aren't illuminated when the front DRLs are on during daylight.

Why do you need the rear ones to be on?
2023 B4 Plus Dark FWD in Silver Dawn. Tinted Rear Windows. Spare Wheel & Tow Bar dealer fitted.

Gone - 2019 T4 R-Design FWD in Bursting Blue. Winter & Convenience Packs, Power Seat, Front Park Assist, Rear Camera, Spare Wheel & Tow Bar.
Felindre

Post by Felindre »

I'll repeat, on my car with the switch in auto both front and rear lights are illuminated with ignition on. I double checked after this was mentioned before.

I like rear lights illuminated day or night so it's obvious from the rear the car is active. Nobody these days leaves parking lights on so it won't confuse anyone.
B4 AWD Inscription , Fusion Red, Blond interior. Drivers Assist, Climate, Tinted rear windows and Towing pack.
Ordered 14 Dec 20, delivered 10 March 21